• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

So what's the heat level, in cab, from your m1009?

Knightmare

The last drive I had with my m1009, was a troubled one, and without going into it too much (I may have solved a different fuel issue), I thought I felt too much heat coming from the transmission housing. It could be my paranoia, but it felt pretty warm after a short limp home. Warm to the touch, through the rubber matting.

For the record, the temp was mid 70s, ~7 minute drive, and my radiator fluid is at the right level, although I do need to change it. It looks good, but I'm not sure when it was last changed. Tranny fluid the same.

Is there some way to make sure the transmission cooler is working?

Should I install gauges??

All thoughts welcome...

cucvcan

There isn't really a trans cooler on a cucv. They just run a couple of lines past the rad. I assume you've got lots of trans fluid? Drop the pan and make sure its clean and not full of crap. THis will also allow you to confirm that you have the proper trans fluid and amount when you refill it.

OL AG '89

Too many variables to get a "quick" diagnosis, but do what CUCVCAN suggests.
If you have not changed the fluid and filter since you bought the truck its always recommended. Unless you have maintenance records showing when it was changed.

The CUCV's trans cooler is adequate for the truck and its rating.... so if the trans is getting hotter than usual you might have a clogged or pinched line. I'm not sure if the cooler sees 100% of the fluid or if it just sees a portion of the fluid. You could find that out by searching for a schematic of the transmission.
Was the truck running hotter than usual? If you have no gauges, then maybe an usual "hot" smell from under the hood?
Was the power of the truck the same or reduced? Again, maybe the radiator was not cooling efficiently so the trans cooler was reduced in its effectiveness.
Maybe change the radiator fluid and check the thermostat to make sure it's functioning correctly for the radiator to do its job.
Hope that helps.

1986Blazerk5

I checked when i was out driving mine gets pretty warm to, i temp outside was 89 so pretty warm, i have a water temp gauge, its not running hot, but mine does the same thing

OL AG '89

I don't have anything but bare metal in mine and I've never noticed excessive heat. It's been 90+ the last week or so and I drive it during the heat of the day on the weekends.
I'm gonna put a temp probe on the sheetmetal next time I drive and see what I get.....

BIG_RED

My floor feels warm in the winter, but it's just because of the exhaust - judging by it being warmer where the exhaust gets closer to the floor. I would go feel my tranny if i thought it was heating up my floor more than it should. (with a finger, it's a bad idea to full palm anything you think might be hot :p done that before).