• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

So you want to go faster?

GoHot229

BBF's right about the lane thing.....mabe with off brand street type tires in a 9 or 10.00x20 you could recoup some of the steering capabilities ? .....but oh yea, those are WAY cool to think about retrofitting into the Rockwells. Wish the price was more afordable, but as with anything new, production and tooling costs got'a come from somewhere.

Broke Down

give those gears a little time and they will come down when they sell more of them. that would be nice to have. i bet it would be a scary ride though....lol. i would like to hear from someone that is running them though. could you imagine passing someone on the interstate

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That should help MPG too... Unless you are burning whatever you can find, then it doesn't really matter too much. I wouldn't mind doing this one day, when the cost a set isn't a whole nother deuce! LOL

jasonjc

i cant stay in one lane at 50 plus mph i will be in 2 lanes at a higher speed
If you can stay in one lane there is some thing wrong with your truck. Mine will run down the road just fine at 55-60. Even when the right front tire blew out it was still easy to drive and control.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
If you want a 70 MPH deuce you better think about some 70 MPH brakes to go with it.
Running over a Honda that cuts in front of you and slams on the brakes can ruin your day.
The single master cylinder design needs to be addressed also.

When I was in the army in the 70's I spent two years in Germany......I put over 50,000 miles on a deuce driving for the mess hall and supply room.......brakes were my major headache.
I was constantly adding fluid and having air packs and master cylinders replaced.

I have heard that disc brakes can be adapted to the Rockwells but without fluid you are still screwed.

Maybe one of our master fabricators can come up with an easy resto install that would make our trucks safer.

From what ive read on this site, making our own "dual circuit" brakes should'nt be to much of a hassle. From what I can deduce from the schematics ive scene we would need, a second air pack and a second master cylinder and plumb in the new lines. It would deffinetly be a weekend project but I think its very doable once the parts have been accumulated and mounting solutions found.

tm america

i agree if you using twoanes get it checked out something is wrong with the truck or driver mine will run 70 nice and smooth all day .and seventy doesnt mean you need to drive stupidly brakes are fine ofr us guys that dont tailgate .i just wonder if the deuce will have enough power to move itself with 4.90 gear since they dont do to good even with 6.72s

randyscycle

My question would be: with anything over stock 9.00's, you'd probably have to take off in low range to get rolling without riding the clutch wouldn't you?

That's a significant difference in ratio......

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you can stay in one lane there is some thing wrong with your truck. Mine will run down the road just fine at 55-60. Even when the right front tire blew out it was still easy to drive and control.
Either of my trucks do fine staying in a single lane at 55.

sw

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
From what ive read on this site, making our own "dual circuit" brakes should'nt be to much of a hassle. From what I can deduce from the schematics ive scene we would need, a second air pack and a second master cylinder and plumb in the new lines. It would deffinetly be a weekend project but I think its very doable once the parts have been accumulated and mounting solutions found.

Not being the brake engineer why would you need two master cylinders? I would think that you could replace the MC on the Deuce with something akin to a 1-ton HD with power brakes of some sort. But now that I think about it that means a vacuum system..........

Oh well, I said I wasn't a brake engineer.

Who would want to go driving on a home made dual brake system? Anyone?

sw

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The TM for installing the split brake system is in the resources section. It uses 2 air packs and a dual master cylinder.;-)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks