• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Snow chains rub my springs

I spent big bucks on some heavy duty v-bar chains for my m52. Got them on and tensioned up, drove 1/2 mile at 5 mph and heard a clunk. Checked chains and they are rubbing the springs and spring clamp. One chain came completely off.

I am wondering if anybody has heard of a spacer I can put between the axle and rims that would give me clearance? Otherwise I am going to have to cut these new three rail chains up and make single out of them for my outer rear tires only.

Jakelc15

My 818 suspension should be the same as yours. I've ran chains on mine a couple times. They didn't rub anywhere. What kind of tensioner are you using?
Maybe you can run them loose on the inside and pull them farther to the outside.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you have oversize tires, you may well have a problem. Single chains on duals are next to worthless, if not outright dangerous (not legal some places like British Columbia). The unchained tire holds up the chained tire from cutting in & a 1/2 turn, and your sliding. Does the inside rail have a plain smooth hook? If not, put on on the inside rail & the middle rail. You don't want many extra links on the inside, or you have to wire them back. We never use tensioners - just put them on properly.
The short answer is, since you say one came off, is that you just need more practice putting them on. The problem is never just spinning out - its sliding off the hill backwards. The only thing singles are good for is to put one on a steering tire, and one on the trailer so it will track.

If you have oversize tires, you may well have a problem. Single chains on duals are next to worthless, if not outright dangerous (not legal some places like British Columbia). The unchained tire holds up the chained tire from cutting in & a 1/2 turn, and your sliding. Does the inside rail have a plain smooth hook? If not, put on on the inside rail & the middle rail. You don't want many extra links on the inside, or you have to wire them back. We never use tensioners - just put them on properly.
The short answer is, since you say one came off, is that you just need more practice putting them on. The problem is never just spinning out - its sliding off the hill backwards. The only thing singles are good for is to put one on a steering tire, and one on the trailer so it will track.
side note- this truck is used only on my private 1 mile driveway. Chains were put on new out of box and were tight. From what I can see the inside cam rubbed on the side of the springs until it popped itself loose. I have other trucks with chains for years and they never have any problems.

i was thinking of putting a single chain on outside tire, but it sounds like they don't work well that way. Maybe removing one tire from each dual will work better. The truck has a plow mounted to it.

If your chains have latches that are hitting take them off and just use a hook it's slimmer .when fitting chains on my m52a2 it fit better you only have about 1 1/2 inches to work with. I have not been on the road with them .

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Chains can vary, especially by the Mfg. If they were slightly large (because they are made to fit several tire sizes), they will seat themselves farther down on the sides of the tires, where they are widest. It might be that you can shorten the a little.

I chained up with a single on 11.00 20 highway tire and the same chain on a military 11.0020 they look to fit about the same . the cross bars on this chain are shorter then some of the other chains I have. I though there may be a difference with one tire being flat and one rounded . sorry this does not help.

Attachments

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
It could be the Rim, check that you do not have wide rims, the 10" rims for the 12.00x20s will move the sidewall out, also make sure your tires aired up to the max., this will bring the sidewall in.

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks