• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

So.. Right after the 4th of July parade my truck...

NRG

My deuce was in the 4th of July parade and ran fine with no over heating issues or nothing like that. Right after the parade I get some loss of power and a loud thumping noise coming from the passenger side of the motor. It sounds like a huge exhaust leak but only when one of the cylinders are hitting. So I'm pulling an empty M109 trailer when this all happens and panic and get off the main road and shut it off really quick. I don't need my giant truck and a trailer sitting in the middle of the road, you know.

My father meets up with me on the side of the road and we try to diagnose it. I pop the hood and pull the mushroom cap off the side. Engine looks fine, no leaks and there is plenty of oil in the valve cover and in the motor. Turn the motor over for a second and notice that it really really sounds like exhaust coming back through the intake. Start the truck again and verify that indeed exhaust is coming back through into the air cleaner canister. Shut off the engine. Unscrewed the oil dip stick and turn the motor again, no blow by coming from the crank case. I believe this tells me that a valve is stuck/broken on 1 cylinder or maybe if I get lucky a valve spring just crapped out on me? There is no clicking or banging like the valve is hitting the piston.

I just want to get your thoughts on it. I don't know anything about diesel motors and your knowledge and guidance is always greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You should be able to pull the valve cover and see the position of the valves. If your lucky maybe one of the valve spring retainers popped out, but I've only seen that on the gas motor. Hopefully you caught it before any serious damage was done.

NRG

Update:

I had some spare time and decided to pop the valve cover off the engine. I found a snapped rocker arm. It appears the spring that keeps the rocker arm in position horizontally was weak and didn't do its job. The valve pushed back up while the rocker arm was tweaked and twisted and broke the end of the rocker arm. I guess I need a new rocker arm, a new set of springs and a rod.

NRG

Ok I need help. After searching for 2 hours, and pulling my hair out in frustration, I believe I managed to find the stupid part numbers for the rocker arm, spring, and push rod. My problem now is, I can't find anyone that has these parts for sale. Does anyone know of a engine parts website that has these parts?

NRG

UPDATE!

After receiving parts from an awesome fellow forum member ( gimpyrob ), I got to work on the motor. It ended up being only a bad rocker. From the looks of it, the metal itself looked like it wasn't made well and cracked and broke. I didn't have any bent pushrods ( which I figured I would ). After the installation of different springs and rockers, the truck fires up and drives great with no issues. I dodged a bullet on this one. Thanks for all of your help!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks