• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

So who has bumped the power on a 6CTA cummins

FASTNOVA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd like to see someone come up with a set up for a air to water intercooler. Maybe a certain vendor on here can come up with a kit and some before and after HP numbers. :D

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I dont think you will be able to flow enough air thru the stock airbox/filter setup. Maybe an 800 style airbox on the fender with one on each side coming together

HETvet

I also wonder about filter flow and turbine A/R of the turbos. Getting them to spool would be an issue I see when in use as a traditional compound set up.

Carlo

I did some reading on this non stock double turbo and it seems the EGT goes crazy doing this and I saw photos if melted pistons, bent contecting rods, holes blow out in the side of the block, plus more. Wouldn't a pump modification or injectors be safer?

lakeydna

I dont think you will be able to flow enough air thru the stock airbox/filter setup. Maybe an 800 style airbox on the fender with one on each side coming together
I'm not certain what the CFM rating is on the filter. I haven't heard of or seen any problems when a turbo is installed on the 250 cummins. I'm not trying to make an obscene power house, just lower EGT's, quicker spool, more low end torque and better effiiciency. Running a dual set-up may help, but lots of OTR trucks run single air filters on much larger engines.

lakeydna

I also wonder about filter flow and turbine A/R of the turbos. Getting them to spool would be an issue I see when in use as a traditional compound set up.
HET's use a single air filter and there 500 HP, what does the HET A1 with the C18 cat use single or dual filters? I'm sure they are larger. Spooling a twin compound set-up should be the same or better than the original single. Drive pressures get closer to a 1:1 ratio.

lakeydna

I did some reading on this non stock double turbo and it seems the EGT goes crazy doing this and I saw photos if melted pistons, bent contecting rods, holes blow out in the side of the block, plus more. Wouldn't a pump modification or injectors be safer?
These photos you saw I'm sure were mostly "all out motors" - sled pulling, racing, etc. Just doing injection pump tweaks adds fuel and added fuel raises EGT's unless you have the increased air to match the fuel you've added. You can accomplish the things you've listed just by advancing the timing (raises cylinder pressure) Pump modds just aren't as wow

nevrenufhp

On an otherwise stock setup, the compounds wont gain much power. When paired correctly, the EGT drastically drops at full power. It really wont be of much benefit without more rpm and a bit more fuel. The stock turbo can hold up to the fuel being cranked up. The compounds will be more prone to popping a head gasket than anything. A set of studs will help stop that. The grenading of engine parts is super unlikely with this engine and the rpm, and power it's producing(even with compounds and marine injectors).

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
A smaller turbo will spool faster. You would do better with a pair of small turbos in a twin setup. Larger turbo will make more power but take longer to spool. More compression with a larger turbo should create higher egts. Newer trucks do run single intake systems but they are newer designs intended for the higher airflow. Take off the muffler and put a straight pipe in place you should get faster spooling and more power.

HETvet

The c18 in the a1 het runs the same filter as the original het. Now, if it were me; I would run the larger one over the stock turbo. But the larger one wouldn't be gated at all. I also would do everything I could to retain as much heat and flow to the turbos as possible. I think you could lower spool time and get huge flows mid to high rpm As long as you have the fuel to keep up

lakeydna

The larger the housing on the primary the quicker spool for the secondary, which in turn gets the primary going. I'm going to try and find a smaller exhaust housing for the secondary (HX-40) or replace it with a T4 62/70. The Primary has a 32 cm housing so it's fine.

cumminsbandit

Ok! So I just picked up my m923a2 last Monday and just turned the fuel up today and I can't believe the results!!! I have to tell ya I'm a big 5.9 12 valve cummins guy and this just tops it all! There's no replacement for displacement! Unless you have an 855 cummins, then you just have a boat anchor! The 8.3 has the same potential as the 5.9 you just have to know how to unleash it! I made 2 3/4 turns on the screw and it feels like it went from 237 hp to 350-400 hp ish. I believe you can take the fuel screw out but I have no faith in auto trannies so ill just run this slush box the way it is for a wile!?

dochowz

Tomorrow afternoon I will finish up installing my boost and EGT gauges...with pics of course. THEN I will feel comfortable turning up the power. I'd be thrilled with 75-100HP jump. I don't want to break it, but it sure is a slug off the line fer sher...

jesusgatos

Are you guys really that unhappy with the power or is this a 'more is better' kinda thing? We just flat-towed an M936A2 350 miles with an M923A2 and it was fine? Had to slow down for some of the big hills, but I was honestly pretty impressed.

Motiracer38

I am definitely not happy with the power output of my M932A2. While I'm sure it can tow a house up a muddy slope, I'm struggling to make 35mph up hills around my house that have a 50mph posted speed limit. Of course I'm used to driving a chipped Duramax, but it can do 55mph of the same hills when towing and loaded down for a desert weekend. On the flats it can usually maintain the blinking "at speed" light but I dread the day I'll be towing home from Glamis thru Palm Springs where there's a 10 mile long uphill, let alone hitting the grapevine either way. Regearing would be nice too, but that's a whole nother topic where most people on here think it's the devil's talk doing 70mph. My end goal is to be at the most efficient RPM while hanging with the semi trucks doing 65mph. Southern California freeways are wide open enough going through the desert that safety really isn't an issue.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks