• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Softer Springs

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Get ready to part with the $$$

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Has anyone run the Cepek shocks with stock springs in an ECV truck? Or have an educated opinion on that setup?

I've read through both threads, but for what I want there's a lot of superfluous information. I don't want a lift and the truck seems pretty level already.

Last week I was on a gravel road with many small potholes - 20 yards in and I thought by brain was going to pulverize and weep out my ears. It was an abusive ride to say the least. I drive my M1009 up in the National Forest a lot to shoot guns, hike, camp, etc., but those roads are pretty much the same as the one I drove last week; ruts, potholes, washboarding.

So I'd like to keep the stock progressive springs I have, and try a softer shock. Can I disconnect the shocks at the bottom and let them hang, then drive it around some to test the theory, or do they need to come out completely?

M1165 with soft top/doors, so pretty light.

1686230384982.png

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry about the superfluous info, I did run my M998 without any shocks before buying the Cepek shocks
Here's part of the information from the thread I wrote when I was replacing the coils and looking for shocks

"After playing with tire pressure and different road test, I found out that the coils make a difference, but not at $1,200.00 one.
So this is where I am, I remembered seeing an old car on the road with dead shocks and how the car was bouncing up and down, then it hit me, that's kind of what I would like, but not as soft as that.
So I decided to remove my new 10K shocks and just run on the coils as a test, so don't be too quick to judge here, but the ride improved so much ,that this was the ride I'm looking for, when over the same road at 25lbs of pressure and wow, this is nice. "

M1028A1ShelterCarrier

Has anyone run the Cepek shocks with stock springs in an ECV truck? Or have an educated opinion on that setup?

I've read through both threads, but for what I want there's a lot of superfluous information. I don't want a lift and the truck seems pretty level already.

Last week I was on a gravel road with many small potholes - 20 yards in and I thought by brain was going to pulverize and weep out my ears. It was an abusive ride to say the least. I drive my M1009 up in the National Forest a lot to shoot guns, hike, camp, etc., but those roads are pretty much the same as the one I drove last week; ruts, potholes, washboarding.

So I'd like to keep the stock progressive springs I have, and try a softer shock. Can I disconnect the shocks at the bottom and let them hang, then drive it around some to test the theory, or do they need to come out completely?

M1165 with soft top/doors, so pretty light.

View attachment 899193
Interested, thinking about the same setup.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry about the superfluous info, I did run my M998 without any shocks before buying the Cepek shocks
Here's part of the information from the thread I wrote when I was replacing the coils and looking for shocks

"After playing with tire pressure and different road test, I found out that the coils make a difference, but not at $1,200.00 one.
So this is where I am, I remembered seeing an old car on the road with dead shocks and how the car was bouncing up and down, then it hit me, that's kind of what I would like, but not as soft as that.
So I decided to remove my new 10K shocks and just run on the coils as a test, so don't be too quick to judge here, but the ride improved so much ,that this was the ride I'm looking for, when over the same road at 25lbs of pressure and wow, this is nice. "
I read both threads. Superfluous as in superfluous to my application, not necessarily yours. ;)

I'm at work so I cannot go look at the suspension, and I don't have enough tech knowledge to know off the top of my head, but can I just unbolt the bottom of the shocks and drive around like that a little?

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They are easy to take off, remove the top bolt, then remove the bottom screws, the shock should slide out, you might have to jack a wheel at a time to remove the shock, but the rides is much smoother. I also remove the front stabilizer bar on mine, the wheels move more independently. Quick stuff to try and it won't cost you anything, at least at for now ....

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They are easy to take off, remove the top bolt, then remove the bottom screws, the shock should slide out, you might have to jack a wheel at a time to remove the shock, but the rides is much smoother. I also remove the front stabilizer bar on mine, the wheels move more independently. Quick stuff to try and it won't cost you anything, at least at for now ....
Thanks, I will give that a try.

A web search for the Cepek shocks came up empty. Perhaps they don't make them anymore? Link to a supplier?

Glider

I installed the cepek adjustable shocks. To recap, m998, soft top and doors, armada springs, run flats removed, cepek adjustibme set on 2(very soft), sway bar attached, spare tire carrier.

The truck rides great, takes speed bumps and bumps fantastic. Offroad is much more pleasant with better articulation. Really transforms the truck. I haven't tried without away bar.

SmartDrug

@LouWon - Are you still running it without shocks? How does it handle at speed/corners? Do potholes/uneven roads really upset it?

I'm running a softtop/doors (usually off) M1123 (non-MAK) and 95% of my driving is under 45mph. I would LOVE to soften the ride up a LOT for the sake of the family's comfort.

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
@LouWon - Are you still running it without shocks? How does it handle at speed/corners? Do potholes/uneven roads really upset it?

I'm running a softtop/doors (usually off) M1123 (non-MAK) and 95% of my driving is under 45mph. I would LOVE to soften the ride up a LOT for the sake of the family's comfort.
I have the Cepek shocks on mine, I did run for a week or two without shocks before I ordered them, not on the trails , just city driving, it had a good ride compared to the military shocks

SmartDrug

I have the Cepek shocks on mine, I did run for a week or two without shocks before I ordered them, not on the trails , just city driving, it had a good ride compared to the military shocks
Would it be reasonable to run it all the time or are you glad you put on the Cepek’s?

I did some scrounging earlier and it looks like a mid 2000s Pathfinder shocks would work, but require the stud to be threaded and mated to an eyehole converter. That or some shocks from a late ‘90s Chevy 1500, there are some Ranchos 9000s that seem to fit the bill.

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Would it be reasonable to run it all the time or are you glad you put on the Cepek’s?

I did some scrounging earlier and it looks like a mid 2000s Pathfinder shocks would work, but require the stud to be threaded and mated to an eyehole converter. That or some shocks from a late ‘90s Chevy 1500, there are some Ranchos 9000s that seem to fit the bill.
I do not think that it would be wise to run it without shocks for a long period of time, but the decision is yours.
With that said, I am very satisfied with the Cepek shocks, no issues, plus I can adjust them on the fly.
Before spending any money:
Remove all 4 shocks and drive it for a while, you will see a big difference
I would not replace the coils, I would rather invest in the shocks
Like I mentioned in my thread, the new coils made a difference, but not a $1,200.00 difference, plus replacing them can be some work depending on your technical skills
I would also remove the front stabilizer bar, the wheels will then work more freely = better ride
For a few hours of work and of no cost, I would start with that.

I would also play with the tire pressure, I run mine around 22 psi.

Last edited:

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I do not think that it would be wise to run it without shocks for a long period of time, but the decision is yours.
With that said, I am very satisfied with the Cepek shocks, no issues, plus I can adjust them on the fly.
Before spending any money:
Remove all 4 shocks and drive it for a while, you will see a big difference
I would not replace the coils, I would rather invest in the shocks
Like I mentioned in my thread, the new coils made a difference, but not a $1,200.00 difference, plus replacing them can be some work depending on your technical skills
I would also remove the front stabilizer bar, the wheels will then work more freely = better ride
For a few hours of work and of no cost, I would start with that.
He will probably find his ECV springs are much stiffer than your M998 springs.

Autonomy_Lost

I wouldnt drive on the road regularly without shocks. It will affect handling and body roll, possibly putting you in an unsafe situation.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I waited to hear from anyone with a ECV truck that had taken the shocks off and tried it without. Since nobody replied, I slid out after church and dropped all four. Easy job - no jacking - took about and hour.

shocksoff.jpg

Once I cleaned up the tools I drove it about 10 miles to some trails to see how it felt. On-road up to 60MPH (the fastest I was able to go on the roads I was using) it feels good - enough bounce to want some shock but not bad at all. Off-road was much better than with the shocks, but still pretty stiff. Keeping in mind mine is a soft-top and soft doors, so about as light as a M1165 can get.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks