• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Solargizer

boomer

Those are a nice accessory to have. FYI- if ted trucks is one in the same, from Al. , be cautious! I have never dealt with him, but know good people who have. Because of the stories I have heard, I won't (deal with him).
I only mention this, to be aware. As with anything.

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought eight of the 24 volt units from Ted's, all were in good shape and have been running great, it's been over a year since I got mine so, I don't know if he still has them, but they were good folks to work with.
James

CycleJay

Hello Spook,

Thank you for the information, I had no idea the thread is that old.
But I knew they were out there, and I needed more information.
Because it would be very handy in my M1009 these days.

Thank you, have a good day,

CJ

Spook556

Hey - I just went back and re-read my post; it sounds a lot colder and more snarky than I meant it to be - sorry about that. Obviously there was interest in the subject - and I hope you find what you need.

Spook

army70deuce

Ok I have a question. I have seen the PulseTech item with and without an actual solar panel. I'm assuming that the one without just keeps the battery in good running condition and uses the battery's power to stop the buildup inside the battery. The one with the solar panel I believe also charges the battery. The difference is $140 with the solar panel and $50 without. Link listed below of what is offered as surplus.

PulseTech 24-Volt Pulse Solar Charger | Uncle Sam's Retail Outlet

rizzo

I want to purchase 4 solargizers. What do you guys think of these? I don't see the name "Pulsetech" anywhere so I am not sure if these are the right ones.

thanks in advance

aboonski

I made the mistake of not covering up the solar panel on one of my solargizers while I had the batteries removed for one reason or the other. I think it destroyed the little box with the LED light in it - basically that's the brain of the unit. Would I be right in assuming I damaged the solargizer by doing what I did and if so are there replacement parts for these things? I also had one on my MEP002A genset which I think went bad but don't know how to properly test it. Thanks for any info about this guys.

Darwin T

Wow... I need to snag one of these.... they keep the batteries charged and de-sulphate the plates???
it pretty much just makes up for self discharge or a very slow power drain. if your battery is low it will not help. i had one on a low battery for a month and the this was still low. however the one on my M1028 i can go out after a month of sitting and it fires right up. it is mounted on the hood infront of the passenger side wiper.

Attachments

SteveKuhn

"...it is mounted on the hood..." Darwin T

I've been keeping mine inside the passenger window leaning against the latch. It'll be tarped for the winter so that won't work.

I take it from this post that the solar panel is generally weatherproof, correct?

Darwin T

"...it is mounted on the hood..." Darwin T

I've been keeping mine inside the passenger window leaning against the latch. It'll be tarped for the winter so that won't work.

I take it from this post that the solar panel is generally weatherproof, correct?
yes it is mounted on the hood. it came that way when i bought the truck. i live 30 minutes from the gulf of mexico. if we get 3 inches of snow everything shuts down :doh: (schools, county and city and stores that don't sell emergency supplies) :shock: and i will probable be in one of my deuces to get to work. :driver:

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
With many unanswered questions about what a Solargizer really puts out, I ran some tests. I used a smallish 15AH 24v battery to test with (needing to set up close to power for the O'scope). (used Concorde aircraft battery, RG-24-15).

The Solargizer is model 735X150 IS24L, an Ebay purchase.

With full winter sun, the Solargizer was pulsing every 20 microseconds with a 1 microsecond pulse-width pulse, and peak to peak voltage of about 1 volt. The pulse was actually about 0.8 v above battery voltage, and the tail of the pulse depressed the battery voltage by 0.2 volts. Looks like the Solargizer draws current from the battery for roughly 1/5 of the cycle, adding energy from the pulse for 4/5 of the cycle.

Note the ratio of pulse width to pulse rate, 1/20 th of the cycle. So it actually charges about 1/20th of the time it's hooked up.

So, how much does it charge? In order to measure the current, I put a resistor decade box in series and used the 'scope to measure the voltage across the resistance. 50 Ohms yielded 5 v P-P. Current is voltage divided by resistance, about 0.1 amp, and Watts calculate as 0.1W.

Remembering that these small charges are only being applied 1/20 of the time!

This test certainly shows why there is no claim for a Solargizer actually charging a battery!!! But, there's no doubt those pulses do the job they are intended to do, as many users will testify.

Another question had been asked: will the solargizer hurt itself with no battery attached: No, with no battery attached the Solargizer is not powered.

I was curious about using a 24 v Solargizer on a 12 v battery. Yes, works fine. Pulse rate and P-P voltage of the pulses changes but the pulses are there.

Another test: Would the Solargizer put noticable charge into a small battery? I used a little 12v gell cell rated at a few AH. Yes, the Solargizer is able to actually raise the voltage on this battery. Starting at about 12.5 volts, in an hour the float voltage was up to 13.2, then the sun dropped too much to continue the test. If a Solargizer were hooked to a small battery and left full time, it might conceivably over charge it.

There was nothing scientific about this test and the Solargizer people might have better info, but this is more than I knew before.

Bob WB4ETT

rrrr

I just installed mine. Couldn't even see if the little LED was working. I guess you won't if your batteries are fully charged ?

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just installed mine. Couldn't even see if the little LED was working. I guess you won't if your batteries are fully charged ?
The Solargizer should work and light the LED with a fully charged battery if in good sunlight. The only conditions I've observed that keep the LED from lighting are poor sun, or dead batteries (the Solargizer requires battery voltage to work). (or a bad connection somewhere...)

BTW, the LED will appear to be on continuously in full sun (fast pulses), and blinks more slowly as light diminishes.

Bob WB4ETT

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks