• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Soft top install: windshield mounting point missing?

V8Merc124

How do I install soft top : windshield mounting point missing?

Hi all, first post here.

I got an m998 with no roof or doors currently that I am trying to install a 4 man soft top kit on and I'm looking on the top of the windshield frame for how this top will mount to it. I currently have put up the c pillar and its roof structure. It looks like I am missing a part and the new old stock kit does not have any extra parts. I've been looking for close up pics of the part, which I assume is a strip of trim that has screw holes in it (windshield channel?). But I have no clue what it actually looks like and I have been searching the net all over for this part. Im wondering how the roof top actually connects to the windshield frame? Could anyone help me out with this portion of the install or show me what part I am missing.

The only part number I have come across is this NSN 2540011965313 P.N. 5581367 and I cant even find a picture of it to see if this is what I am missing.

I would appreciate any help you guys could provide.

Thanks

Last edited:

DatGuyC

I was missing the same part when I got mine. The only place that had one was hummer parts guy but you have to ask as it doesn't say they have any on their site. Also don't install the soft top without the windshield former(that's its name) because you have to install the top inside the former before you put it on the rest of the roof.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fig. 212 of TM9-2320-387-24p
Item # 8
part number 5581367
ws.jpg

V8Merc124

I did see that site, but wasnt sure if i should email them or not. I will now. Thanks for the schematic! I couldnt find anything on ebay, any other sources for this item?

IroncladGA

I ordered one from Kascar about 4 years ago. The part # from that order was 12340031. I just googled that, and didn 't find any for sale. Might be worth calling them to check. Website doesn't show any.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kascar is out of stock....I need one too. You Can try an awning shop that does canvas work. They use the same method. It's called a C- channel.

V8Merc124

An awning shop...hmmm now finding a local one may be hard for us. I cant think of many places still working with canvas. I wonder if the Home Depot my have something. If I could see a close up of it and what the channel looks like I could try to make it.

V8Merc124

Well I emailed the hummer parts guy and they will be getting them soon. Its like $75 for the part but the shipping is insane, about $50 to me! Its a dimensional issue.

nafshiel

Hi there, I am looking for (I think) the same part....
I have been going through a 2 man to 4 man top conversion and when I removed the 2 man top these just crumbled and were not salvageable.
I now can't properly connect the new top to Pillar A
Any idea where I could find it?

nafshiel

Thanks for the response - I am actually looking for part number 19 & 20 in this diagram -
It's the part that holds the top pf the frame to the A Pillar.
Thanks in advance!

Windshield.jpg

V8Merc124

View attachment 625610
i got a nice one i took off my truck to make a hardtop
i will sell it for $40 plus shipping
i can cut it in half to make shipping cheaper,i am in haines city fl 33844
V8Merc124 got first shot at it
Thank you sir for first shot at it.
But I got mine back in post #8 on the first page. Cutting it in half is the easiest way to ship without damaging the channel. I got mine zip tied to an 8 foot shipping tube in a box.

V8Merc124

Thanks for the response - I am actually looking for part number 19 & 20 in this diagram -
It's the part that holds the top pf the frame to the A Pillar.
Thanks in advance!

View attachment 625691
I think 19 & 20 are a nut and bolt system on a rubber gromet. These are for the side structures that bolt to the pillars for the bows to connect too. Fastenal has them, measure the diameter of the hole and bolt size you need.

HUMVEE1

Ace Hardware has the rubber well nuts that go into the holes on the A and B pillars but you also have to buy new machine screws from Ace and that means opening the well nut packages to test the fit while nobody is looking.
The rope channel that goes on the top of the windshield frame is a tough part to ship. Very fragile. If you care about originality just bite the bullet and buy the best you can find.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks