• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

solergizer hook up!

swyne

purchased a 24 volt Solargizer and was wondering where would be the best place to install this unit. To the terminals on the batts or to the terminal blocks on the fire wall. Just wondering if anybody had some pics to to look at too.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Military had them on the battery terminals, with the little transformer on the front inside wall of the battery box. Solar collector was usually mounted on the cab, between the windows and the hood. It's your truck, put them wherever you want!

Stalwart

I never found them to work very well, I tried one on my materials handler and it didn't do much. Perhaps I just had a bad one or I live too far north to work effectively.

swyne

Over the course of the summer I've been semi restoring a rust free M1028. Earlier this year I posted my pics of paint and materials used and being I purchased 2 new mil batts (Deka's) I hate to see them turn to crap. I don't drive the truck a whole lot and I did put in place a charger/maintainer like you see in ambulances and fire trucks, however I would have to leave it plugged in all the time. I do not have power out to the yard yet and when I do have to plug it in, its in front of the garage door. Hassle at times. So I thought after a good charge place this solargizer on there and it would be ok. My truck sat for weeks and the voltage was above 12.5. But anyway thought the solergizer would keep them from sulfating during the winter since I don't drive this during the winter months.

papercu

The instructions I've read said not to cut/spice the wires from the black box to the battery terminals, while you can cut/splice the wires from the black box to the solar panel (using the proper precautions).
My assumption has been that the wires you couldn't cut was needed to be that length for the pulse to work best. Wayne

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Chris, the M925 down in Mt Airy had two 24-volt solargizers installed at one time for their quad pack of batteries...I presume you'll be running with two batteries, which should be enough IMHO.

Swyne, I would remove the batteries from the truck and keep the on the maintainer in the garage or somewhere cool within reach of the extension cord.
Lead-acid batteries have less self discharge when cold, but need to be fully charged to keep from sulfating...

Don't know much about solargizers, but they do need a lot of time to do their job and the original versions don't charge or keep the batteries "topped off".

Scarecrow1

If it was me then I would remove the batteries and place them on a trickle charge in the garage or shop . Its the safest way for long term storage solutions .

swyne

Hey thanks guys! I will probably remove them and place on a maintainer for the winter . I do like to start the truck in winter just to let it run a while to keep things lubed up. Its just to nice to run in this salty road environment where I live. There is NOT a spot of rust anywhere on this truck (California truck) and I would hate to see it even start. All the Ziebart can still be seen clearly on the whole frame. My '06 Powerstroke has more rust on the frame than this '87 I have. I was surprised to see the Ziebart metal plate in the door jamb when the truck arrived. Being a west coast truck. Mabe the Military did that on all of them? It had no heater core too. But I've added one and an engine block heater.

bracebldr

The solargizer does keep batteries fully charged as well as preventing sulfating. The solar panel must be mounted with the best angle for sun exposure.You can splice wires between box and panel to shorten as well as you can lengthen up to ten feet with wire of same guage. No modification of wires between battery and box. Yes it must be hooked to battery.:-D:p:roll::idea:

Flyingvan911

On my deuce the wires from the black box to the battery were cut by the Army. I would have to splice in new wires to reconnect it. It sounds like I need to replace the whole system. I suppose it couldn't hurt to have all new stuff.

Last edited:

lavarok

On a cucv, I mount the solar panel on the hood. I use rubber grommets for the bolt holes and the smaller hole for the wire.

I also attach the battery side wires to the batteries and not the firewall terminal blocks. Not the best photo attached, but you'll get the idea where I like to mount them.

Attachments