• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

So what is in your....... Engine? (how to search parts break down for your engine)

coachgeo

ok.... so here is how you look up your engine online.

Armed with your engine serial number in hand
. go to website https://parts.cat.com/en/catcorp/Pa...ivtLAwA0v4RWqsaQejwjFqnkMvjmGkzY37kBfOWkEjx7M

. input serial number of your engine in the [equipment] box

. hit [search]

. view results. LOOK for" part number" it provides as a result

. input that number into the top left "Part Type" box that sits beside the box where you inputted the serial number

. hit [search]

. view results under "ENGINE ARRANGEMENT" .... hit highlighted link(s) to view your engines parts.

. Print (either to PDF file or to paper*) each page. Give yourself an hour or more to print each page to file or paper. There is NOT a Print All option :roll:

*I suggest pdf. just search thru the printer options in the print dialog box and select.... "Print to PDF". Give yourself an hour or more to print each page to file or paper

NOTE: found pages about one part number with more links inside the page to internal parts for that item (Governor, Head, Block etc. )..... so look out for that so you get all those printed too. Organize as you desire. Example: create a folder just for Block and put all the Block ones in that folder

NOTE 2: RonMar has noted that if you have on your vehicle data plate, after the delivery date if it has a ”D” stamped in the plate; that means it went thru depot overhaul and maybe it got a reman engine installed at that time? Or it had an engine failure and the engine was replaced...

Ron's engine serial came back with a production date of 02/12/98. His A0 was produced on 06/98. He says that the only fly in the ointment is right above the engine data sticker(under the air pipes) the CAT emissions sticker clearly says it is a 1993 engine produced in month 02 and in compliance with EPA regulations as of that 93 production date:).

Thus CAT's contract probably allowed them to provide engines certified to a standard whether new or reman, at their discretion. So Ron suspects his truck probably started out with a factory reman engine:) ???

PS: Have done full comparison now for a 225hp and a 290hp. Just Turbo and Governor different... valve spring, injectors, pistons etc. no difference. Oh..... but surprising there was a difference in exhaust manifold gasket...... but that may have been due to the two engines being one manufactured 6yrs newer than the other (225hp was newer).

Last edited:

Plasa

Thanks! But how to know what part is what? There is no description, just a s.n.... :)

wandering neurons

OK, favor to ask: I only have a 225 hp 3116 in my 1998 M1081. I'd love to know what the Cat part is for the 290 hp turbo and governor but don't have a serial number to reference. Can you provide those two part numbers, the turbo and the governor for a 290 hp 3116? Thanks much!

coachgeo

OK, favor to ask: I only have a 225 hp 3116 in my 1998 M1081. I'd love to know what the Cat part is for the 290 hp turbo and governor but don't have a serial number to reference. Can you provide those two part numbers, the turbo and the governor for a 290 hp 3116? Thanks much!
Turbo differences I've not broken down to individual parts yet...... the:

225hp is 4R9147
290hp is 4R8915 (Borg Warner equivalent Turbo is the S2EG-080 )

Last edited:

coachgeo

BELOW IS THE GOVERNOR DIFFERENCES BROKEN DOWN. Differences are in yellow

290hp Part
4R-9040
225hp Part
4R-9036
NotePart No.Part NameNotePart No.Part NamePriceReq. Qty.
Y7W4812Y7W48121
RY4R-9040View DetailsRY4R-9036View DetailsCHECK PRICE1
Ref.NotePart No.Part NameRef.NotePart No.Part Name
1Y6I4267GOVERNOR GP-UNIT INJECTOR1Y6I4267GOVERNOR GP-UNIT INJECTOR
4P-9085CAM-TORQUE24P-1441CAM-TORQUE
37E-3829SPRING GP37E-3829SPRING GP
47C-0989PLUG-ORIFICE47C-0989PLUG-ORIFICE
54P-5695CONTROL AS-RATIO54P-5745CONTROL AS-RATIO
67C-4466SPRING-DASHPOT67C-4466SPRING-DASHPOT
74P-5605SHIM-IDLE SPRING74P-5605SHIM-IDLE SPRING

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks