• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Soft Slant Back

buhdontcare

Hey Guys, any idea why we don't see more of these? If you just fab (2) steel tube pieces to create the slant & get creative with a custom piece of fabric w/ grommets & anchor points...It should give your slant back look for like 1/100th of the price.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
May as well use DOM tubing and also add a cross piece. Then tie it all to the frame and have ROPS.

I suspect once you have a competent fab shop do the steel, and a professional canvas place do the canvas, that it really wouldn't be all that cheap.

And the snobs would still look down their noses at you "because it isn't a real slant back. "

papakb

We probably don't see more of them because there's 0 "cool factor" in a soft slantbank. There were a couple of attempts at making a fiberglass slant back but they never got very popular either. If you want a brute force toy it just isn't there and if what you want is something usable then if it's soft topped them it's an M1038.

dilvoy

Hey Guys, any idea why we don't see more of these? If you just fab (2) steel tube pieces to create the slant & get creative with a custom piece of fabric w/ grommets & anchor points...It should give your slant back look for like 1/100th of the price.
If the design you make is as usable as either a hard slantback or a soft cargo cover then you will have an item that you could possibly sell many hundreds of.

Lowmaks

****, if you really wanna cut cost and make something easy to install and uninstall, why don't you just use PVC pipes instead of steel? Not being sarcastic.

buhdontcare

^Was thinking that...or even pressure treated lumber. I have no need to endure the elements...no needs for anything other then the "look" of the slant back to the general public. My vee is used for business/shows so again, it just needs to look the look.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Two approaches :

1) this is *better* than a slantback. It doesn't leak or rattle and it provides ROPS. All while cosmetically looking slantbackish....

2) I don't want to sink the $$ into a real slantback so I made this thing that superficially looks like it might be a slantback when looked at from a distance by the clueless masses.

I think you really want to avoid #2...

sully199

Any company that is an authorized Hummer parts dealer, I know rubber duck, said there was one available a couple month ago, when I checked with them for one of my customers

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought some steel 1/2" conduit and a mess of fittings to throw something together but haven't had time. After standing behind my HMMWV with the various fittings for half an hour I believe I have a picture in my mind of how to put together a soft slant back, with hatchback of course, but I have to set aside the time to start and finish it with the plan running in my head.

I will document it thoroughly if/when I get to it. I want it done before winter to seal the HMMWV better against the elements. I'm tired of water intrusion from the bed area into the passenger compartment. Haven't bothered to put much effort into improving the interior as a result and want it a bit more tidy and refreshed.

Sorry to not have proof, but I do think I can see it in my head.

I agree that someone who could throw together a removable, but not otherwise accessible (no hatch) could probably sell quite a few. Hmmmm, maybe that should be me...

Bulldogger

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks