• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

So, How reliable is the M1009 vs. The Deuce?

N3VZA

So I can buy a purpose built M35A2 that cost us $88k in 1971 for, say $3500, or get a 1986 Chevy Blazer Diesel knock off for the same or more money. Please tell me why I should have both? I want both, just need some justification... Thanks.

pctrans

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You need the M35 for the novelty of it. You also need the M1009 for the versatility. They make a pretty decent daily driver, as long as you don't live in the deep south (no A/C). Add a stereo and some sound insulation, and you can go pretty much anywhere you want.

Flyingvan911

You get a deuce because it is cool, you need a large/powerful truck, or you want to be able to drive through severe conditions. Mostly it is a hobby and labor of love. It's nothing you need, just something you want.

If you want justification, when any kind of apocolyps occurs, you will be ready. Especially zombie invasions which have been in the movies and tv alot lately. And if it's on tv, it has to be true. :p

Doc Bingo

Personal experience ???

Ouch !!! Good point though ... cuz the wife wasn't too pleased when I used her chevy 2500hd duramax which is lifted 6inches and has 37 nitto MUDs which had never been off road since we bought it in 2005 ... I turned it from pristine pearl white to a slight reddish mud color .... To get my m1009 out .......Needless to say she was um ... Upset !!! Hahahahaha

Last edited:

N3VZA

I feel to Deuce is bulletproof, seems like the M1009 is a sad example of Chevy know how in the 80's. Based on the $ that Uncle Sam put into the Deuce, the M1009 should be going for about $1000. Please prove me wrong...

OL AG '89

I feel to Deuce is bulletproof, seems like the M1009 is a sad example of Chevy know how in the 80's. Based on the $ that Uncle Sam put into the Deuce, the M1009 should be going for about $1000. Please prove me wrong...
The Duece is a duece, the M1009 is a M1009, built for distinctly different missions in the military.
The duece is not a "practical" daily driver, unless you drive in open fields, not around other civvy vehicles, and parking in a parking garage or on a downtown street would be a new experience for all involved.

The M1009 is a decent daily driver, sans the current required "creature" comforts, easily, economically added, including A/C.....
It easy an inexpensive to maintain, most parts available at your local parts place
so get both, an enjoy!!!!

91W350

You need the M35A2 to recover the M1009 when you bury it in mud up to the frame .
If you can get close enough to the M1009 with the deuce to recover the M1009. I find that my M1009s are pretty nimble and capable off road. I have not been in much mud with my deuce yet, but I can tell it pushes the front tires horribly and the NDTs do not climb out of ruts very well, leaving the front end to follow the ruts left by the vehicle ahead of me. It is also quick to spin the tires, mine has new Titan T-Hawks on it. Glen

QuickSilver

Ouch !!! Good point though ... cuz the wife wasn't too pleased when I used her chevy 2500hd duramax which is lifted 6inches and has 37 nitto MUDs which had never been off road since we bought it in 2005 ... I turned it from pristine pearl white to a slight reddish mud color .... To get my m1009 out .......Needless to say she was um ... Upset !!! Hahahahaha
Well heck, what does she have it all set up for off road for then?? :mrgreen:

Dave87

Do you need a m35.... no. Do you need a m1009....... no but this is america and if you want it you should get it. I myself want a fleet of trucks but dont have the funding like the us government so i have one, a good start. I digress my opinion would be get the 1009 first and the get the m35, theres no reason not to.

LanceRobson

OK, that's easy to do.

The value of any item is not established by it's original cost, it's utility, functionality or any other factor but one. The value of an item is determined by what a willing buyer will pay for it at any moment in time.

As a proportion of original cost and functional capability smaller vehicles will always trend more expensive than larger ones. More folks can store one,, have a place to work on one, can visualize themselves owning one, can afford parts etc. As already stated, most CUCV parts are available through any parts outlet while there a relatively few outlets for MV specific parts. Additionally, many folks just don't have the inclination to buy a bigger truck.

We see this played out throughout the used vehicle world. A WWII jeep cost 2-4 times what most cargo trucks do. A 1968 Mustang will sell for more than a 1968 stake rack cargo truck etc.

It even plays out in the new vehicle world. A while back I delivered some stuff to a buyer outside Philadelphia, PA and picked up an M101A1 trailer from a different seller. On the way home I stopped at a Ford truck dealer that specialized in commercial vehicles. I wanted to look at a utility truck as a replacement for my current work truck.

They had a pair of crew cab F550s. They had front captain's chairs, 6 disk CD players, dual zone heat/AC, diesel engines, auto transmissions etc. The bare chassis were priced at $37K and the 12' walk in fiberglass utility boxes brought the total price to $49K.

The F350 crew cab diesels pick up trucks (no utility box-standard beds) were in the $48-54K range.

I asked the sales manager what the story was. He stated that the pick-up truck market lets them use a 30% or higher mark up for the factory price for a light truck such as the F350 and folks are willing to pay it but the F550 is in the medium truck class which has a lot more manufacturers. As a result the F550 mark up is very much less.

The moral of that story was that even though the F550 is a far more capable truck there would have been far fewer willing buyers at the higher price.

Lance

ixpacman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
reliable schmiable

I am in the scrap metal business and am currently using my m35a2 for scrap processing and my m1008 is an excellent support vehicle. Easily towed by the m35 and very useful for jumpstarting and other maintainance related duties. The trucks are very compatible and reliable . I think reliability is not even relevant since both vehicles are very easily maintainable ,parts are ,up until now very obtainable, and are both vehicles that complement each other. In short if you own both automatically they are both easier to own and or maintain. I would strongly recommend a m105 and a m101 trailer to increase the versatility of both trucks. The military obviously planned the compatible relationship of these equipment combinations so I am happy to take advantage of their engineering. Hats off to military surplus.
ixpacman

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've OWNED both.

Loved my Deuce. It WAS my daily driver. It WAS my vehicle of choice. BUT IT REQUIRED SOLDIER B WAY TOO MUCH for maintenance. I do MOST of my own work. So constantly NEEDING an extra set of hands just to get a task done was a pain.

After I sold the deuce, I bought my first M1009. I now own two. PLUS my M1028A2 dually that allows me to do almost EVERYTHING my deuce used to do.

I will say that my M1028A2 with one of my M101 trailers will ALLOW ME TO HAUL AS MUCH as my deuce. Perhaps not by weight, but definitely by volume. And they are MUCH easier to drive around town.

I LOVE MY CUCV's. I loved my deuce. I'll never own another deuce. But I am considering an M1028A3 to add to my CUCV collection. OR perhaps an M1010.

The Duece is a duece, the M1009 is a M1009, built for distinctly different missions in the military.
The duece is not a "practical" daily driver, unless you drive in open fields, not around other civvy vehicles, and parking in a parking garage or on a downtown street would be a new experience for all involved.

The M1009 is a decent daily driver, sans the current required "creature" comforts, easily, economically added, including A/C.....
It easy an inexpensive to maintain, most parts available at your local parts place
so get both, an enjoy!!!!
AG said it best. Deuce is a helluva beast to have and play with, the M1009 CAN be made into a great daily driver with minimal modifications!

N3VZA

Thanks to all for your helpful and insightful posts (which - as you may agree - is not always the case on SS).

I love my Deuce and have caught green fever in a big way. I giggle every time I pull into my neighbourhood and see it sitting in my driveway. I use it as the biggest toy in my box and as a novelty to drive the cadets in my Civil Air Patrol Squadron on emergency services exercises. I was just wondering if the M1009 would be as bulletproof and dummyproof (me) as the Deuce seems to be.

Thanks again to you and SS!

91W350

The glow and fuel systems are the biggest problems on the M1009. Some people seem to have charging issues. As a driver though, they are very hard to beat. Good on fuel, easy to maintain, reliable and fun to drive. As long as you are not wanting to run 36 inch tires or plan to go rock crawling, a M1009 is capable of doing a lot of work. Nice driving trucks, comfortable, solid transportation. Compared to modern diesels, they are a turd. I say buy one and enjoy it for what it is. Glen

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am reserved about owning an M1008 orM1009. After years of watching posts of problems on here, the posts of problems with the 1008 and 1009 are probably four to one more than the deuce or five ton. Chevy did not do well on the engine design. They seem to be like Harleys though in that though they are a problem, people still love them, and I am happy they do, sharing the joy of owning a military truck. It looks to me like if you got a good one, it serves well. If you got a bad one, it is a pain. I personally do not like problems because I like to depend on reliability. Our deuces and five tons are serving us very faithfully on the farm.
Regards Marti

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks