• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sold a 1031, titling issues with new buyer, need advise.

Skinny

I registered my M1031 with nothing more than a hand written bill of sale in Maine due to the age of the vehicle. Of course in Maine, you cannot get a vehicle titled older than 1995 so I would only be able to sell it to someone in a state that accepted the official "Maine older than 95' certified non-title paper but I still have a stamp in my lower corner making me official to states that will accept me as a title" title.

You may want to find a state like Florida that will title anything including baby strollers, illegal black market Nissan Skylines, and anything else with wheels to have a title company take care of the paperwork, then send you a title with your name on it. May cost money, need to investigate the legality, but all in all probably cheaper than shipping a truck 1300 miles plus the $700 fee.

Either way, one more vote for you clearly stating in your ebay ad what paperwork came with the vehicle.

*** edited ***

Last edited by a moderator:

Ruppster

Member of questionable origins
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Either way, one more vote for you clearly stating in your ebay ad what paperwork came with the vehicle.
The problem is had he just stated "no title" and left it at that I would agree. But he didn't. Did you read the 2 sentences he wrote after the "no title" part?

"The truck is not currently titled or registered. It will come with the documents i got when i bought it from the Government so you can take it to the DMV in your state to register it in your name. I have sold 3 trucks and 2 trailers to friends this way and there are no hang ups or surprises. "

While I'm no lawyer I've been around old cars long enough to understand the implied meaning of the rest of his statement. It implies "while I don't have a title I will give you the forms I got from the government that you can take to DMV to get one as this has worked for others". Should have just said "no title, bill of sale only".

But the buyer is not 100% innocent either as he should have checked on the issue in his state also. In this case I would say it's a 50-50 split.

Skinny

I understand but the buyer should have done his homework first. If I was to purchase this vehicle, I would have no issue getting it registered due to my local laws. The buyer should have known what he would have needed regarding paperwork. I see this everytime I go to the DMV and someone is getting a license. It clearly states the DMV requires a passport or equivalent federal document. Then the person gets all pissy and yells at the clerk, then runs out crying. Boo hoo...it says on the easily accessible DMV website what documents are required, period.

I feel bad for the buyer not being able to register his new toy, I would be pissed in that sitation. I sold an older truck to someone down south and clearly stated it would only come with a bill of sale as Maine does not provide a title for that old of a vehicle. Guess what happened:whistle:

I can see both sides but tend more to the buyer beware side. However if the buyer is not satisfied, then a refund is in order. And the truck needs to be returned to the point of sale for the funds to be handed back (same as it was when they were handed over) and that is in my opinion on the buyer.

So if he shows up with the truck and wants a refund - give it to him. And as a gesture of goodwill do not charge him for 'x' days of truck use and mileage depreciation (unless it is damaged). You both eat a certain ammount of cost, you in reduced resale and ebay hassles etc him in airfare etc.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
From the Colorado Department of Revenue, Division of Motor Vehicles.

Department of Revenue - Division of Motor Vehicles:Frequently Asked Questions

Bonding Requirements

Q.If I purchase a vehicle without a title, what do I need to do to obtain a title in my name?

http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellit...goBlobs&blobwhere=1251600297241&ssbinary=true

READ THIS!!! THIS IS THE ANSWER TO YOUR PROBLEM! This will not cost much. In Texas. the cost is $400 due to the money grubbing DMV not accepting valuations less than $4000 which means you have to pay tax on that amount for a bonded title, even if the truck is crap.

86m1028

In New Jersey what you did is called jumping title which is illegal ,having said that you stated your conditions in your ebay add so he is aware so your not on the hook for the whole cleanup!

What your saying is true BUT GL does it on every truck they sell with an sf-97

Cucvnut

Hundy sells trucks like that all the time just GL paperwork and fs97, Its not Jeff's fault its legal to sell trucks like this in CA, sorry that CO is poopy.

Skinny

I can see both sides but tend more to the buyer beware side. However if the buyer is not satisfied, then a refund is in order. And the truck needs to be returned to the point of sale for the funds to be handed back (same as it was when they were handed over) and that is in my opinion on the buyer.

So if he shows up with the truck and wants a refund - give it to him. And as a gesture of goodwill do not charge him for 'x' days of truck use and mileage depreciation (unless it is damaged). You both eat a certain ammount of cost, you in reduced resale and ebay hassles etc him in airfare etc.

Very fair deal if he no longer wants the truck...

Dodge man

You may want to find a state like Florida that will title anything including baby strollers, illegal black market Nissan Skylines, and anything else with wheels to have a title company take care of the paperwork, then send you a title with your name on it.

*** edited ***
That might have worked at one time in Florida but it certainly won't now! At least when dealing with the DMV. I haven't used one of the title companies so I can't say about them. BUT Florida is like Colorado; you MUST have a title in your name to register it here, PERIOD. And it must be a state issued title and not a bill of sale. Florida will also require that the vehicle be located in this state and that it's SN be checked by the police or DMV. And they will check it thoroughly and run a "wanted vehicle" check on it. Florida is the destination of choice for a lot of retirees, transisants and con artists and it's amazing how many people bring their cars to this state and never register them (Required to be registered within 30 days). Then they try to sell them with their out of state title and in many cases, a title that is in a previous owner's name or sometimes just a handwritten bill of sale. I've been dealing with this a LOT lately and I've had to turn down several nice vehicles due to title problems.

I hate to say it but in THIS case, I think the buyer was at fault. He SHOULD have checked with his DMV before bidding on the vehicle and he SHOULD have made sure that it had the correct and necessary paperwork before paying for it or picking it up and driving it to Colorado. In fact, I'd like to know he managed drive a vehicle across country with NO valid registration of any sort and no tag! The seller is also partially to blame since he said that he had sold vehicles this way before and the buyers didn't have any trouble registering them. While that MIGHT be true, it doesn't work that way in every state so the buyer was mislead.

Some states such as Florida are getting VERY tough on registrations, not only for vehicles from out of state but also vehicles that have had serial number plates moved or changed (or bodies replaced such as on old Jeeps and MVS) and for vehicles that have passed through a series of owners without being registered by them (aka "open" titles). Now if there are ANY issues at all regarding the SN, location, title, etc on any vehicle that I'm considering purchasing I call DMV and talk to them BEFORE I hand over ANY money, even a "refundable" deposit. In addition, I usually make the seller go with me to the DMV and I don't pay him until after the title is transfered.

To top it off, Florida also now charges a fat fee for every vehicle the first time that it's registed in Florida, weather it's new or an older out of state vehicle. They also charge another fat fee for issuing vehicle tags for the first time so that's a double hit and the fees can easily run up to over $1000! Therefore I look very hard for vehicles that are already located in Florida AND that have a Florida registration and a Florida tag!

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would tell him to bring the truck back and you'll give him his money back. If he isn't willing to do that then offer him $800 or so (you were going to spend $700 or so to get a title). While both sides might have screwed up a little, it looks like the buyer bears most of the responsibility.

You can forget GL giving you a sf97 in the buyer's name.

Cucvnut

so why would he cough up more money to make a the buyer happy if the buyer still cant register it in CO? I dont see jeff at any fault

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
so why would he cough up more money to make a the buyer happy if the buyer still cant register it in CO? I dont see jeff at any fault
I guess what I'm thinking is he's going to be out $700 anyway if he gets it registered. It's sort of a "good will" offering to try and make the other party happy. He may or may not be responsible depending on CA law.

I know when I sell something, even though I'm in the right, I still hate for the other party to go away mad. I know you can't please some people no matter what but I'd still try and work with them if I could.

Hopefully the buyer will read this thread and will give him different perspective in the matter.

Looks like a good lesson learned on both sides.

cliffyp

READ THIS!!! THIS IS THE ANSWER TO YOUR PROBLEM! This will not cost much. In Texas. the cost is $400 due to the money grubbing DMV not accepting valuations less than $4000 which means you have to pay tax on that amount for a bonded title, even if the truck is crap.
I registered my 1028 less than a year ago in Texas. I payed $1,500 for the truck and when I went to register it, the girl behind the counter told me to write down $500 so I wouldn't have to pay as much. I'm not sure where this valuations under 4K not accepted comes from.

Ruppster

Member of questionable origins
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know when I sell something, even though I'm in the right, I still hate for the other party to go away mad. I know you can't please some people no matter what but I'd still try and work with them if I could.
And that's what it sounds like Shark is trying to do. It's nice to see that there are at least a few people left these days that are willing to put their integrity first at the cost of a few bucks instead of telling to buyer to flip off. If that doesn't deserve some positive rep points I don't know what does.

Shark, I sent some rep points your way for your effort. :) Hope you're able to work something out with the guy.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks