....So I spoke the the Indiana BMV Yesterday and Today....

Steel Soldiers is supported by:

Status
Not open for further replies.

brasco

I don't have a CDL yet and I am looking to buy a M923A2. I don't think any of these trucks are 25 years old yet so I don't think I can get Historic plates on the truck. I spoke to a lady yesterday at the BMV and she told me that I had to either get historic plates or regular truck plates. She also said that I did not need a CDL if registered as a historic vehicle but I would need a CDL if registered as a truck.

I spoke to another lady today and inquired about the need for a medical if I wanted a CDL....I was told that I needed a CDL medical even if I did not plan on commercial operation of the vehicle. Does this make sense? I have read on SS that I don't need a medical. I also asked her if I could get truck plates for 23K pounds but she could not answer that for me.... does anyone have experience with this?

I guess I'll just get a CDL and pay truck registration but I would rather not spend the money if I don't need to. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks,

Don

You dont need a CDl and you can register as historic I have done it with three trucks now in Indiana.Cost about $50.00 for plates.

gungearz

Don, I am a CDL holder in our state. Although, as long as it's a personal vehicle and you are not using it in any commercial manner... you do not need a CDL. if the truck you decide to get is younger than 25 years... you can get the truck plate for the weight class. as most states, our green iron don't have a classification in their system and the arguments will go on forever. It is rumored that we can get a lifetime registration on our trucks by using the original military markings on the truck as a registration I.D.... the dumbest thing happened to me when I registered my truck... I bought mine out of state, so I had to bring it to the DMV to show them and since the vin was inside the truck, they had to call a state sheriff out to confirm the vin on the title to the vin on the truck... I waited for them to do their thing and when she asked the officer for the type and plate I needed, he said "well, it's a two and a half ton truck. do the math"... she was like... that's 5000 pounds and he said "he's not using it for commercial use, is he", she replied "no, it's a personal vehicle... at the end, the officer told her to give me 7,000lb pickup truck plates.... I told them it was a 14,000 truck and a 10,000lb on road weight rating... they said since I'm using it for play and camping that I'll never exceed the plates.... I'm not going to fight with the cop, so I kept my mouth shut and accepted... I've never had any issues with the decision they made on my plates, so I guess they were right and I was wrong...

DJones

I was not able to register my 1984 5 ton as historic because they told me that it was to heavy. The heaviest historic plate in Indiana is 11,000#. When I had my Deuce they allowed that truck, they said it was close enough to 11,000#'s. I personally have a CDL but plated my truck at 26,000# so that other people could drive the truck legally. I was able to insure it as an antique.

brasco

Dave,

Thanks for the feedback. It sounds like even the BMV doesn't even have a consistent response to these questoins. I need stop by my local BMV and see if I can find a knowlegable person to talk too. I looked up the price for 26,000 # plates... ouch... Apparently a CDL is required for anything 26,001 and up?

Don

zout

You should go to the Indiana BMV web site and check.
You should go to the Indiana web site for Code of Regulations as well.

Just a quick look showed a vehicle 25 yrs and older ONLY.
The separate page for weight was under commercial.

Not stating anything here - but what some folks are doing and what is legal are two different entities by themself. I only know this from a Georgia perspective. We have a thread going on getting BMY HARSCO units titled happening down here.

RodUSMC1962

My buddie registered his 5 ton as historic in Indiana, it depends what dmv you go to, these people are inept at best.

zout

Still does not make it legally right if its not right - those govt web sites will be your answer to find what you need.

It is ultimately up to the private individual to know the exact law - did not know is not an excuse in front of a judge.

talskinyguy

Can you legally drive an airbrakes truck without a CDL with airbrakes endorsement? I thought the answer was always no.

swbradley1

Modertator
Yeah, and good luck with your insurance company when they find out it is registered incorrectly. I just had it happen earlier this week. No insurance now on the Deuce because it was registered as a Jeep and too light.

Status
Not open for further replies.