• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

So far!

cfish

Ok, new exhaust system, K&N filter a new CDR valve and a new fuel filter. Each one brought my gas mileage up. I started at 14MPG and last tank netted me 21MPG. Have also run a few bottles of Lucas fuel treatment thru it.

Cucvnut

I was thinking of cutting off my stock mufflers and Installing my magnaflow mufflers. I wish cdr valves were not so expensive

stampy

I did a cold air intake (ram air) from the front right near the batteries there is a knockout there. I got flexable plasic tubing at autozone ($19.99) and ran it direct to the intake. I also run a K@N. When your batteries go I put two red top gelcels in the upper battery tray and removed the lower one. Less weight and I may want a toolbox or inverter there one day. I rccomend replacing all of your old lines and hoses as you have time and cleaning and dielectric greasing every electrical connection and fuse. Many here also remove their instrument cluster to paint it silver inside (the white part you don't see) and it improves the instrument lighting at night. Finally I put on a spin on fuel filter to simplify filter changes and hey it's 7$ vs 25$ every time you change it, not to mention you don't need to kill the batteries trying to prime it.;-)

cfish

I have already replaced the belts. I have new radiator hoses and will start replacing all vacum and other lines. WHen you use the dialectric grease where exactly do you apply it. I have used it on Spark plug boots before to keep the plugs from sticking over time. Do you use it directly on the fuses and connections etc.?
Oh its a M1009!!

stampy

Yes always on the male end of the plug and I use it on my fuses too. I have solved more electrical gremlins by cleaning and greasing than any amount of wire tracing. I scraped my fuses with my knife to make sure they were nice and shiny.

cfish

Thanks. Oh and I have the red top Gel cells in my m1009 now as well. I like the idea of putting them together for weight and room.

stampy

Oh and Doghead put a starter relay mod on here also (look up the thread) I plan on doing that soon also so I don't have the dreaded runaway starter. I also put in a powered rear window out of a civy blazer with the control up front...it makes it real easy

stampy

Where does your charge indicator sit? Mine is typically just barely in the green. I wondered if it had to do with the red top batteries.

cfish

I picked up the relay for Dogheads conversion yesterday. Plan to do it next weekend. I need to pick your brain about the rear window. I like the idea of not having to wind it down.

stampy

Easy, It took about an hr to run power down the frame and wire the switch and replace the window regulator. The BEST part is it looks stock from outside. I had a buddy that had the old blazer so the part was free (Thanks Stump!). You can either piggy back a fuse (they have fuse piggy backs at parts stores ) or pull off power directly and inline fuse it. I cut a hole in the dash near the ashtray and mounted the window switch. Frankly it took longer to put a stereo in than wire this mod.

cfish

I will look into this for sure. I was driving home from work past a large salvage yard and noticed two older Blazers along the highway. I may take a day and some tools and visit for parts.

cfish

I think any component on any vehicle that deals with the engine performing properly, will help with mileage. I did each step one at a time and noticed an increase in mileage with everything I did.

mutt1966

If any of the Blazers have the sliding glass side-windows get them or if they have any tinted windows get them too it makes a big difference in the summer when installed. Scott out

Cucvnut

I installed a K&N also and I thi.k that helped. So ill clean the CDR valve and see bow that goes. I know the mufflers are horrible and. It very free flowing. So ill think about cutti.g them out and Installing my magnaflows