• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

so I saw an F-16 driving down I-66 a couple weeks back....

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Saw this on I-66, just west of The Plains, VA, going eastbound toward Washington, D.C. F-16 Falcon riding the back of a semi trailer, wings and tail were taken off and riding underneath it. I don't think there was an engine in there, just the hull. Was about December 21st. or so. Sorry for the crappy pics, best I could do with a cellphone while I was the only one in the truck. Why would an F-16 be taking a ride on a flatbed? Good planes fly. Junk planes are demilled onsite. Perhaps headed for the Smithsonian museum at Dulles? F-16s are still pretty new to be put on display....

Attachments

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Depending on the model it might not have been that new.

Or a hard landing might have broken something that isn't economical to repair so display it or scrap.

I bought it, just had it delivered, truck driver forgot where he was taking it which is why you saw him up there. It is safely in my front yard now, gonna take it out for a spin later.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Aircraft going down the highway always attracts the rubber neckers. You should have heard some of the things on the CB when I moved this one. Too bad I couldn't record it.

C45f.jpg

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lots of aircraft get transported on trucks to rebuild facilities when they can't fly them there for whatever reason (moderate damage, etc). I see F-18s going down I-10 all the time when I drive out toward AZ/CA. Cheers

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Saw this on I-66, just west of The Plains, VA, going eastbound toward Washington, D.C. F-16 Falcon riding the back of a semi trailer, wings and tail were taken off and riding underneath it. I don't think there was an engine in there, just the hull. Was about December 21st. or so. Sorry for the crappy pics, best I could do with a cellphone while I was the only one in the truck. Why would an F-16 be taking a ride on a flatbed? Good planes fly. Junk planes are demilled onsite. Perhaps headed for the Smithsonian museum at Dulles? F-16s are still pretty new to be put on display....

Some help with the pics.

download2.jpgdownload.jpg

cajunrebel

First post on this forum, but hi, I am actually an active duty F-16 mechanic. Looking at that planes landing gear it is an old A model. We only have a couple of them left flying and those are modified testbed aircraft. These planes were built in the late 70's and early 80's and were used hard. Technology also advanced greatly through the years when the Air Force (and Navy) was still buying them. That aircraft is likely going on a stick somewhere.
Any questions, feel free to ask.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
First post on this forum, but hi, I am actually an active duty F-16 mechanic. Looking at that planes landing gear it is an old A model. We only have a couple of them left flying and those are modified testbed aircraft. These planes were built in the late 70's and early 80's and were used hard. Technology also advanced greatly through the years when the Air Force (and Navy) was still buying them. That aircraft is likely going on a stick somewhere.
Any questions, feel free to ask.
Being a testbed aircraft she could have a very unique and storied history. I hope she will be properly displayed and recognized for her contributions to the F-16 family of fighters.

Thanks for contributing and WELCOME to the SS Forums, cajunrebel! Thank you also for your service to our nation.

Now.... Find a bunk, stow your gear, and prepare to get underway :tank:

cajunrebel

This was likely not a testbed. I simply mean that the only ones that still fly are test beds. The canopy on the aircraft shows significant sun damage that only comes from years of neglect. It has not flown in some time.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks