• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

So what did I win ??? CUCV II, III ????

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
I've never heard of a 4 Door CUCV II Tahoe. It has a gas engine but a diesel bumper. The interior is certainly higher class than it should be. There should be a data tag on the inside of the drivers door that should tell the story.

amgeneral72

Wikipedia
CUCV II
Overview
ManufacturerGeneral Motors
Model years1996–2000
Body and chassis
Body style4-door SUV
2-door pickup
4-door pickup
PlatformGM GMT400 platform
Powertrain
Engine350 in³ (5.7 L) L05 V8
454 in³ (7.4 L) L29/L21 V8
6.5 L Detroit Diesel V8
Transmission4-speed 700-R4 (4L60)automatic
5-speed manual
Dimensions
Wheelbasevaries by model
Lengthvaries by model
Width81.2 in (2.06 m)
Height75.4 in (1.92 m)
Curb weightvaries by model

In 1996, Chevrolet started building a new generation of CUCV. The US Air Force initially bought small batches of these units, dubbed the CUCV II.[SUP][11][/SUP] Produced through 2001, CUCV IIs were basic civilian Chevrolet C/K, Tahoe, and Suburbanunits sent to another plant for "militarization" on special order. The trucks were originally white in color with gray vinyl interiors.[SUP][11][/SUP] They received CARC exterior paint (Forest Green, Desert Sand, or 3-color camouflage), a brush bar, a pintle hitch, towing/loading shackles, extra leaf springs to give them a 5/4 ton rating and a host of other small changes. All CUCV IIs have a 24 volt dual-battery starting system, the rest of the truck is 12 volt.[SUP][11][/SUP]
These light utility vehicles were available with three engines: a Vortec 7.4-liter V8, a 5.7-liter V8, or Detroit Diesel 6.5 L V8. Each engine was coupled with a 4-speed automatic or 5-speed manual transmission. All CUCV IIs have full-time all-wheel drive; a front-mounted winch was available as an option.[SUP][11][/SUP]

Looks like a 2000 model CUCVII 4 door SUV variant with a 5.7L gas engine

Last edited:

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
That article has some incorrect info. All CUCV IIs were not originally white. They do not have full time all wheel drive. The only CUCV II Tahoes I've seen were the 2 door version (like the one I had). The only 4 door version I've seen was a single Suburban that sold quite a few years ago.
My guess (and it's just a guess) is that someone did a good job moving parts from either a diesel 2 door CUCV II Tahoe or a diesel crew cab pickup to a 4 door Tahoe.
Or maybe it's the real deal, with a sweet high class interior and it just has the wrong style bumper. Also electronic transfer case shifting. Stranger things have happened. I'll guess you'll find out when you see it in person if there is a data tag. If it's a clone there are still a bunch of good parts for the price.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I HATE YOU! I got caught up with a presentation at work and couldn't fight you for it. (LOL) It's the real deal, CUCVII, a highly unusual GMT400 body style Tahoe made in 2000 in Arlington when all production had already switched to the new body style. It is a militarized Z71 package which is why it has the leather seats.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
If it's a clone it would be very well done. The only things that are surprising that I've noticed is it's not a base model and the bumper is for a diesel instead of a gasser. I see a rifle mount behind the passenger seat. Everything else that I can see that's supposed to be CUCV II stuff is (light switches, rear bumper, brush guard, wheels, grille, shackle mounts, blackout lights, rubber floor mat, etc.). I can't see if there is a voltmeter under the radio, and there should be a duvac setup somewhere in there (probably the back right corner, which is not pictured).
Either way it's certainly a cool vehicle.

Stonepicker1

How did Stonepicker1, let that get by?

Nice score, please let us know if it were former USAF or USN (just curious to know)?

rofl...I had a bid on it when it first showed up. It looks to be a "real" CUCV-II. First I've seen with this interior. I hope the data plate is on the door.

With the transfer in the back seat and it being a GAS job. I decided to pass on this one. If it was a Diesel :drool:....it would of been a different story.

But, it is a cool truck and $1,550 is a steal if all it needs is a transfer case and a little work. I hope the inverter is there, if not that will cost you a few bills(or change it to 12 volt)

Wish you all the luck.

Fyi....saving $$$ for another LSSV / Forklift / Box truck :shrugs:

86m1028

That is weird that it has the 2 tone seats & the z71 taillight covers on it :)
Let us know when you start a fix/rebuild thread on it.

amgeneral72

Posted by stonepicker

rofl...I had a bid on it when it first showed up. It looks to be a "real" CUCV-II. First I've seen with this interior. I hope the data plate is on the door.

With the transfer in the back seat and it being a GAS job. I decided to pass on this one. If it was a Diesel :drool:....it would of been a different story.

But, it is a cool truck and $1,550 is a steal if all it needs is a transfer case and a little work. I hope the inverter is there, if not that will cost you a few bills(or change it to 12 volt)

Wish you all the luck.

Fyi....saving $$$ for another LSSV / Forklift / Box truck :shrugs:[/QUOTE]

IMG_0260.jpgIMG_0288.jpg

More pics to come

amgeneral72

So a little update.

After getting the truck home and looking it over its not to bad but hey definitely drove the s**# out of it.

I was told it came from Eglin AFB
IMG_0450.JPG So I guess this makes sense.

I went through it and found a few interesting things. The coolest was the original Tahoe Z71 and the CUCVII manuals were still in the glovebox. It must have been a training vehicle because I found a few blank rounds here and there. All the lights inside the vehicle were covered with OD tape. Everything, door lights, dash lights, every bit of light was covered. And wants up with the little tactical rail on the top? How cute.

IMG_0255.jpgIMG_0420.jpgIMG_0286.jpgIMG_0301.jpgIMG_0446.JPGIMG_0448.JPGIMG_0449.JPGIMG_0447.JPG

I washed all the mud out from underneath it and started the mechanical inspection. The transfer case was in the rear seat (great for the leather) so I figured it was trashed. It had already been split so I had it rebuilt. I also pulled the tranny and sent it out to get rebuilt. Its getting a stage 2 upgrade " whatever that is " all I care is that it will all be new. Now the engine. All the fluids were drained so that was the first place to start. After replacing all the hoses that were cut (power steering, radiator ) and replacing the oil drain plug that was MIA I changed at the filters and added new fluid as well as 2 new batteries and she sprang to life again. It runs well. I figured it should with only 50,000 showing

IMG_0426.jpg739604_6062_0_0001.jpgIMG_0453.JPGIMG_0452.JPGIMG_0455.JPG

I think I'm going to add a 2" lift with 285/75 tires

Not sure what color to paint it 3 color NATO 383 green or 686 sand

Last edited:

amgeneral72

I believe it was used for training

I found some paperwork in the console that had something to do with training. It referenced unit 76 (which is the trucks #) as a hunter.

And it was full of loose blanks.

amgeneral72

I was playing around earlier with some antenna mounts.

I do have the correct mounts for a CUCV but I like the way these look. It also lowers them just a bit.

IMG_0465.JPGIMG_0467.JPGIMG_0468.JPGIMG_0463.JPG

I will admit I stole the idea from these pictures.

CUCVII 2 dr tahoe.jpgcuvc.jpg

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks