• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Snow/Mud chains

hoplite666

Seems to be a fair amount of info out there regarding chains for the 5 tons and dueces. Thoughts/experiences on an m1009?
I love my all terrain's and they are best for me and the limited mud driving I do. There has been two experiences in nasty wet grass that turns to red clay slush once you hit it where I either struggled to free myself or needed a jerk to get through. Never had a problem in the snow. I was thinking of having a set of Rud brand chains for those times I need them.

Last edited:

Artisan

Chains are for people who appreciate the term "Self Recovery" and
whom try to think ahead and CHAIN UP prior to an incident. Does
it take time? YES. Does it take effort? YES. Does it save you HUGE
money on tow bills? YES.

or just go with the mantra "I can make it, I am awesome and so is my truck!" mantra...

If the going looks tough, and if you are far from home Air Down and or CHAIN UP
and drive out instead of getting towed out...

No one is perfect but CHIANS make you THE MAN .
the right tool for the right job.

From the been there and done that club.

Or walk out......... LOL!

dawico

They are a great investment.

Four wheel drive is a basic requirement. I like to go beyond that. I know many people that don't even go that far. To each their own but I am a Boy Scout and like to be prepared for anything.

Chaski

I have had good luck with square link chains on pickups. They wear longer than twisted link chains and can be run "inside out" to get more life out of the crosslinks. I don't know about chain brands, I have had a couple different makes of square link chains, both were mystery imports. One I ordered online from a tire chain website and they were good. 2nd set was ordered from a local Napa store and the cross links were horrible. Some were not closed correctly when crimped. I'd say pull them out of the bag and inspect before you hand over the cash... Other option is to get some used truck chains and cut them down. I live near a major freeway mountain pass and am amazed at the amount of chains I can pick up in the winter. Some are damaged or broke, some are just left in the snow at the bottom of the pass because the truckers don't care to pick them up.

Those Rud chains look nice, but I'd stick with their profi line instead their matic line. They look spensive'

Last edited:

tourus

I think chains are the best thing one can have for when you do need them. I have chains foe both cucv's and both jeeps mine and wifes jeep. now they will help you get out of stuff and they will dig you in deeper if you are not careful. I really like the trygg or Wallingford brand. both have great studded chain. the other great thing chains do is protect tires .

Skinny

Ruds are great!

I've always been a big advocate for running all terrains because they are quiet, more fuel efficient, balance better, etc. and chain up for nasty stuff rather than running super aggressive tires year round. Chains turn even the worst tire into tank tracks.

One thing I will say is with this increased traction, you better be super careful with your throttle and steering. Even the strongest drivelines will spit out parts fast if you do something stupid like wheel hop it or try backing up in reverse with the wheels cranked. On an M1009, those 10 bolts have a hard enough time staying together stock so certainly exercise caution.

I think Americans chase tire size...maybe an ego thing? If you look overseas, chains are way more common place on off road and OTR rigs. I think other countries have more restrictions on tire diameter so some may not have a choice other than chaining up to increase traction.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a very huge dislike for chains 95% of the time they are heavy take a fair amount of time to put on can be very nasty to take off and they need a little care and maintenance, pretty much a big pain in the butt!!! BUT for the 5% of the time I use them they are worth every bit of effort and pain in the butt! THEY WORK and will get you out of trouble like nothing else, winches are good but when you have nothing to hook them to you are out of luck! Invest in chains and if you never use them great but when you need them then you have them!
KK

MarcusOReallyus

I don't know how they'd hold up to heavy off-road use, but I got a set for the family 1 ton van last year that are easy to put on and off, and really make a huge difference in traction. They've got a spring-loaded self-tensioner that works great.

The second time I had to use them, it was FIVE MINUTES from "open my door to get out and put the chains on" to "back in the driver's seat ready to go". Five minutes. I timed it.

My wife can do these things!

http://www.thule.com/en-us/us/produ...ins/van-and-rv/thule-xg-12-pro-225-_-04705225

Keith_J

They were the THING back in the 1930s before off road tires were common, back then only the most major roads were paved. My dad would ride a school bus and on one day, the driver had donned chains. An angry farmer scolded him at a stop "if you want to plow, get off the road and into the field". Yes, they tore up county roads which were mostly native surfaced. Now the least roads are gravel base.

Chaski

Thanks all,
http://chainstop.com/truck-tire-chains/grip

They'd be 108 a pair plus shipping
I'd be worried about tearing those up since they are the quick style chains. That is what I have for my wife's RAV4. What worries me is the durability of the smaller perimeter chain and clips. Seems like that could get damaged easily in deep ruts. I have managed to smash up the stamped sheetmetal cam style chain connections and now I just prefer the open hooks.

hoplite666

I'm only familiar with Rud brand chains. They were featured in Bill Burke's "Getting Unstuck" DVD. Got that DVD back in the day and remember him using that particular brand on his Land Rover. Although, who knows which model he was using or if he was sponsored/paid to use them.

MarcusOReallyus

Those Thule things look great for civilian small tires.
I'd be worried about tearing those up since they are the quick style chains. .... What worries me is the durability of the smaller perimeter chain and clips. Seems like that could get damaged easily in deep ruts... .

Yeah, I think ruts might be a different story. They work great on the road in snow. My van uses the same size tire as my M101A2 trailer and my M1028, so it's a real truck chain, not a passenger car chain.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks