• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Solar Panel Idea for 24v Battery

rogpike

So I posted recently an idea I am going to use to exercise my 803a with a 7.5KW load and a 5KW load from Rural King. Very inexpensive and easy/safe way to load your genset.....anywho....I am going to purchase this to keep my batteries topped off.

Just thought I would share. If I am breaking a rule please delete the thread.

2017-11-03 11.47.20.jpg

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is just a solar panel. You'd want a charge controller between it and your genset batteries.
Not good to hook the panel directly to the batteries as it could/would overcharge and ruin your batteries.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Most guys use the Solargizer battery maintainers, including me.
Military issue and very dependable.
They work great.
Available on eBay.

I have them on every MV I own.
Genset/light tower also.

Lots of threads about them

fa35jsf

Agreeded. There are some charge controllers for about $20 on amazon. There may also be solar panels that have them built in. The hard thing is finding one for 24v

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Triple Jim

If you happened to have installed one of my 24v regulators on an 002A or 003A, you can wire up a switch to disconnect the battery charging alternator and connect a solar panel to the regulator's two yellow wires. The regulator will then act as a charge controller. A 2-pole double-throw switch would do the job. Just keep the charge current down to an amp or two, since the regulator won't be cooled by the engine's cooling fan during solar charging.

rogpike

That is just a solar panel. You'd want a charge controller between it and your genset batteries.
Not good to hook the panel directly to the batteries as it could/would overcharge and ruin your batteries.
I believe you can get by without a charge controller on that low of a wattage 24 solar panel. 10 watts 24 volts should work great without it.....think of your vehicle..it puts a constant 13 to 15 volts on your 12 volt battery without ever "switching off" the current.

If you go any higher than 10 watts you would want a charge controller. For those of you who would want a charge controller no matter the circumstances... I just purchased one that I use on my buckeye camera system cell base that automatically detects between a 12v and 24v setup. That charge controller was 17.99. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01F5WFK5C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am very familiar with the solargizer setup. I shared this alternative solar panel setup for those who like to save money. Most solargizers I have seen are close to 60-100 bucks. This panel is 20 bucks and I believe it is a little more powerful than the solargizer.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Solargizer also sends out a pulse that keeps the battery plates free of sulfation.
The other setup does not.

You do get what you pay for.
Go cheap.....Get cheap.

Bmxenbrett

a properly exercised set shouldn't need one of these chargers. I have lawnmower batteries in my set and only exercise it every 4-6 months. I guess if you have a pair of $200 optimum batteries then a $40 solar charger is cheap insurance on not ending up with a destroyed battery. for me car batteries aren't even worth it. I have $50 into both batteries but I also have many deep cycle batteries laying around that are known good.

Triple Jim

I believe you can get by without a charge controller on that low of a wattage 24 solar panel. 10 watts 24 volts should work great without it.....think of your vehicle..it puts a constant 13 to 15 volts on your 12 volt battery without ever "switching off" the current.
The vehicle charging system has a voltage limit, as you said, somewhere in the 14 volt range for a 12v battery, and the charge current will taper down near zero as the battery reaches full charge. Solar panels don't have that voltage limit, and a panel designed for good efficiency at 14v could easily climb to 18 or 20 when the battery is fully charged. You're right that at less than 1/2 amp, it's not going to boil the water out very quickly, but if it were mine, I'd still use a charge controller.

Last edited:

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
a properly exercised set shouldn't need one of these chargers. I have lawnmower batteries in my set and only exercise it every 4-6 months. I guess if you have a pair of $200 optimum batteries then a $40 solar charger is cheap insurance on not ending up with a destroyed battery. for me car batteries aren't even worth it. I have $50 into both batteries but I also have many deep cycle batteries laying around that are known good.
Whatever works for you.
Any battery sitting for that long will lose some charge and will suffer from some degree of sulfation.
That’s guaranteed

I will not risk my battery’s not being ready when I need them the most.
Have Solargizers on everything not close to power.
Battery Tenders on rest.

I do have red top Optimas in all my civilian vehicles and equipment.
Hawkers in all my MVs (except NF2D, have Red Tops)
I spend the $$ to make sure they are all properly maintained.

Like I said, you get what you pay for.

Buy something you “think” will work, only to find out later it fried/degraded the battery.
The extra $$ spent on a Solargizer/Battery Tender will save time and money in the long run.
Especially if, the save money set, made you have to buy a new battery.

Me......I’ll stick with what I know for a fact works.