• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

So I bought a GB125 gen set and cant find anything on it.

jmenende

Hi guys. I recently bought a GB125 125kw generator set on trailer from gov planet. I cant seem to find any info on this unit and im guessing its a civiliar unit from Cummins Onan that was painted green. The internal label from Cummins says its a 125DGEA and its painted Cummins blue inside. The mystery is that why would it have a military id with stock number and I cant find any manuals or info on it online. My only source is Cummins at this point.

reset2

Sounds interesting. Can you post your GP auction number? I don't know anything about it but someone here I'm sure will.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi guys. I recently bought a GB125 125kw generator set on trailer from gov planet. I cant seem to find any info on this unit and im guessing its a civiliar unit from Cummins Onan that was painted green. The internal label from Cummins says its a 125DGEA and its painted Cummins blue inside. The mystery is that why would it have a military id with stock number and I cant find any manuals or info on it online. My only source is Cummins at this point.
At one point the military was running short on generators, so they purchased a bunch of civilian generators on the open market, painted them military colors, and sent them out to units. Because they were smaller purchases the military never came up with any type of paperwork, and everything went straight through the manufacturers.

I've never seen a list of all the different types of generators these were, but it wouldn't surprise me if this was from that situation.

Chainbreaker

I reviewed the GP link. Engine sounds good couldn't verify any of the voltage meters though as they were out of focus. Regardless, you got a runner! However, those tires are dry rotted so plan on replacing.

I noticed "125 DGEA" as a model # on one of the placards and Googled "125 DGEA Generator" and got LOTS of hits. You can probably order an engine manual from Cummins for it or there was an online place that showed up wanting $9.95 for a manual.

I'm wondering if that Unit was perhaps used by the Army Corps of Engineers based on the Raytheon used on descriptions for NSN 3820-01-437-5703

Guyfang

Staff member
Stay safe buddy, you are invaluable to this forum. Here is the original listing since I cant upload fotos here.
https://www.govplanet.com/jsp/s/item/2101611?do=1
I will take a look see as soon as I can find my govplanet password.

Trying to stay safe. We are on lock down as of 00:00 this coming morning. Got lots of books, puzzles and my stamp collection to fool with, as well as the SS forum.

Guyfang

Staff member
I looked up the NSN and this is what it said it was used for.

USED ON POWER WASHING AND SCREENING PLANT

When I remember back to my WOC days, this meant a sand and gravel operation. We learned about the operation, and to "help" improve or knowledge, we replaced about 10 million rollers for the convener belt system. I never got to see the gen set powering it. But I have seen one. In the DRMO in K-Town, Germany. Maybe 2010? It looked well set up, easy to work on. And the engine says it all. Should be a good gen set.

jmenende

I got real lucky with this unit. Built in 1997 and only 3k hours on it but she started right up and produced power. I had to go to the local cummins dealer to get all maint specs. I must have removed a ton of sand from the unit after powerwashing and it had a double air filters and now i know why. Very low rust and the trailer is solid. The tires were rotten and I already replaced them but im still skeptical. The trailer uses 11r22.5 truck tires and the whole thing weighs 10600 lbs so I have a few hundred pounds to spare based on the tire rating but its too close for comfort. I plan to take off the cable spool and add a fuel tank in its place. I need to have it ready to go for Hurricane season.

reset2

I plan to rent it out.
Good idea on renting it out. Then I noticed you're in Florida and the auction was in Barstow CA. How did you transport it? Road trip or shipping company. Comments on how it went or cost to move it. Just curious.

jmenende

Good idea on renting it out. Then I noticed you're in Florida and the auction was in Barstow CA. How did you transport it? Road trip or shipping company. Comments on how it went or cost to move it. Just curious.

It was not easy. I managed to get a guy with a lowboy to deliver it for 1500$. I had to pay the broker another 350$ So they moved it for 1850$ Quotes online were 3k plus. The problem with these units its that they are usually not roadworthy cause the tires are rotten. It would be cheap if they could be towed but you really dont want to risk it. When buying equipment like this its really a toss of a coin because even if it runs it might not produce power. These units have been sitting in the sand lot for years. Between the elements, corrosion and soldiers parting them out its a gamble.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks