• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

So should i get a Deuce?

LAYDOUT777

Ok so first off im only 17 years old, and lookin for a new car. I proffesionaly race jet skis, and also work at a jet ski rental/repair shop. So i need a vehicle that can travel up to 500 miles on trips to races, that can carry a couple jet skis, and i can set up some sleeping arangments in, and well something that is just plain cool.

My boss's friend came across a 1967 M35 thats in mint condition, that i fell in love with. It has i think about 15,000 original miles and was also rebuilt by the military before being sold to civilian. I dont know anything about them except what iv read on this forum. I know the truck is huge, has a winch, and will definatly do all the carrying i could possibly ever need, and go pretty much anywhere ill ever need it to go.

So my question is, am i just stupid for wanting a big old M35 to drive around town, to work, to parties, school, and to the races with?

Thanks!!

mangus580

From the sounds of it a Deuce might be a little overkill for you. Especially if it will be your only vehicle. Plus in the Repulik of Kalifornia, you need a CDL of some sort because of its weight and number of axles.

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
The turcks are definately fun to drive but for a daily driver I would look for a pickup truck. A 500 mile trip in these trucks is exhausting not to mention deafening. They top out at 60 mph max and going up a small hill without a load drops the speed to about 40 mph. Not to mention each wheel weighs about 225 lbs. Theres no power steering and after doing a 3 point turn you'll have arm pump! There are lots of modifications that can be done to get more power but no more top speed. Theres no A/C for those long hot drives to Lake Havasue. If you dont mind the above then go for it, its an adventure. Good luck.

rdixiemiller

You should get a deuce if you are willing to accept the challenges.
You don't drop the hammer and get there in a hurry.
You don't have all the creature comforts of a pickup.
They can be hot, although opening the windshields out is better than a convertible with the top down, and you can do that too!
They are LOUD! Look into a muffler.
They get 10-12mpg (average)
They can be a little difficult to maneuver in a tight spot, even with practice.
You get a lot of friendly waves!
You can shift into 6X6 low and drag the world behind you.
Kids love them!
Vets love them!
Many women will assume you have lost your mind, at least my wife does.
They are a real blast to drive. I go back and forth to work at least 2 days a week in mine.
In Ga., my tag is $20, insurance through Allstate is $200 per year, no special license needed.

Squirtgunner

Nathan,
A Duece?!? It would take you a month to get across the desert to LHC. Not even the US Military would attempt such a feat. They load 'em up on tractor/trailer rigs or trains to make a trek like that.

But don't get me wrong... buy the duece anyway. You don't need a reason when you're 17 and not married.

painkiller

Yeah man, i am kinda thinking its not the best choice for your only car, but yeah get it anyway then just look for some 900$ clunker on the side of the road i am also 17 and i love my deuce but for someone who has not driven one they can be pretty hard the first couple of times but after a while you get used to them, the no power steering is challenging just the other day i was backing out of my friends drive way and had to do about a million K turns in the middle of the road holding up cars and whatnot and my insurance is not bad either i live in CT but i dont know what is will be for you the main factors the played into getting one was so i could have just about the biggest truck in town the off roading capabilities and because they are just plan fun to drive... challenging but fun, so buy it reguardless and have fun!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks