• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

So, what's the deal with trailer prices? My weekend rant.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I buy a sell a few items from time to time. I've had several people wanting to buy M105s from me. I tell them I don't deal in trailers. Even if I pick up a M105 for the minimum bid, by the time I pay the fees (premium, taxes, sf97), take my time to go pick it up, and fix what's broke, I can't make much money at $500.

I did break my "no trailer" rule awhile back because they were selling M105s two at a time and thought I'd buy a couple. Turns out that they weren't nearly as good as they looked in the pics so I lost my butt on them. So, back to my "no trailer" rule.

Barrman

Here is something to consider. The military trailer smaller than the M101 is the M416. They make 101's look cheap. However, they can be pulled by Jeeps and such. That means more demand than the 101 series even. People got around it by buying the Canadian version of the 416 which is a Canadian 101. Now, they are sky high priced as well.

So, if the US M101 prices have you bumed out, look for Canadian 101's and you will feel better.

Barrman

The Canadian 101 is the same as the US M416. Except, it has more handles and tie down points. Basically, if it is hooked to a vehicle. Two people can grab the handles and move it with ease. Makes backing into tight places nice.

derf

I read somewhere that only 2000 Canadian 101s were made, and the US version hasn't been made since the 60s. I assume this means supply/demand will make them more expensive than the US M101s.
BTW, 101s are coming up soon in Alabama.

Chief_919

I buy a sell a few items from time to time. I've had several people wanting to buy M105s from me. I tell them I don't deal in trailers. Even if I pick up a M105 for the minimum bid, by the time I pay the fees (premium, taxes, sf97), take my time to go pick it up, and fix what's broke, I can't make much money at $500.

I did break my "no trailer" rule awhile back because they were selling M105s two at a time and thought I'd buy a couple. Turns out that they weren't nearly as good as they looked in the pics so I lost my butt on them. So, back to my "no trailer" rule.
Lately I have been selling trailers and giving folks a bill of sale and the info on how to register them in Maine with a bill of sale.

derf

Care to share that info here? I sold one to a guy in MS and he only needed a bill of sale. In LA the DMV are like nazis, they requires stuff that the law doesn't specify.
GL sends you a packet with everything you need to register your trailer when you pay for the SF97. Well, in LA you need more stuff, like a physical inspection by a LEO.

Barrman

If only 2000 of them were made, Brent Mullins must have cornered the market. He had them for sale outside his place for years. He must have moved dozens if not hundreds. Of course, he stopped selling them about the time I wanted to get one.

andrewde

Care to share that info here? I sold one to a guy in MS and he only needed a bill of sale. In LA the DMV are like nazis, they requires stuff that the law doesn't specify.
GL sends you a packet with everything you need to register your trailer when you pay for the SF97. Well, in LA you need more stuff, like a physical inspection by a LEO.

Registering a trailer in Maine is simple.. I use this company for my M416 and M101 CDN trailers...

Trailer Registrations for Individuals and Fleets Countrywide - MaineTrailerRegistrations.com

I register my trailer in Maine. Saved me from the expense of titling, registering and getting it inspected in MD. I think it was $100 for 5 years. Probability saves a couple hundred bucks.

Emmett

Interesting rant.
I guess you had no idea what a M105A2 was when you bid on it if it was more than you needed or wanted. OK, I understand that. If you made a mistake and bid on something like that, you should consider yourself lucky to get rid of it and a profit albiet small, to boot.

It would also stand to reason that if it is bigger than you need or want, it's probably bigger than most people want or need....hence the low price.

So, I guess you wanted a 101 or a 416. As I'm sure you know by now, those trailers are more expensive due to the above reasons.

If you want to bid on a reasonably sized trailer, I'm sure you will pay quite a bit more and mabye gain a bigger profit provided you want to sell it. Depending, of corse, on what you paid for it.

I'm not sure what your rant was really about. did you want everyone to know that you have legal problems and life is not fair or you bought something you didn't need and sold it for less than you thought it was worth and again life is not fair? How about smaller more desireable trailers are more expensive and that's not fair either?

Not meaning to be rude but I really don't know what your rant is about.....even after reading it two times.....lots of issues here. I know this is an old adage but "it's worth what someone will pay for it" applies here.

Good luck on your legal issues. No one likes those kind of problems.

derf

I know a guy that bought a trailer with a generator on it and gave the generator away because he just wanted the trailer.
I might buy a 416 type trailer if one was cheap enough but for my needs and uses a 101 is better. Jeep nuts like the little 416s, though.
My trailer and mods are in a thread somewhere.
My only rant about the 101 trailer is the fact that it doesn't have 48" between the fenders inside. It seems to me like that would be some kind of standard, having enough room to carry sheets of plywood flat.

jeep-Jeep

I think he is talking about me !
I paid $950 for my 416 and that was a good deal for its restored condition .
My 101 a2 trailors were all around $300 and my 105a2 trailors were around $170 .
:deadhorse:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know a guy that bought a trailer with a generator on it and gave the generator away because he just wanted the trailer.
I might buy a 416 type trailer if one was cheap enough but for my needs and uses a 101 is better. Jeep nuts like the little 416s, though.
My trailer and mods are in a thread somewhere.
My only rant about the 101 trailer is the fact that it doesn't have 48" between the fenders inside. It seems to me like that would be some kind of standard, having enough room to carry sheets of plywood flat.
Shop for an M101A3. If it has the correct box it will have 55" between the inner fenders. They are a wicked awesome trailer.

Last edited:

DesertRunner

Shop for an M101A3. If it has the correct box it will have 55" between the inner fenders. They are a wicked awesome trailer.
But be careful, make sure the pictures show fender extensions, or be sure to preview. I just bought a M101A3 out of Ft McCoy. The box said M101A3. but it was on a M116A2 frame. Distance between wheel wells 46". It is a great trailer. I just wanted the wider trailer and didn't pay close enough attention.

JaY

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks