• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

So I cleaned the IP valve on the fuel return line...

Buckmaw

Can you tell us how you did it?
Sure...

Remove your air cleaner.

The top of the IP pump has a hose coming out almost straight up. That is your fuel return line. It is attached to a check valve that is screwed into the top of the IP pump.

Remove fuel line.

Get a wrench and remove the valve.

Take spray cleaner of your choice and blast it a few times. When you hit the threaded side, it should go all the way through the valve.

Now, hold the valve up to a light source and look in it. You should see a clean glass ball, if not, repeat cleaning.

Attach valve, return line and your done.

Some people have busted the glass ball out.

kenny

I think I will try that before bumping up the fuel rail pressure.

I was told a quarter turn on the injecter fuel rail pressure also makes a big difference but make more black smoke when you floor it

Somemedic

Busting the ball makes the truck harder to start if theres an air leak (IIRC) between the IP and the fuel filter.

If youre cleaning it out every few weeks start looking for a reputable rebuild shop. Do a search on the topic, its covered extensively.

Buckmaw

Busting the ball makes the truck harder to start if theres an air leak (IIRC) between the IP and the fuel filter.

If youre cleaning it out every few weeks start looking for a reputable rebuild shop. Do a search on the topic, its covered extensively.
It is the first time I have cleaned it since winning the truck. I do think that some new fuel hoses are due on the truck.

I will check it again on the next oil change.

lavarok

I will say deteriorating fuel lines... when I changed my fuel filter and drained it, there were black specks that were from the fuel line...
More than likely, deteriorating seals inside the injection pump. You'll probably need to replace your pump soon. Keep an eye out for fuel leaks in the valley under the pump.

beanman1

welli think i found it but i dont know any one got a pic i didnt clean it and i also looked through i did not see a ball i dont know if i am looking at the right part

acmunro

check valve

welli think i found it but i dont know any one got a pic i didnt clean it and i also looked through i did not see a ball i dont know if i am looking at the right part

If the check valve is intact and clean it is hard to see because it is clear. Maybe the ball was knocked out. I usually use the plastic straw from a carb cleaner can. The ball is spring loaded. If you push against it it should push back. Good Luck

MuleMac01

Military vehicle collector
Steel Soldiers Supporter
can't you run some diesel fuel system cleaner to fix this problem? i would love to do it but i will prob mess it up?

Last edited:

beanman1

i dont know what the valve looks like does anyone have a pic of it i am just trying to make sure i am on the same page as everyone if it the part i took off to look through there was no ball and spring in it i am just trying to see if i am looking at the right piece

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
From the TM 9-2320-289-34

Remove the "nipple" and the glass ball should be inside the nipple. Someone may have broken it out along the way.

Attachments

Last edited:

gwag

I got around to doing this today, may have made a small difference but not much. It took a couple blasts of carb cleaner to get it to pass through and I could barely see light through it before.
Next time I feel ambitious I will probably turn up the pump & see what that does for it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks