• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

So my battery EXPLODED today

Artisan

Все автомобили M939 имеют inheritant недостаток , который батарейные кабели могут тереться о драйверы боковой задней части блока двигателя и износ отверстия в изоляции кабелей . Вы не можете увидеть ущерб, если вы не отключите аккумулятор кабели с обоих концов и потяните на них и смотреть. Быстрый исправление скольжения посудомоечная машина сливной шланг над кабелями.

Vse avtomobili M939 imeyut inheritant nedostatok , kotoryy batareynyye kabeli mogut teret'sya o drayvery bokovoy zadney chasti bloka dvigatelya i iznos otverstiya v izolyatsii kabeley . Vy ne mozhete uvidet' ushcherb, yesli vy ne otklyuchite akkumulyator kabeli s oboikh kontsov i potyanite na nikh i smotret'. Bystryy ispravleniye skol'zheniya posudomoyechnaya mashina

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Artisan, I have no idea what you posted. :?
he suggests that it's worth a look to make sure the cable hasn't abraded itself against the block on the driver's side, and that this is a well known design flaw on the m939 series trucks... and fix/prevent it by enclosing the cable in a hose.

his translation device picked a different word than the one I'd have used for "truck".

steelandcanvas

98G - If I understand your post correctly, you first took the batteries out to exchange them and next you will clean the compartment out.

How did you safely get the batteries out of the compartment before cleaning out the acid? Did you wear gloves (what kind)? Were there any breathing concerns? Were safety goggles used?

(P.S. Maybe I shouldn't have slept through Chemistry in high school.)
Rubber gloves would be a good idea, breathing concerns? I'm sure most of the hydrogen was consumed during the explosion. Proper OSHA required gear would be rubber gloves, rubber apron, full face shield and work boots. Things like this scare the begeebers out of me, one day you're sighted, the next day you're blind.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Artisan, I have no idea what you posted. :?

Wow tricky first was Russian and the second was in ?????
All vehicles are M939 inheritant drawback that the battery cables may rub against the driver side rear of the engine block and wear holes in the insulation of cables.
You can not see the damage if you do not disconnect the battery cables on both ends and pull on them and look. Quick fix slide dishwasher drain hose over the cable.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Все автомобили M939 имеют inheritant недостаток , который батарейные кабели могут тереться о драйверы боковой задней части блока двигателя и износ отверстия в изоляции кабелей . Вы не можете увидеть ущерб, если вы не отключите аккумулятор кабели с обоих концов и потяните на них и смотреть. Быстрый исправление скольжения посудомоечная машина сливной шланг над кабелями.

Vse avtomobili M939 imeyut inheritant nedostatok , kotoryy batareynyye kabeli mogut teret'sya o drayvery bokovoy zadney chasti bloka dvigatelya i iznos otverstiya v izolyatsii kabeley . Vy ne mozhete uvidet' ushcherb, yesli vy ne otklyuchite akkumulyator kabeli s oboikh kontsov i potyanite na nikh i smotret'. Bystryy ispravleniye skol'zheniya posudomoyechnaya mashina
All vehicles are M939 inheritant drawback that the battery cables may rub against the driver side rear of the engine block and wear holes in the insulation of cables. You can not see the damage if you do not disconnect the battery cables on both ends and pull on them and look. Quick fix slide dishwasher drain hose over the cable.

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
he suggests that it's worth a look to make sure the cable hasn't abraded itself against the block on the driver's side, and that this is a well known design flaw on the m939 series trucks... and fix/prevent it by enclosing the cable in a hose.

his translation device picked a different word than the one I'd have used for "truck".
Ohhhhh... I get it, 98 Golf... Thats cool, some secret squirrel stuff.

Artisan

All M939 trucks have an inheritant flaw which is the battery cables can rub on the drivers side rear of the engine block and wear holes in the cables insulation. you can NOT see the damage unless you disconnect the battery cables from both ends and pull on them and look. A quick fix is to slip dishwasher drain hose over the cables.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
All M939 trucks have an inheritant flaw which is the battery cables can rub on the drivers side rear of the engine block and wear holes in the cables insulation. you can NOT see the damage unless you disconnect the battery cables from both ends and pull on them and look. A quick fix is to slip dishwasher drain hose over the cables.
Thats what I said!

tobyS

I saw evidence on one of my trucks that the metal bottom of the seat had come down on top of the battery lugs. Imagine welding with about 500 amps.

Then I realized how close they were and started insulating better, dropping the batteries down by removing blocks and also insulating the connectors. I put two, 1400 cca bus batteries in, on my trucks, and they need all of the height plus insulation.

DrillerSurplus

One of the main reasons battery's explode is they get low on water due to over charging or just normal evaporation and that creates a compartment for hydrogen gas to collect in . Then during a starting cycle the plates inside the battery flex with the large draw and make contact with each other creating a spark and ignite the gas and boom. I would check to make shure your alternator is charging corectly as a precaution. Or you will end up doing it again.
I think this post is one to pay attention to. Hydrogen is much lighter than air (think dirigibles like the Hindenburg before helium was used). It won't form an explosive mix with air unless there is some sort of confinement that stops it from dispersing like the enclosed cells of a battery. It's easy to get cavalier about taking the caps off when charging.

Another frequent potentially dangerous situation occurs when jumping another vehicle. The fast charging of the dead battery (or batteries) creates hydrogen faster than usual-maybe faster than the cells can disperse. After getting the jumped vehicle started, if the first cable taken off is from the battery in the jumped vehicle, it could spark & trigger the hydrogen explosion. That's why most SOP for jumping a car say the last cable connected & first off should be the negative which is attached NOT to the battery post, but to some bare metal on the frame. Since that is often hard to find, I've taught my kids to disconnect the first cable from the vehicle that provides the jump since its battery is probably near full charge & wouldn't have created much, if any, hydrogen.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks