• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

So what do you think

auron

I've had a 23,000 lbs rated braden winch that has been in the tool box of my truck for about 8 months now and was wondering the best way to mount it as a drag winch in a 96 f350 dually.

ps I haven't forgotten about y'all I've just been busy.

ETN550

I've had a 23,000 lbs rated braden winch that has been in the tool box of my truck for about 8 months now and was wondering the best way to mount it as a drag winch in a 96 f350 dually.

ps I haven't forgotten about y'all I've just been busy.
I would recommend a 4 point mounting through the body to the frame. Two box tube cross members across the frame separated by 4 feet. Then run 2 more box tubes longitudinal, front to back on top of the new cross members and spread at a distance appropriate to pickup the winch mounts. Due to the capacity of the winch and its ability to lift the truck or pick up the front end when winching it would be important to spread out the anchor system over a larger area, thus a 4 point mounting with good space between the mount points. Either professionally weld the box tube cross members to the top of the frame rails or study how gooseneck and 5th wheel hitch frames bolt to the vehicle frame and copy one of the better designs. The box tube should be at least 1/4 wall and 4x4, 5x2, 5x3 would probably be okay. The longitudinal members should be heavier 3/8 wall. A 1/2 inch plate under the winch would be good for mounting and load distribution. If weight is an issue then step up to larger materials near and under the winch and thinner materials where attachments to the vehicle frame are located. A winch of that size will put a lot of load on the winch frame at the location where it is bolted up.

A good winch frame will actually help make the vehicle frame stronger and prevent vehicle frame damage in extreme situations.

Just some thoughts, others may have more ideas.:driver:

johnray13

I would recommend using a 5th wheel rail set to accommodate the winch. You would have to fab the winch to make a base that would have tabs to drop into the rail slots. It seems to me to be the easiest, cheapest and strongest. And you could remove it. Also, all your welding could be done in the shop, which makes it a lot easier. The winch could just drop into the rail slots with hitch pins just like a 5th wheel hitch.

You may have to fabricate a cable guide to prevent cable from damaging the back and sides or the bed though.

Good luck,
John