• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

solargizer quantity on deuce

yorkgulch2

I noticed in previous posts that people are putting more than one solargizer on their deuce's and 5 tons. I installed one but would like to install a second one to up the input as my batteries need the most help in the winter when we have the least sunlight These are the ones from Ted's Trucks.
1- Does it hurt the pulse unit if you install more than one?
2- If you install a second one should the both be wired across both batteries (24volt)?
Or should you wire one solargizer to each battery (12 volts)?

acetomatoco

I use one with great success on all my 24volt trucks.. You have to remember that these are maintainers and will not charge flat batteries, nor will they fix bad batteries.. Their main purpose is to keep good batteries in condition to work..

Michael

I would put one on each battery. They put out some kind of pulsed wave and I don't see how you would ever get them to work together to put both across both batteries. I don't think it would help much to add a second one though. I would add a little battery maintainer that runs on house current if the truck isn't getting enough sun.

They have an above average web site that might answer your question.

Michael

To make myself clear, I would add the house current maintainer to the Solargizers and run both if you are not getting enough sun for the Solargizers to keep the batteries up by itself.

yorkgulch2

I just got new batteries (walmart) and the solargizers at the same time. Hopefully with the solargizer they will last longer.I guess I will stick with one across the 2 batteries for now and monitor the voltage every couple of days. I am off the grid so really don't want to run a maintainer tied to the house system. If you look closely at the pic on the left you see my 1850 watt 24v house system I can always hook up if I need a fast charge.

m139h2otruck

We installed a solargizer on the water truck because it does set around between jobs and the first thing to always go are the batteries. Ours has a little LED on the top of the pulse box that blinks when the unit is working. I have noticed that even under a very cloudy sky, that the little light blinks, just slower than under bright sunlight. Being a gasser we can get away with less of a battery load than the multies, but the thing always starts and seems to have plenty of reserve.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I have them on my Deuce CUCV and M52 all of them have the red LED and if it is not blinking under sun light then it is most likey not working. I have not seen one without an LED

jatonka

I have the 24 volt type with the LED indicator. I have one on my M543A2 wrecker and one on one of my M51A2 dump trucks, they both sit a lot and they both have 6TL batterries that were new since I bought the trucks. I let both trucks months at a time and they ALWAYS crank over and start on their own power. Before the solargizer on the wrecker it never started. John Tennis

gene

when you are hooking up the solargizers where are you mounting the photopanel and are you running a larger guage splice to the battery to reduce resistence?

yorkgulch2

I temporarily mounted min on the roof of the cab. There was plenty of wire in the kit already. In fact way more than I need. I did not check the gauge of the wire probably 16-18. I will check line loss charts but dont think they put out enough juice to worry about any loss

I just put mine loose on the roof while the truck is sitting and take it down after starting. I wrap in a shop rag and store in the battery compartment while driving. I go out occasionally and clean the surface of dust and an occasional bird strike. :roll:
I have brand new batteries but the truck sits quite a bit. After installing the solorgizer I noticed a definite "crispness" in the starter sound - the solargizer definitely works.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Solarizer on the duece

Here is a shot of the homemade Solarizer mount on my duece. The one on the CUCV is just in front of the passenger side of the windscreen and just behind the back end of the hood. The M52 has it glued to the hardtop on the pasenger side

Attachments

yorkgulch2

RE: Solarizer on the duece

Nice! Maybe you could make it track the sun with that mount! I checked the led before I left for work about 7 this morning. No sun on it and the led was not on. My voltage has dropped to 25.49 from 25.75 in 4 days I don't think it is working.

jasonjc

I don't think they are made to charge, as much as they are to remove/keep the build up off the plates.

gene

yea, checked with solargizer company yest and the 24 volt system only pulses and cleans plates. the 12 volt units pulse and charge. gonna go with 2 12 volt chargers on my deuce. Nice mount chaplain sir. thinking of doing the same type of setup.

gene

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial

I had to think of something to get the sun and stay out of the way especially if I wanted to fold down the windscreen. It also serves as an additional place to secure MRE pouches by wedging them between it and the stack for heating while driving.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks