• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

So are CUCV's metric or not?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I personally like SAE. It's just what I've grown up with and am used to. I have heard machinist say that the metric system creates certain problems when you start getting into close tolerances but I'm unsure why.

I do kind of have a problem with doing something just because the rest of the world is doing it. That argument never worked with your mom so why should it now. :smile:

jesusgatos

...and that's why we're stuck with the American system (because people like what they know/are comfortable with). It's not that we should switch to the metric system because everybody else is doing it - it's just BETTER. Clearly, measurably, obviously better. In every way. The American system of measurement is antiquated, and should be abandoned. Inches, feet, yards, teaspoons, tablespoons, cups, pints, quarts, gallons - it's all more confusing than keeping score of a tennis match. Nonsense. The metric system on the other hand, is very sensible. Meters, grams, and liters. Multiples of ten.

67_C-30

The American system of measurement is antiquated, and should be abandoned. Inches, feet, yards, teaspoons, tablespoons, cups, pints, quarts, gallons - it's all more confusing than keeping score of a tennis match. Nonsense.
No, it's really not. I have absolutely no trouble keeping up with it. Its interesting that the world that shuns the antiquated SAE system have no problem using the SAE pressure standard. We have many Japanese built CNC machines at the plant that are all metric, but use psi gauges for the hydraulic pumps. I wonder why pounds per square inch is sure favored over kilopascals per square centimeters? Degrees centrigrade is not as precise as a measurement as degrees fahrenheit. The divisions are smaller, so you can get a little more precise readings if you need it. How about metric versions of degrees or time. Ever heard of a metric clock with 10 somethings per day? There's a system in place, but deciday and centiday haven't quite caught on. Base units equivalent to decimal divisions of the day, such as 1/10, 1/100, 1/1000, or 1/100,000 day, or other divisions of the day, such as 1/20 or 1/40 day, have also been proposed, with names such as tick, meck, chi, chron, moment, etc., and multiple and submultiple units formed with metric prefixes. The point is all systems are numbers that are relative to some type of measure so what’s the difference and why does anyone have to change?

I will admit that if we had started out with the metric system, it would probably be simpler. But the SAE system was already in place here, and now metric coming here has caused the problems with having two sets of tools, etc. Its not the other way around. Going to full metric will make nearly anything made in this country over 25 - 30 years old obsolete. As years go by, standard fasteners, fittings, adapters, tubing, etc. would be come harder and harder to find, which would in turn drive up of the prices to keep, maintain, and use older equipment. It would make this hobby much expensive as time went by as well. I'm just not a fan of falling in line to a system that's main advantage is being that it is dumbed down to be "easier", when it serves no other advantage over the system that was already in place. Especially, at the cost it would have in the long term. I hope the full "change" never happens in my lifetime.

twright

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just to let you all know Jimmy Carter tried to change to the metric system when he first became president he is also why we have signs on our highways like they have in Europe. That is one of the things that is killing the US we have got to be like everybody else. One more thing GM started to use metric Bolts in the seventies, Due to Jimmy Carter because he thought it was a better system

mf5129

all you need to think about is adding anouther set of tools.for most routine jobs.you only need a 10,12,15,17 to 22 mm.there are some interchangable sizes with sae.the 10,12,15 are the most widely used in auto work.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
...and that's why we're stuck with the American system (because people like what they know/are comfortable with). It's not that we should switch to the metric system because everybody else is doing it - it's just BETTER. Clearly, measurably, obviously better. In every way. The American system of measurement is antiquated, and should be abandoned. Inches, feet, yards, teaspoons, tablespoons, cups, pints, quarts, gallons - it's all more confusing than keeping score of a tennis match. Nonsense. The metric system on the other hand, is very sensible. Meters, grams, and liters. Multiples of ten.
"We" aren't stuck with the American system and neither are you. I rather like American but thats just my opinion. You are free to buy anything you want in metric. You say it's better. Clearly, measurably, obvioulsy better! Please cite your sources on this. I've not been able to find a reputable source for your statement. I find the metric system equally confusing. How long is a gram anyways? LOL Next you will want to abandon the english language just the same as it's antiquated and confusing. I'm no math major but fractions are really quite simple. I have no problem with either but I see no need to abandon a system that has been in place and functioning well since the early 1900s. If it's not broke, don't fix it. Too bad Gov't can't follow that lead!

Last edited:

Wolf.Dose

I have some ings to add:
When I started on MV, there were GMC, Dodges, Jeep of WWII, all in inches. I had to learn that, no choise!
When I rebuilt my M715 the first time, I had to use the SAE System.
When I owned the M1009 the enigine is full metric except where SAE parts were connected. However, the US invented new wrench sizes for the bolts we were used and which are standardised in the metric system. You as the japanese use for M8 12 mm, we use 13 mm according DIN EN ISO standarts.
I own some repair manuals, where metric sizes, which realy need precission, are calculated into inches with 12 didgets behind the dot, just 90,00 mm.
And one more thing: Officially the US changed to the metric system in 1980, so 30 years time to learn.
However, we still used pound (German, which is 500 Gramm instead of the US pound of 453.6 gramm) and Zentner(Which is 100 German pounds or 50 kg) which officially became illegal in 1901.
The Britisch also use stone, cw, short ton, long ton.
The time is worldwide measuered in the Hexagonal system, so there is no need to change it.
When I started my University studis the pressure was measured in bar, then in Pascal, then in MPa, then in kPa. I had to get used to it.
So you should get used to the metric system!
Wolf

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've seen all kinds of metric stuff but one thing I haven't seen is metric pipe. I have seen metric hyd tubing, what I'm talking about is iron pipe. Do they make metric iron pipe? We install a bunch of metric machinery in factories. Everything on them will be metric except iron pipe used for air lines and such.

Another thing is building. I'm not sure about overseas but I've never seen a building in the US built on the meteric system.

One thing the American system is good for is I can step something off if I don't have a tape handy and get pretty close. 1 average step= 1 yard, 1 average size (literal) foot= 1 foot.

I was taught the American system pretty early in life. The school system tried to shove metric down my throat but it didn't take. You'd be suprised how many people can't read a tape measure these days ( American or metric).

mikes47jeep

it reminds me of what an old mechanic told me

if aint standard, its metric... if it aint metric its standard, and **** chevy for useing both on the same model

and to quote grandpa simpson

"The metric system is the tool of the devil!!! My car gets forty rods to the hogshed and that's the way I likes it."

Mike

Wolf.Dose

Why a water tube is not metric?
The answer is simple: These tubes shall not be mixed with hydraulic tubes of simelar size.
The threat is Witworth, thread flange angle is 55° instaed of 60° for metric. And the tube size has directly nothing to do with the thread diameter. But that is related on british technical history and was taken over in the late 18th century from the continent with the upcomming of steam engines.
And the Witworth cone angle is different than the cones used for hydraulic threads for example.
Wolf

nattieleather

I don't see how one system is supior to another. Both have their problems and both have their good points. 8mm or .308 both are going to put a big hole in something.... :lol:

JGBallew

If you've worked on enough British stuff, you end up with SAE, Metric and BSF/BSW.
Metric/SAE mixes are a mild annoyance at worst, once you've dealt with enough of both.

PsycoBob

For fasteners (at least the bits I need to stick a tool on) I much prefer metric- none of this trying to figure out which allen wrench sizes are after 13/64" but below 1/4". Especially when I need 3 sets because some manufacturers skipped the smaller increments. 1/64" for the first part of the set, then 1/32, then 1/8 for the biggest- I always find one that's just over the last increment change.

Bad enough to need 6pt & 12pt short & deep sockets, as well as 6pt impacts short & deep- plus a few 8pt ones thrown in. Add regular wrenches, including flare/tubing wrenches. Now double that, so you have two of everything, for both ends of the fastener. Now add metric versions. Fortunately, I don't use anything but 1/4" & 1/2" drive stuff until I get up to 3/4" impacts.

I need ALL of them in metric & inch, just to work on my car. Most of my '01 Mercury Grand Marquis uses metric- until I'm under the car, up to my shoulder, with a few extra bends to reach the impossible fastener- then it'll be inch-standard.

My M109 is all standard, except for the battery-cable bolts on the huge German-built inverter. Those are 14mm.

Matt1031

Like just about every other American vehicle built in the 80's, CUCV's use a mix of both metric and SAE.

Just look for the grade markings on the head and you'll know which wrench to grab. They are easy enough to see.
If you see "8.8" or "10.9" it's definitely metric.
If you see three or six radial hash marks, it's definitely SAE (Grade 5 and Grade 8 respectively)

If it's a nut or you see no marks, use common sense and think about when that particular part was originally designed. For example a 14 bolt rear end was first designed in 1957 so it uses SAE fasteners. The 6.2l engine was designed in the early 80's so it uses mostly metric.

Google "Bolt grade markings" if you want a chart showing a different Metric, SAE, AN (Aircraft bolts), and ASTM (Structural Steel bolts) markings and how the strengths compare.

1"= 25.4mm Memorize this conversion factor and you'll never have to look it up again.

Notes on wrenches:
16mm and 5/8" wrenches are generally close enough to be near interchangeable. Same goes for 19mm and 3/4".
1/2" and 13mm are different enough that a 13mm wrench will round off a 1/2" bolt head, so don't mix them up. Some brands of wrech hold closer tolerances than others. For example: a 1/2" Snap-On wrench will *not* fit on a 13mm bolt head, but a Craftsman 1/2" wrench is often sloppy enough to work on a 13mm hex.

Last edited:

saddamsnightmare

August 11, 2012.

Metric- invented by the folks who made "Le Car".... If the almighty meant us to use metric, the Model "T" would have been metric... Unfortunately, the Unimog is metric, and it causes no end of aggravation trying to locate bolts of the right grade to do repairs. The deuce was almost never a problem in that regards....

Just my2cents worth. I think Whitworth had a better thread at 55* inclusive, then either the metric or SAE standards, but there have been a lot of bolt thread designs historically, anyone here worked on machinery with a "sellers" thread (Wm. Sellers, Phila. Machinist & Fire Apparatus builder-1830-1890, thread was obsolete by 1880)?
Every blacksmith and machinist before 1904 had his own ideas as to what constituted a good thread design.fat lady sings

Skinny

I have to say that in a standard automotive application, SAE or metric has no clear advantage. I have to agree, **** Chevy for using both. Only stupid engineers would do that requiring double the number of tools, fasteners, and thread repair equipment. Not to sound biased but that is why I prefer Jap designed equipment. Servicability in the field is so much easier. I could carry a handful of wrenches and take the whole truck apart. Then again, I can carry everything except a lift in the back of the M1031 :)

I think US spec vehicles wouldn't be so bad if they just stuck to one or the other. Maybe not a problem for a weekend warrior but when you fix them daily...it gets old pretty fast.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks