• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

social pressure to install a cage....

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
there.jpg
Friends & family, after seeing my videos, now want to ride with me. They say: "But you should install a rollcage." And they have no shortage of ideas of how to design it: "You need a crossbar here and a triangle there...." They have never built a cage in their life, but they are experts somehow.

And Wifey says " Si volteas la camioneta y te mueres, quien va a pagar las cuentas por aqui?" (If you roll it over and die, who will pay the bills around here?)

So I have watched hours and hours of rollover videos to help me decide what I need for my kind of driving. I'm not launching off the side of Pike's Peak nor doing whoops across the desert at 100 mph. More like the canyon obstacle seen in Top Truck Challenge 2014, Tank Trap parts 1 &2. Those trucks favor exo-cages, tip-overs seem more of an annoyance than anything to those guys. I also note they have winches on BOTH ends.

So, after I just got my suspension dialed in for the current weight distribution, I have to do it all over gain accounting for a back seat + 3 passengers + their stuff + a roll cage.

In about 3 thousand dollars from now, I'll post pics :)

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Seriously though, I'm all for self preservation! If your on the fence, go for it. If your not interested, I'd tell them "foad".

Ive had all kinds of input on my trucks, some of the ideas get implemented, others dont.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I saw a very impressive video of a Jeep rollover. Crawling along at walking speed, got tipped just a smidge off balance and then started tumbling sideways and then end over end.

I'm convinced that a rollcage is highly desirable. I'll see if I can find the video and post it here.

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Seriously though, I'm all for self preservation! If your on the fence, go for it. If your not interested, I'd tell them "foad".

Ive had all kinds of input on my trucks, some of the ideas get implemented, others dont.
Its a good idea to cage. One can initiate a rollover simply by dropping a front wheel in a deep hole. MOST of the videos show the cause to be either 1) doing donuts then the vehicle trips over something like that fella Merrick did 2) losing traction on a steep hill then getting sideways or 3) bouncing the front end against a ledge going up, then over backwards.

I don't do donuts. I suppose I could get sideways, but as soon as I sense traction loss I stop then pick a different line. And I never bounce it. Still, it could happen, and a cage is cheaper than doctor bills (I have a $6000 medical deductible). I haven't been overly concerned because it just me, but now I have to be responsible for other's safety.

I like the thought of altering a future outcome of a rollover event: From "Oh my God, someone call med-evac" to : "Well, this is annoying, now I gotta put it back rubber side down."

Last edited:

85CUCVtom

If you have the funds for a cage- do it. At the end of the day, its a safety feature, just like seatbelts. If your wheeling takes you to the point that you roll your truck, that cage will pay for itself real quick.

It's all subjective though. You might never roll your truck but wouldn't you rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it?

Are you able to design, bend and weld the cage yourself?

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you have the funds for a cage- do it. At the end of the day, its a safety feature, just like seatbelts. If your wheeling takes you to the point that you roll your truck, that cage will pay for itself real quick.

It's all subjective though. You might never roll your truck but wouldn't you rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it?

Are you able to design, bend and weld the cage yourself?
I do not have welding skills. I do have the resources to have it done professionally, however. I currently have an inquiry out to these folks locally: http://arizonajeeparmorrocksliders.com/

sandcobra164

In addition to a cage, I'd recommend a good 4 or 5 point seat harness and a helmet. My last two wreckers, M1089A1P2's and now M984A4 have 5 and 4 point harnesses respectively. The Army figured at some point that rollovers are alot more survivable if you don't get tossed around too badly inside the protective cab. A helmet helps keep your head protected in case it slams against something solid.

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In addition to a cage, I'd recommend a good 4 or 5 point seat harness and a helmet. My last two wreckers, M1089A1P2's and now M984A4 have 5 and 4 point harnesses respectively. The Army figured at some point that rollovers are alot more survivable if you don't get tossed around too badly inside the protective cab. A helmet helps keep your head protected in case it slams against something solid.
I'll make sure there is provision for 4 pt harness attachment. And I'll get some helmets. Now that I have embraced this idea, I'm all in.

85CUCVtom

+1 on quality race harnesses. I was gonna mention that in my earlier post but it was getting a little long winded.

Most race cages incorporate what’s called a harness bar; a tube that runs horizontal behind the seats about shoulder level. That provides a solid platform for attaching the shoulder straps of a harness.

If you are going the length to install a cage, you might as well do it right. I mentioned this before, you might not need it now but where will your wheeling take you?

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
+1 on quality race harnesses. I was gonna mention that in my earlier post but it was getting a little long winded.

Most race cages incorporate what’s called a harness bar; a tube that runs horizontal behind the seats about shoulder level. That provides a solid platform for attaching the shoulder straps of a harness.

If you are going the length to install a cage, you might as well do it right. I mentioned this before, you might not need it now but where will your wheeling take you?
We may have the case here where the cost of the safety equipment exceeds the value of the vehicle. That's OK: I have a 2000 Mercury Grand Marquis, an oil change exceeds its value :)

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh boy, the "experts" at work are already coming at me : "Exo-cage? Why on earth would you want to make a big truck even bigger??" Well, even with an exo-cage, its smaller than a Humveee, so there. <update> going with interior cage for technical reasons.

Last edited:

honda

This is the chap who built/installed my interior cage....http://www.hunteroffroad.com/. ( Tempe AZ ) Outstanding fab skillset, lots of patience and overall cool dude. Bonafide KA welder. Check out his website.
After his work I installed a removable harness bar for the five point harnesses ( when needed ) Only thing to add is undercarriage frame transition supports directly under the interior pillar posts and welded to the frame. Without transition supports a rollover might punch the pillar cage supports directly through the floor resulting in a bad hair day for riders. These supports will get done later this summer. Will post some pics later this week.

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Blazer to the Fabricator today

Dropped off the Blazer today to start the roll cage fab:

The fabricator convinced me not to go exo-cage. He would do it if I insist of course, but after discussing where I wheel, he suggested the external cage elements are "rock grabbers" and that I would be unhappy about that. We then slid under the truck with a tape measure and he pointed out how downward forces on the top of the cage in the event of a rollover would pass thru long lever arms to the frame, if that makes sense to you.

While we were under there he pointed out areas for improvement: the rearward shackle of the front springs are about 10 degrees forward when parked on level ground. He suggested some options to smooth out the ride by adjusting that angle to 10 degrees rearward. The shocks are serving as bumpstops & limit straps he noted, that arrangement could be improved. Thumbs up for the TH400 tranny, and ORD motor mounts, and ORD X-member. Suggested I might enjoy better stability with less lift and wider wheels.

As we talked about caging the rear of the truck, I decided on the spot to go with my instincts and delete the rear seat idea. Its going to be a two passenger vehicle. So ONE other person can ride along, not THREE. My wife is good with that compromise as long as the ONE is her :) So the cage will not extend all the way to the rear of the truck.

Provisions for 4 pt seat harness = yes.

Rocksliders = yes.

I looked over his personal buggy, to see how the weld & bends have held up. I asked if he ever tipped it over, he said: "Not since last weekend." Looks like it survived just fine.

Am looking forward to the finished product in about a week.

Last edited:

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe I heard wrong: I think he said 200 ft of tubing ?? My goodness. Maybe that was when we were still discussing caging the rear passenger area.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks