• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

So am I nucking futz or not?

michigandon

OK so our winter beater died a painful and unexpected death a few weeks ago, and the wife INSISTS on having a 4x4 vehicle of some sort on hand. The more I shop around looking at other trucks and jeeps the more appealing I'm finding these babies simply for there sheer "bang for your buck" factor. :twisted: I figure that if you get one of these stuck, you've got no business being out in that kinda weather in the first place. Being able to haul home a whole seasons worth of firewood in a single trip wouldn't be anything to complain about either. I do have a few questions:

How wide is an M35a2? I have a fenced in yard with (I think) an 8' wide gate. I would like to be able to enter the yard and offload firewood through the basement window.

How well does the air-assisted steering work? My brother worked for a guy many years ago that had an old International Transtar with air-assisted steering and it wasn't worth a damn. I would like to [eventually] add this so that it would be easier for my wife to drive.

Besides the "super singles", are there any other one piece wheel/radial tire conversions that are more *affordable*? Don't get me wrong the supers are awesome, but shoo mama, they more than double the price of a decent truck! :-o I would just want a decent all around mud and snow tire. I know the stock NDTs leave a little to be desired.

So would one of these work for me for a tertiary vehicle, or should I come back down to planet Earth and keep shopping for a 4x4 pickup? I know they ain't the fastest, quietest, or most comfortable machines in the world, but that just makes me want one that much more! :twisted:

Don:grin:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I always wondered how I got along before I had a deuce. Now I wonder how I ever got along before having a crane.

BugEyeBear

You're gonna need a wider gate!

& Air Assist Steering is not standard. Typically steering is very hard in tight manuvering situations. Air Assist is an available option/add-on, but it can be pricey!

Be sure you get one with an in cab heater if you are planning on doing winter driving. Ones with a hard top usually have a heater & extra cab insulation.

-Bear-

ABN173

Don,

I in addition to my family I also support my Mom so there was no way I could afford a new 4x4 truck, I was getting ready to move from GA to WA where I would see snow and ice so I bought my first cucv for that reason. Now I have an addiction as well:-D There will definitely be more MV's in my future. Heck while other guys are spending $500+ on a monthly truck payment I paid $1900 on mine back in March and I have only had to perform an oil change and it is my daily driver to and from work. I even went on a rally where I put a couple hundred miles on it. I say go for it.

Dale

roscoe

I bought 3 this year and have been very pleased with all of them. 8 feet isn't going to be wide enough to squeeze through. I don't think the NDTs are all bad. I vote you just get one, you can always get your money back out of it.

michigandon

Air Assist Steering is not standard. Typically steering is very hard in tight manuvering situations. Air Assist is an available option/add-on, but it can be pricey!
I see that the kit retails for aboot 1500 bux a pop, so that is something that would have to come later. But it would definitely have to come I'm afraid.

Be sure you get one with an in cab heater if you are planning on doing winter driving. Ones with a hard top usually have a heater & extra cab insulation.
Cab heat is definitely a must have. Hard top would also be preferred but not mandatory, same goes for a winch.

michigandon

Don,

I in addition to my family I also support my Mom so there was no way I could afford a new 4x4 truck, I was getting ready to move from GA to WA where I would see snow and ice so I bought my first cucv for that reason. Now I have an addiction as well:-D There will definitely be more MV's in my future. Heck while other guys are spending $500+ on a monthly truck payment I paid $1900 on mine back in March and I have only had to perform an oil change and it is my daily driver to and from work. I even went on a rally where I put a couple hundred miles on it. I say go for it.

Dale
Hi Dale,

A few years ago I was wanting an M1009 Blazer. Alas, it seemed as though every one I saw come up for sale was either a thrashed out rust bucket or a parade queen, and I was wanting something that was kinda in the middle of those two extremes...not unlike what I'm looking for in a Deuce!

maker

I say get one. It won't cost too much to make the gate a tad bigger. I don't have a MV yet (soon i'll get mine) but if my wife wanted a 4x4 truck I'd build her a whole new fence with a bigger gate and a frickin 'organic' flower garden surrounding it.

ABN173

Hi Dale,

A few years ago I was wanting an M1009 Blazer. Alas, it seemed as though every one I saw come up for sale was either a thrashed out rust bucket or a parade queen, and I was wanting something that was kinda in the middle of those two extremes...not unlike what I'm looking for in a Deuce!
I hear you Don, the only reason I do not already have something larger is that I am still on base in government quarters, that would not fly. I'm still looking though. I will probably breakdown and get a Deuce out of Redstone and just have my Dad hold it for me in Alabama. It will probably wait until my next deployment when I have some extra cash but soon enough I'll have one.

davidkroberts

you can put different tires on the same stock m35 rims. it really isnt prefered but you can do it. look around in the deuce modification thread and youll find info ad nauseum. You can also just get a m715 or CUCV. a m35 is great but the military is full of different types of vehicles. Personally for snow/ice i prefer a unimog 404 (comes with tire chains) and is easier to start when its cold.

michigandon

Um, a 404 has spark plugs. I'm afraid that wouldn't work. I am allergic. :oops:

Wouldn't mind having an M715...IF it was set up like the one Lee Alessi built!

Rattlehead

Um, a 404 has spark plugs. I'm afraid that wouldn't work. I am allergic. :oops:
Yep, save those spark plug motors for commuter cars and push mowers.

Welcome to the ever-growing crowd of Michigan MV-heads.

If you're driving around in your back yard with a deuce, hopefully you don't mind ruts, even if its fairly dry. Hope its a decent sized yard so you can maneuver. Turning radius is not very good, even IF you have power steering. Maybe you should buy a deuce, and if you find it not too practical, get a CUCV for lighter duty work. Of course, keep them both!

jimmcld

Our deuce is exactly 8 feet wide. If you have a little clearance on your gate, it would make it through, as long as it's shorter than the mirrors. Or, you could fold them in. As for a hard top, I believe an good insulated soft top is just as good, if not better, than a hard top. Most of the hard tops are bent in where some private has been walking on it, and they rust. Also, you can get the air-assist for less than $1500. A few months ago, we were selling them for $650.

michigandon

I know a pickup truck will go through it with plenty of room to spare on each side. I do realize that doesn't necessarily mean that a Deuce will however.

michigandon

Yep, save those spark plug motors for commuter cars and push mowers.
My "commuter car" is a Jetta TDI. And I'd give my eyeteeth to find a compression-ignition pushmower!

If you're driving around in your back yard with a deuce, hopefully you don't mind ruts, even if its fairly dry. Hope its a decent sized yard so you can maneuver. Turning radius is not very good, even IF you have power steering. Maybe you should buy a deuce, and if you find it not too practical, get a CUCV for lighter duty work. Of course, keep them both!
My yard is roughly one acre, in an odd "golf club" shape. My brothers both have plenty of acreage that they'll probably let me play around on though, especially if I help 'em cut and move trees! The Emerald Ash are dying like flies around here. :sad: