• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

SOCOM PINZ MOD info

popacom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not out of scope with my equipment or ability,just hope I can maintain my enthusiasm
as I have a vision in my mind of final result and I'm psyched!!!!!!!!!

popacom [thumbzup]

duncan

Looks like it had a run-in with a combine harvester or steam powered snow blower. The cab looks very good but I assume thats a new/different one than the original. It's going to be a fun time getting this puzzle back in shape!
Ow I laughed at the pristine quality stainless brake line in one of those pics :mrgreen:

Pinz25086

The body is NOT a 718. It is the first generation with the gas engine. The back bone looks like it was from a first generation also but I can not be sure from these pictures. It was heavily modified but I think that it started lift as a 712. I know that there are people (me too!) that would really like to figure out what the brake system parts are. Looks like they found a rotor and cut the axle to fit in. The original Pinz half shafts do not bolt on. Looking forward to watch the progress of this as it goes back together.

Wayne

B3.3T

That is certainly a 710M body. No question. Other than inboard brakes, not much different that stock.

popacom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As I stated in earlier part of this post ,the 718 modified body was involved in a front end crash it was 6x6, they(uncle sugar) had fun with torches( I call it waisting tax payers dollars ,read demill everything) and I scrapped what was left of the body. It was CARC black, I realize now I shoulda took pics of it while the body was still mounted:-(
accented with CARC black,the dash area was all modded had air guages,aircraft switches ,etc
also had some kind of big steel fabrications in bed area which looked like a big spool rack of some sort,and yes the 4x4 body is from a 710m(GAS) this was aqquired from another dealer
and wil be used to make the SOCOM chassis into a 4x4 . There was also some kind of pto assy. which appeared to have been driven off the front of the crank pulley but as I said the eng was missing from this unit when I got it,they cut all the heim joints that swung the tubular A-arms luckily they cut them in the threaded section and they will all just un-screw and be replaced (but let me tell ya the co.'s that make 7/8 high stength heim's are proud of there products$75.00 ea. x16 the math sucks!) anyhow that go's with a project of this nature but as I stated earlier i think it will be worth it in the end. ...........also still looking for tech. info on civilian H-1 HUMMV CTIS system as I intend to reuse this feature in the build.
So you guy's wish me luck and as I get further allong I'll post more pics and details.

:beer: Thanks for your interest and support!!!
popacom

david1092

I have both pinz and hummer, the discs and callipers are from a hummer/hmmwv. No sign of the geared hubs or arm's in your photos but the A-arm bushing spacing looks about right.

I would suspect that the brakes were moved up because of water travel and/or lots of mud.

The Ctis is pretty simple to install, you will need the geared hubs that are set up for CTIS. There is simply a pipe fitting on the hub that you connect the air to. It looks like you already have the ctis wheels and fittings.

I am not sure about the half shafts but from what I can see from the photo's they look like hmmwv's, they may however have been lengthened.

the rest of the stuff looks like a pinz 712. The tube frame around the chassis looks like it was setup to support the hmmwv suspension, geared hubs and brake system.

Having had both trucks in pretty rough conditions (there are very comparable in terms of capability) I can't really understand why all the work was put into doing the mod, except perhaps because of the brake issue mentioned before. With new a-arms and half shafts larger tires could be installed, but then why not just use a hummer with a lift, unless it was supposed to not look like a hummer? a 2 man hummer has about the same bed capacity (if extended a bit) as the 712?

david1092

Ok
On closer look, the half shafts ARE from the hummer, the A-arms are NOT. the hummer A-arm uses bushings, the chassis you have appears to have spherical bearings, likely a custom fabricated deal.

Let me know if you need any more info on the hummer and ctis system.

FYI - those are the 2 piece Aluminum hummer wheels - very expensive.

Last edited:

popacom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm with you on your observations up to the point that you feel the running gear is 712. From what I observed at Aberdeen last year after crawling under as many 710/712's as I could, I observed(correct me if I'm wrong)that the input shaft from transmission to transfer case section comes in on passenger side of backbone ,where as on my chassis it comes in on the drivers side of the backbone. The other indications that it was718 was it had what I refer to as the "snoot'front end to accept the radiator for liquid cool vs. air cooled. As I stated earlier in my thread the L3 commo. guys from the building that turned the vehicle in told me the motor( a liquid cooled VW diesel and trans . were retained for a future SOCOM project)
However if I can say I have had little luck verifying 718 details as so few seem to be around in civy hands.
Your input for further thoughts would be appreciated and welcomed. The A-arms are definitely custom,have'nt gotten any pics of them yet but I feel they used Humvee ball joints upper&lower and the geared hubs are definitely Humvee/CTIS
units. As for the two piece alum. rims I 'd say you are right about pricey,however for what I invision in the finished project I would rather have steel military CTIS units,more military looking than the allum. ones

I would like to study the original CTIS system but did not find info. covering it on WWW. Hope to hear more comments from you and appreciate
your interest.

popacom (Bill Kagin III)
859-808-0836 :beer:

B3.3T

In regards to the original mission for such a vehicle, the need did arise in Bosnia. The HMMWV is just too wide for many remote locations that are accustomed to small trucks/cars or even horse drawn wagons. Bridges, mountain trails, tunnels, etc. just will not handle anything that wide. The Type 183 Iltis used by German, Belgian, and Canadian forces was ideal. This has also been an issue in Afghanistan. The current production Pinzgauer 716 and 718 are a good solution and in use with British Forces and limited use by Canadian and US Marines. These have disc brakes. Not sure what SOCOM attempting to gain here, but it is an interesting project.

david1092

Good point on the width. I have seen this first hand and it is a real disadvantage of the hmmwv. Still the hummer feels narrow once you start drving the stalwart throught the same trails...(My avatar has hummer in the background)

If you want to trade for some steel 2 pc whels let me know. I have a set of 12 bolt with the ctis hardware installed. You could also sell the 17" ones you have but you will have to clean them up to get a decent price.

I can email the parts book pages for the ctis if you send me your email address.

There ia not that much to the ctis. It can be assembled out of solenoid valves or you can find one of the manifold assemblies from the newer hummers. The original trucks (92-93) where built from off the shelf solenoid valves and a 3 way valve to select front, rear or both tires for inflation. There is also a solenoid for deflate. Some guys have built their own ctis and put the compressor under the passenger seat. In the pinz, somewhere behind the front seats or in the tool box would be the best locations I would think.

The compressor is a standard DC operated unit that you can buy from outfits like mcmaster carr.

popacom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I actually saved alot of the above mentioned parts from the SOCOM stuff ,including a nice big 24V compressor
and storage tank which I figured I would reuse ,that way I can have on board air for off-road adventures.
I am also wondering on the gas Pinz's were'nt the lockers etc. engaged hydraulic ,cause I also think based on what I observed dismantling the body it appeared to have vacum storage pods as well as the swithces connected to the diaphrams
appeared to be vacum units on the backbone. what size tires do the CTIS rims you have run?-16.5?and what do you want for them,one more question: what do you think I could get out of the alum. rims and 17" B.F.G.-BAJA T/A's?

popacom :beer:

southdave

popcom I would start looking up GM truck off road kits for a arm they reck of those mod kits and makes sence, if not they will get you close enough to fab up to work. there a place in cincy that can make you axle shafts reasonable

popacom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
More pics on the way

I sent my son down to the shop to snap some pics of the A-arm assy's and the
D%$@^%t thing happened,he called me back and said he ran into an old girlfriend
and that the pics were on the schedule for tomorrow! ................OH WELL! I guess I was his age once too LOL! I did manage to find out today that there were a couple more of these trucks like mine at one time according to one of the SOCOM guys that I met at work ,so maybe some of the guys that worked with these units will clue me in on missing pieces of the puzzle. I asked my buddy that works down there to ask around and if info would not cause any"ISSUES" for them to give me a call. Will keep my digits crossed on that one for now! As soon as #2
son gets the pics to me I'll post them up,Thanks everyone for the input and help.

popacom [thumbzup]

popacom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I left work Friday could'nt help noticing that there are more Pinz's in the SOCOM
lot they have several but don' know what models or there scheduled fate at this time. It is difficult to get close
to that part of the lot right now due to the fact there is construction in process,not to mention the 2000+
new up-armored HEMTT trucks they are processing in from OSHKOSH ,but I am gonna try to find out if they are gonna
sell or scrap these units or if they are scheduled for re-work. Will try to keep all interested persons posted as I learn
new info.

popacom:beer:

popacom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Counted 9 PINZ in SOCOM lot

Well as I stated in earlier post I noticed that more Pinzgauers had showed up in the SOCOM lot ,but I relly could'nt make out how many or what models were there. I made a point of leaving work by route that took me fairly close to the lot they are stored in as to get a closer look. 1 that looks to have been rolled
and 8 that are pretty much intact. No word from the guys in the area that put them in the lot as to what there fate will be,sure hope it is'nt the same as over 60 of the sexed up CARC black Land Rovers w/all the trimmings (I.R. drive lights,smoke launchers,winches,HUMVEE weapons stations etc........as they sent all of them to bedford scrap in IN. and they ground them into corn flakes..........can you say "MAKES YOU SICK: just visualizing don't it ? Hope at least maybe the roll-over will make it out to local scrap dealer so I have a chance to get at least a few parts. In one of the other threads in this saga someone mentioned Brit units in use ,and I am speculating that these may be ex-Brit units as the paint thats on them reminds me of color I have seen on other British trucks in desert environment,its what I will call "Flat desert orange" don't know the proper name to describe it. Well they all looked to be 718 6x6 trucks ,and the wheel centers are odd looking,don't know what the deal there is either,anyone care to speculate? Well as I said will just have to wait and see what transpires with them. Thanks for your interest & comments.

popacom.....Bill Kagin III in KY.

:beer:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks