• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Soft Top

Ford Mechanic

Good info on those little bars now to fix mine.

Any one know if someone makes a bikini top for the M35 like the jeeps? All top, no back? Would be cool for the beach.....It's 45* here and you see where my mind is at:D

vincentbsll

This may sound stupid but my top rails clanked so bad going down the road so I took and used a zip tie on each one and used it on the windshield side. Ran the tie down through the hole and wrapped it around the rod. Now it makes no noise at all. I tried the bending of the rods but eventually they would pop back out.

Blueduce

I found a neat trick that worked great. I used copper pipe insulation on all my poles and spreaders. It stretched the top the 1/2" or so it needed and quieted the wind and chatter noise considerably. Here's before / after picks.

Attachments

greenmonster

anyone have any pics of the top as it is in the channel on the windshield. my new top is not fitting right. It was missing strip when I got truck so I am not sure how it is supposed to look. Thanks.

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I actually added 2 more bows in-between the others to give even more support to the top. Works great and the top fits tighter.
I saw when you did that and put it on my "Upgrade" list right away.
Right now my whole top assembly is not up to what I want, . . . still collecting parts ;)
and I put too much time into the She Beast . . .

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I found a neat trick that worked great. I used copper pipe insulation on all my poles and spreaders. It stretched the top the 1/2" or so it needed and quieted the wind and chatter noise considerably. Here's before / after picks.
That is the coolest! I'm doing that.

joshs1ofakindxj

I didn't want to start a new thread on this.

I went to put a nice new 3 color vinyl insulated soft top on my truck last night. I'm using door window frames from another deal, and they look old but still good.

The problem came when I tried to slide the vertical window frame engaging strips into the channels in the old window frame. I greased them and the farthest I got them was a few inches. Both sides are equally tight and don't appear damaged. Do I have the wrong frames from an older type of top? I'm hoping I'm making some simple mistake someone can advise me on before I pound a drill rod through there to widen the slot.

brianp454

Can you take pics?

I didn't want to start a new thread on this.

I went to put a nice new 3 color vinyl insulated soft top on my truck last night. I'm using door window frames from another deal, and they look old but still good.

The problem came when I tried to slide the vertical window frame engaging strips into the channels in the old window frame. I greased them and the farthest I got them was a few inches. Both sides are equally tight and don't appear damaged. Do I have the wrong frames from an older type of top? I'm hoping I'm making some simple mistake someone can advise me on before I pound a drill rod through there to widen the slot.

Blueduce

I Had to clean both channels of the window frame. I found a piece of "all thread" about the same diameter as the hard rubber engaging strip and ran it through the door channel a time or two. That should re-round the channel and remove any rust or burrs.I then used a shotgun cleaning rod and a brass bore brush. I think a 9mm brush was the one I settled on. Lot's or crud came out along with the CLP I used as lube for the brush. With the CLP still wet inside the channel I gently tapped the rubber engaging strip into the channel (From the top) with a rubber mallet. It took some time but worked well. Good luck. I tried the "pry with a big screwdriver" option and that caused more dammage to the channel.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks