• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sockets

sht2kll

Howdy all: I need to change the the seal on the rear differential on my M1008. I was wondering if anybody knows offhand what size the nut is on the pinion shaft? I could not get a measurment while under the truck. Is it metric? wanted to make sure I had the socket to do the job before I started tearing into it.

Last edited:

jimm1009

Boys boys, he needs to change the input seal on his differential.
I can't halp you since I have a M1009 but hopefully someone will chime in
with the right size socket needed for removing the yoke retaining nut on the pinion shaft of your 5/4 truck.
I could quote tool number from the TM but that does not translate into size.
jimm1009

earnie

a really big hammer and a chisel,maybe a torh

ok seriously
id call a gm dealer and ask the service dept
or look at the online tech manuals at the top of the page UNDER RESOURCES
some really usefull info

Sorry to dig up an old thread but I'm wondering if someone can give a serious answer to this question before I pull the shaft and find out I don't have the right socket to continue. Anyone know what size socket I'll need for the rear pinion nut on my M1008? Thanks.

Mike

Last edited:
Well, I got this wrapped up fairly easily. The nut takes a 1 1/2" socket. It is extremely tight, and will probably take more leverage than you can muster to crack it loose while laying on your back with the truck on the ground.

I worked around this quickly by using a large breaker bar with a long pipe slid over it. I put the pipe up against the passenger side rear leaf spring (to get the proper rotation direction) locked the front hubs in and inched the truck forward in low range 4WD. Easy as pie. Then I used a steering wheel puller to pull the pinion flange from the pinion and replaced the seal. While under there, I reached up and checked the plastic axle vent at the end of the hose. Sure enough, it was stuck and not venting. Cleaned and freed it up and reassembled everything. No more leaks. It was spraying so badly before that there was gear lube splattered all over the tailgate!