• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Snow plow recommendations

yorkgulch2

I tried a search but did not find much. Other than a stock deuce plow setup, has anyone found a relatively easy to mount civilian plow and mount combo that fits the M35a2 w/w? I am looking for about a 10 ft plow and hopefully the attachments to put it on the deuce with.
If I start now I will probably have it finished by January!

acetomatoco

Take it to your local Municipal Equipment Supply and they will fit a frame to it...Those guys are great for fabbing stuff out of heavy angle iron...

NEIOWA

10ft is a bit puny for a truck the size of a duece. How about a real plow. Easy to find a used municipal snow plow in 11-12ft range.

I have two snow plow units that I will sell. One is on a M35 and the other is on a M135. Let me know if you are interested and I will send pictures. Hydaulics pumps are 24v and are good also. Would be easy to install.

I am in Fresno,

John

yorkgulch2

General
10ft is a bit puny for a truck the size of a duece. How about a real plow. Easy to find a used municipal snow plow in 11-12ft range.

Anything much bigger than 10-11 ft gets hard to manuver in a driveway and on narrow dirt roads with steep hills. Also those plows start to get real heavy. Johns plows in Fresno sound interesting but its a long wey to ship a plow.

BigJay

If I was gonna put a plow on a deuce and do driveways and commercial property I'd do a 10' Boss SuperDuty and add some wings to it. Granted that's going to take a custom mount and some special wiring, which is why I didn't respond to the thread as soon as you posted it. I would NOT use a highway plow unless I was plowing highway with it. Not even one of those giant municipal plows.

But that's me, and I plowed in New Jersey for years... maybe things are different in CO.

-Jay

yorkgulch2

The wings don't hold up well out here. There are to many boulders, narrow roadcuts, and trees.
You are probably right about staying away from the large highway plows but I already have a little 8 ft Meyers heavy duty on my M37. The M37 wasn't big enough for several snows last year. I only plan to plow the mile or so of unmaintained road between me and the class 4 (barely or rarely maintained) county road. In 30 years I have used westerns (red), meyers (yellow), snowways (blue), and plows made of red yellow and blue parts from all of them but never a Boss. I will take a look around for one it might be just the right size.

FSBruva

Keep in mind that with a multifuel engine and a winch, the front axle loads are way beyond what the Reo designers originally planned on. Not to say it can't handle it, but adding a plow to boot - might get interesting.

Matt

yorkgulch2

Keep in mind that with a multifuel engine and a winch, the front axle loads are way beyond what the Reo designers originally planned on. Not to say it can't handle it, but adding a plow to boot - might get interesting.

Matt

Matt,
Almost every non-commercial plow application overloads the front axle. Probably mostly with plow up rather than plow down.

FSBruva

I know... I am just pointing out that the deuce axles are closer to overload than say... the 5 ton axles, where each axle could handle the entire weight of a deuce.

Also, there's got to be at least a couple good reasons why the military chooses to use 5 tons and Humvees to plow rather than deuces.

Matt

yorkgulch2

Tom, Your right about power steering. I have it on the m37 and just got an air-o-matic system to install on the m35. By the way do you ever see m621's or the Norweign tractors (swb) for sale? Lockers would be nice.

houdel

Re: RE: Snow plow recommendations

NEIOWA said:
Easy to say, but probably not a good choice for a Deuce. As the plow size goes up, the beating that your truck has to take increases expotentially. The Deuce is underpowered as it is, fairly strong but not made to take that kind of abuse. Might work in easy large, flat areas like a big parking lot, but would likely tear the heck out of a Deuce doing driveways and unpaved roads.

yorkgulch2

RE: Re: RE: Snow plow recommendations

I have been using m37's for 7 years with 7 1/2-8 foot plows. They work fine till the snow gets to deep. I need something with more weight like the deuce. The trick is to size the plow right. Not to big but long enough to be wider than the wheels at full angle. You certainly don't want a highway plow on it, though I have seen m35's with big highway plows. If you go slow, plow down hill and make a couple of passes you have no problems.

houdel

Re: RE: Re: RE: Snow plow recommendations

yorkgulch2 said:
IIf you go slow, plow down hill and make a couple of passes you have no problems.
And single out the rears for better traction!

yorkgulch2

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Snow plow recommendations

Lee, I went to 395/85/20's this spring. So far I have gone to super singles, power steering, heater, and solargize,r my justification is preparing the m35 for snow plow duty. By the time I get the plow on I could have bought an old grader!! But it will make tha better hunting truck than a grader!

pa.rich

Yes Mike was right about the military trucks not being good for plowing. You need good insulation on the cab, good defrosters and heat, and I agree you do need a bigger truck for the snow drifts, but a civi 10 ton would be more comfortable and plow just as well. Especially if you ran chains on her. The spring travel on my five ton isnt much on the front and with a 3 ton plow hanging 8 to ten ft out front with it angled it puts alot of leverage and weight on her.I would rather run a single rear axle with chains, like a five to 6 yard dump with an 11 ft. plow on it . the cabs are much warmer and made for any weather with good heaters and defrosters. And quieter and a radio! Been there, done that. 8) And with a dump you can put some gravel in the back for weight and just dumpit on a pile for next time if you want.

APM215

I rigged a 9' western plow to the front of a M135 and it worked pretty good.
My Dads farm had a long and narrow driveway maby 1/4 mile long.
we had the truck just sitting there and we had a blade so one day I put them to gather.
Slow speed plowing and little to no truing.
but free snow plow and it worked good.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
i used a 9' meyer commercial for years in MD. the trucks do not hold up well to salt, the truck is just a pile of rust today. it had power steering, which i think would be a must have.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks