• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

So you think the MEP-803 is underpowered huh? Well looky here...

Glockfan

I couldn't figure out a better way to put it to the test than to put a resistive load bank on it and see what we could get out of it. The test was done running it in three phase because we wanted to equally balance the load. It produced a clean 11,700 watts at 97% load. So we decided to see how long we could run it until the overload switch kicked and we got about 18 minutes of 15,300 watts!

I'm a proud pappy... :smile:

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Glockfan

That's pretty awesome! ! Where did you get that nice load bank tester ??
That was kindly loaned to me from a friend who does generator installs. He was in awe of this little "10k". He was zapping it with occasional 2-second 25k spikes and laughing at the black smoke that it was pouring out. It wouldn't trip the overload circuit, it would just recover and keep on chugging. He then asked me if there was anything we could do to kill it?

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That was kindly loaned to me from a friend who does generator installs. He was in awe of this little "10k". He was zapping it with occasional 2-second 25k spikes and laughing at the black smoke that it was pouring out. It wouldn't trip the overload circuit, it would just recover and keep on chugging. He then asked me if there was anything we could do to kill it?
Run it at about 5% load for a week. That might do it.

Great test, thanks for posting. Finally a test with photo results that tells us how underrated a MEP truly is.

Glockfan

It's funny you mention that... I know folks who worked on these in the military and have heard of people griping about them underperforming and constantly tripping the overload. Soldiers would have a couple of extension cords plugged into the convenance outlet and and be pitching a fit when they would exceed 10A and pop the circuit breaker. It's sad to think that we have numbskulls burning diesel to power one duplex 110v outlet and not having the common sense to properly wire a 10k up to do its job.

csheath

I have loaded mine to 51 amps at 240 with my homemade load bank and it doesn't even emit black smoke at that.

IMG_1421.JPG

Last edited:

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just bought one for the house, what is the best way to wire it up for longterm reliability?
Your wiring should meet your needs. Is your set on a trailer, or is it a power unit only? If power unit only, are you bolting it down to it becomes truly stationary? Are you able to service the machine where it is installed (or will be installed)? The actual WIRE used is irrelevant (its all going to be pretty much the same gauge and jacketing no matter which way you go).

Your basic choice is to either truly hard wire it (so it goes through conduit and back to a panel), or through a temporary disconnect (50A connector is what you want). Where it is, and how you intend to use it and service it should tell you which way to go. About the same money either way.

Last edited:

yeshua1

It’s currently on a trailer, but debating to remove it and put it on a pad, and maybe bolt it down? I’d most likely have it hardwired into its own panel to power the essentials (when we lose power, it’s never a quick restore), and I think it could handle hot water heater too. Unfortunately I can’t do the work myself, I have ALS, so I’m going to have to hire it out. What should I look for when searching out a qualified contractor?

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just find a reputable electrician for the wiring portion (while these are 'fancy' machines, the wiring is as straight forward as you could ever hope for). Are you OK with turning this on manually as needed, or do you need to go the auto start route? There is an aftermarket kit to do this, and should be discussed with the electrician of your choosing.

As for getting the machine off the trailer... I am not sure your best bet. All you need is someone who knows how to run a tractor with forks on it (to take up the weight under the belly of the machine), then unbolt the 4 bolts that go from the set through the trailer, and either pull the trailer out, or back the tractor up with the power unit on it. Got any local farmers you are in good with you can pull a favor with?

yeshua1

Currently I have no problem manually starting it, but I’m still relatively mobile. If/when ALS takes it’s toll, then it’ll be my wife and two boys. Once it’s off the trailer, should I keep or try to sell it off as scrap? I certainly don’t want to store it for n my yard nor pay to store it; however, I can see a benefit of keeping it. What about external fuel tanks, any recommendations?

eatont9999

Currently I have no problem manually starting it, but I’m still relatively mobile. If/when ALS takes it’s toll, then it’ll be my wife and two boys. Once it’s off the trailer, should I keep or try to sell it off as scrap? I certainly don’t want to store it for n my yard nor pay to store it; however, I can see a benefit of keeping it. What about external fuel tanks, any recommendations?
ALS? I thought you meant Automatic Load Shedding. Now it sounds like some kind of medical issue.

You can sell the trailer on craigslist. Lots of people looking for them.

I was thinking about a steel fuel storage tank mounted up on a frame but the logistics of getting one of those transported home got me looking at an IBC tote. I can buy one for $60 and fit it in the back of my truck easily. Not to mention that it is light weight, so I can unload it myself. I will need to get an electric pump and fuel hose so I can fill my other equipment and vehicles. 275 gallons is a fair sized reserve.

Zed254

A Gen trailer in good condition is worth $500 - $750: check recent auctions at GP out of Letterkenny, PA. Your GA location puts you very close to a lot of generators recently sold as skid units: no trailer. I doubt you will have trouble selling the trailer....again, if in good shape.

Also, if you can find an appropriate tank the trailer could be used as a fuel trailer.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Depending on the conditions of the rims and tires... they alone might be worth more than $750 for the pair! You can sell them to the humvee guys all day long.

eatont9999

I couldn't figure out a better way to put it to the test than to put a resistive load bank on it and see what we could get out of it. The test was done running it in three phase because we wanted to equally balance the load. It produced a clean 11,700 watts at 97% load. So we decided to see how long we could run it until the overload switch kicked and we got about 18 minutes of 15,300 watts!

I'm a proud pappy... :smile:
How low did the frequency drop? 15,000 watts is not useful, to me, unless it is real close to 60hz.

yeshua1

Thank you, excellent ideas. It actually just got delivered today and the trailer looks decent. I like the tote idea for a fuel tank. I appreciate all the tips/ideas.

Guyfang

Staff member
It's funny you mention that... I know folks who worked on these in the military and have heard of people griping about them underperforming and constantly tripping the overload. Soldiers would have a couple of extension cords plugged into the convenance outlet and and be pitching a fit when they would exceed 10A and pop the circuit breaker. It's sad to think that we have numbskulls burning diesel to power one duplex 110v outlet and not having the common sense to properly wire a 10k up to do its job.
Glockfan,

After working 20 years in the army, and about 8 years for the army, NOTHING will ever suprise me when it comes to dumb. Nothing. Oh the stories I can tell.

dav5

This is a forum to discuss generators but it has individual threads such as this one. Glockfan also started a good thread about how to hard wire your generator to your house. If you click on his name then click on threads you will see it. It is easy to get off topic. I have done it many times. If you use the search feature you can access all kinds of great info that has already been discussed. Good Luck with your new generator.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks