• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

SoCal 2014 Summer Rally Camping Southern California San Bernardino mountains Big Bear

Torisco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Event pictures

Here come some of the pictures I took of this event.

Attachments

FASTNOVA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is my event before the event.
Our trip started off pretty good until we exited the freeway at the meet up spot. It was there that we heard a rhythmic hiss with each rotation of the wheels. I thought no big deal I came prepared with some tire jerky and a compressor and we will be on our way in no time. WRONG! We stopped and noticed that it was coming from the sidewall. Dang! Apparently it had been damaged in a previous life and what I thought was a superficial wound was actually worse, funny thing is I have had these tires for a while and even took them on several trail runs without incident.
We made a call to 100dollarman he said he had plenty of tires to choose from and we could take our pick just come on down.
I aired up the tire and if need be stop put more air in after all it was just a slow leak. We made it about 8 miles from his shop when the tire decided to become a speed bump on our trip to happiness. Well good thing (or bad thing) the military put run flats in these.
First we had to peel off the outer tread so that it would not damage the body. We cut into the side wall and wrapped a thick tie down strap to it and the other end to the bumper. Then we put the truck in reverse we were able to peel it away a foot at a time. This allowed us to make it to 100dollarmans place. Upon arrival... "Yay!!! we made it! Let's swap out tire/wheel with another and be on our we are on our way to happiness." WRONG! Unfortunately for us there were no tire/wheels available. We are going to have to reuse my rim and runflat. Dang! I had never changed one out before this was going to be a learning experience. Nothing left to do but roll up our sleeves, wipe the tears from our eyes and get to it.
We were able to reuse the run flat in the new tire. I would have thought after driving on it as much as we did it would have been junk. We pulled it out and not a scratch on it(these thing are tough)
Here is a list of what we used to change out a run flat:
1. a friend that does not mind looking like a monkey while jumping on a tire(or my case a cousin)
2. 3/8 chain 8 feet in length
3. liquid dish soap
4. long pry bar over 4 feet long
5. forklift
6. choice four letter words

Before 100dollarman's
hummer tire shredded.jpeg

After 100dollarman's
hummer tire afterwards.jpeg
Thanks Mark! I owe you a couple of coldies.

Many thanks to Blendmaster and Prospector for cooking and many many thanks to Deb for baking the cupcakes that I did not seem to get enough of. It was a lot of fun and as usual it was much too short. I think we might have to extend these events into a week long. Here are a few pictures of the good eating. Just looking at these pictures is making my mouth water.
Big Bear food rally 2014.jpeg
Note: Even Sasquatch came over and had to get a spoon full of the good corn
Sasquatch digging in.jpeg

Last edited:

FASTNOVA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Carlo if you are ever in town we will be glad if you joined us. Heck, with enough notice I'm sure we could even pick you up from the airport.

Carlo

Thanks but as long as I'm dreaming I want to attend with one of my trucks! I've followed this thread since the beginning and you guys got this rally going so well and the photos show proof everyone had a good time.

Russm

first set of pics

Attachments

Torisco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What a feed...

Many thanks to Blendmaster's mother for the potatoe salad, macaroni salad, cupcakes, and so on and so on.

The food was great and I am still stuffed. But, I could do another cupcake...........

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks