• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Soft top advice needed.

OEFISHER

The stitching on the front of the top (where it connects to the plastic piece) keeps failing. The first one came apart and I got a new top and it has only lasted a couple of years. the rest of the top is in great shape. Any suggestions as to how to reattach it? The plastic is so hard I'm not sure it can be resewn. If I'm being an idiot be kind :roll:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Many members have used the j-strip plastic that boat shop use. The old plastics gets so hard that it can not be sewn. Only issue is that most of it comes in grey.

Other options are to use Pylo-bond, pop rivets, or other fasteners.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pop rivets spaced about 1.5 inches apart seem to work. Did mine that way about four years ago and they are still holding just fine. If the plastic is too brittle, you can get a piece of vinyl siding with a lip on it and use that in place of the plastic. Rattle can paint will cover the pop rivet washers and any vinyl that shows.

Jeepsinker

It helps to fill the leading edge of the seam with a sealer or glue as well. It keeps the wind from getting under the edge and lifting the vinyl away from the plastic.

Seth_O

My stitching let go 4-5yrs ago on the recovery. I fixed it with a piece of vinyl siding with the J lip from Home Depot and a bottle of good epoxy. Once the epoxy was applied (the entire length of the siding piece) I clamped them together with a 2x4, and then applied a bead all along the front to prevent wind getting underneath and between the vinyl top and the siding piece. Quick shot of OD spray paint and it looks pretty good imho. And its held up for the last 4-5yrs with no problems!

Akicita

I bought mine in 2010 from Ken Kublo in Pennsylvania. Five years alter, it still looks like new on the inside.
Ken has a website. You can look him up. I have no idea what he charges for a new one plus shipping now.
There is probably a dealer closer to where you are.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks