• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

So what's the next big repair/upgrade on your CUCV?

gasser

Luckily mine is running pretty good at the moment. Drove to and from Atlanta to Aberdeen with no major issues. My hydraboost it leaking p/s fluid on the floor boards. Its on the repair list.

However, I think my next big upgrade I will want to do is put in an overdrive tranny 700R4. Big question though ... do I wait until the TH400 goes out :D

What is your next big upgrade?

-graham
86 M1009
http://m1009.com/

mangus580

New Rear End gears... Gasser, do yourself a favor, and do this BEFORE the 700R4. 3.08's and the 6.2 is the fastest way to trash a perfectly good 700R4.

I am going wiht 3.73's after much discussion on www.dieselplace.com. What happens with 3.08s, is the tranny cant ever decide what gear to be in.

MATT

So what are the pros and cons of the 700R4 switch? What about the PRNDL? There will be a overdrive now!

M35guy

you'll probably have to change out the gear selector thing too. not positive on that though.

my first big upgrade might be to actually buy a CUCV, then turbo the hell out of it.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The gear selector is on a cable. The detents in the linkage are generated by the transmission. Once the linkage is hooked up you can feel your way through the gears or you can pull the dash and replace the plate with one that has the extra position. Probably a $1 part at a U-Pull-It junk yard.

mangus580

Someone once told me that one of the linkage parts was different, but I dont beleive them... the PRNDL plate can probably be had from LMC pretty cheap too. One word of caution on putting a 700R4 in a CUCV, is that you need to find one for a Diesel. It IS different.

Desert Rat

I'm looking to rebuild the injector distributor pump on the top of the engine on DK's 1009. Lack of $$$ is holding it up. Same with the four door. Then it's onto a shake-down and interior work with some A/C for good measure.

gasser

mangus580 said:
New Rear End gears... Gasser, do yourself a favor, and do this BEFORE the 700R4. 3.08's and the 6.2 is the fastest way to trash a perfectly good 700R4.

I am going wiht 3.73's after much discussion on www.dieselplace.com. What happens with 3.08s, is the tranny cant ever decide what gear to be in.
Yeah, I know we talked about this at Aberdeen - so you are going to run with the 3.73's? That is a good point; I should look at doing that before swapping in a 700R4. However, I may start the hunt early for a diesel based 700R4. I am thinking that these maybe hard to find in the junkyards.

mangus580

They might be a little more difficult. A good tranny shop might be able to tell you the actual difference, and/or make a gas one work.

I have mine sitting, just needs a rebuild, hence the wait. They arent cheap to rebuild :-(

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Graham, shopping for a parts truck might be the most economical in the long run considering all the little stuff you needlike TV linkage and the like.

rizzo

I have a friend putting a gass motor in my 1008, when that is done I have to change the doors, add cutout fender flairs and repaint.

I also have some work to do on the wrecker :)

85-m1028

I need to change out the injectors and pump, seal up all the oil leaks and rear main. I put both optimas on the rear batt. tray, but I need a better way to secure them. I started a cold air intake using the hmmwv intake manifold and some 6"-4" abs pipe to a cone air filter " I need to make a box for the filter that will go in the front batt tray!!

gasser

Recovry4x4 said:
Graham, shopping for a parts truck might be the most economical in the long run considering all the little stuff you needlike TV linkage and the like.
That is definitely true, but I am not sure if the 'boss' would allow it. :?
I can get away with individual parts stuffed in places, but a whole truck maybe pushing it. Just wait until she finds out where I stuffed my extra glowplug system parts .... the dryer maynot work :)

IBEZKUM

Just Installed a new chrome ball, pintle combo.
Next Repair, Is new glow plugs and bypass kit.
Just waitin for injector insallation kit.
Anyone try to remove broken glow plugs, by just startin the motor??
Using the compression to blow it out, or am I just crazy.
I'm sure, it would shoot out like a bullet, May need a catchers mit!
Hope to read you later!!

Attachments

Nickathome

Next job....

Install newly acquired canvas top on my M37,
Get all 4 tires balanced,
repair some rot on bed side and window frame attachment points.
Install lockouts.
Etc, etc,etc

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks