• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Soft Back window m1009

Ordak

Has anyone ever put a soft back window in their m1009? I have an idea of using a tailgate from a m1008 or civilian truck and I want to utilize a soft window because I hate the oem back window and tailgate. I don't want it to look like a 16 year old hacked together a piece of clear vinyl to the back. Any ideas or thoughts?

Ordak

what about rerouting the exhaust so it would a single 3" on one side? I know with the my current oem dual exhaust I get some fumes back in when going slow (under 25mph). Both sides of my tailgate have a 1/4" see through gaps. But I wondering if moving it to one side would help or would it still get drawn in due to the negative pressure at the rear? I might due something like rick did on the mule m1009

Csm Davis

Ignore chicken little, it doesn't have to be air tight but tighter is better for many reasons. I have been looking at adding rear hatch from a jeep or camper shell or older blazer

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Barrman

I don't really appreciate being called chicken little.

I don't know what kind of long drives others have done in a M1009 at highway speeds. My rear glass slowly settles down. I have found that after a few hours at speed, I will start to get a headache. If I notice it and think about it. A look in the mirror at the glass a few inches down is always what I see. Leaving the gate handle unlocked keeps the window up. I can drive hours and hours without a headache then.

I was talking to three other forum members just a few weeks ago about this at a parade. They experience the same thing with the headaches and other symptoms in M1009 trucks with settling back glass.

Practical application wise. There is a large low pressure area around the rear glass. A flexible glass would probably bubble out at some speeds and be forced to bubble in at others. It might work just fine until one of the door windows or floor vents get moved to a position that changes the pressure on the flexible window in the rear. Then it will probably join you in the front seat or fly away never to be seen again.

Csm Davis

I don't know what kind of long drives others have done in a M1009 at highway speeds. My rear glass slowly settles down. I have found that after a few hours at speed, I will start to get a headache. If I notice it and think about it. A look in the mirror at the glass a few inches down is always what I see. Leaving the gate handle unlocked keeps the window up. I can drive hours and hours without a headache then.

I was talking to three other forum members just a few weeks ago about this at a parade. They experience the same thing with the headaches and other symptoms in M1009 trucks with settling back glass.

Practical application wise. There is a large low pressure area around the rear glass. A flexible glass would probably bubble out at some speeds and be forced to bubble in at others. It might work just fine until one of the door windows or floor vents get moved to a position that changes the pressure on the flexible window in the rear. Then it will probably join you in the front seat or fly away never to be seen again.
There are 10's of thousands of blazers out there. Your speculation is not needed, there has been soft tops for these trucks for a long time so we know that you will not die. That is why I called you chicken little, you are saying things are dangerous based on your faulty rear window. Jeeps, Blazers, Broncos, and other SUV's have run soft tops for years. No flying rear windows dead drivers if used properly.
And I personally have probably 300,000+ miles in Blazers and Jeeps with soft tops and no top and open hard tops, you just need to make sure you don't have just the rear open and not the front, this stops the problem. If you need more fresh air up front keep the vents open and possibly turn on the fan.

Ordak

Well maybe a full on soft top will be better, I may need to save up some money first because last thing I want to do is make it looked rigged. As for the exhaust I am going to change it soon regardless it is too loud and I want a single exhaust at 3"

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jeff, if you are going to be rude, I'll have to step in with my 2cents.

Barrman is NOT speculating, he is stating facts. He did not say you would die, he said you will get a headache. This is from carbon monoxide poisoning from the exhaust fumes.

I have driven Blazers and similar vehicles since the mid-70s. My first was a 1971 Blazer. Every single hardtop I have driven with the rear window open has sucked in exhaust fumes, along with road heat. If you drive with the rear open, the air blows OUT the front windows, confirming that the air is coming in the back.
Driving another SS members M1009 that had no rear window when purchased, at highway speeds, I have had my drink cup blown out of my hand and OUT the driver's window.
SOFT TOPS tend not to as badly, since there is so much air flowing in from all sides.
No top, no problem.

Having a difference of opinion is fine, but let's do it without name-calling.

Cheers

richingalveston

If you wish to ride with the rear window down, you need one of those rear wings that turn the air down behind the vehicle. The wings serve two purposes. keep exhaust gasses from recirculating, and keep the back of the vehicle clean.

when I complete my roof rack, it will have the rear wing mainly to keep the back clean.
Most of the soft tops are sealed up pretty well, the zipper and Velcro work well enough to keep the exhaust gasses out. If you cannot feel a draft from the back window you are probably safe. when the tops are off the aerodynamics are totally different and there is not a roof to trap the gasses and bring them back to the driver.

there is one company, mentioned in many threads that apparently has a pretty Impressive soft top.
I prefer the hard top, don't plan to take it off

Csm Davis

Okay so about the chicken little name calling, I apologize.

Csm Davis

what about rerouting the exhaust so it would a single 3" on one side? I know with the my current oem dual exhaust I get some fumes back in when going slow (under 25mph). Both sides of my tailgate have a 1/4" see through gaps. But I wondering if moving it to one side would help or would it still get drawn in due to the negative pressure at the rear? I might due something like rick did on the mule m1009
Don't choke your engine a single 3" won't be enough or help the rear flow. Two 3" would be a great addition and good mufflers will quieten it down.

Csm Davis

Has anyone ever put a soft back window in their m1009? I have an idea of using a tailgate from a m1008 or civilian truck and I want to utilize a soft window because I hate the oem back window and tailgate. I don't want it to look like a 16 year old hacked together a piece of clear vinyl to the back. Any ideas or thoughts?
You can use snaps or a flip under edge like the newer jeeps, a good upholstery shop will be able to make a nice rear window with the right attachments.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks