• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

solid tires?

gene

Searched for this topic but found no previous threads. Is anyone aware of solid tires made for the deuce? I am less concerned with traction than I am with punture proof characteristics. All around mud chains should take care of traction.

As always, thanks.
Gene

kinetichotshot

Most tractor tire / commercial tire dealers have the capability of "Foam Filling" tires if you want it done professionally, but it is basically the same as adding expanding foam yourself. *CAUTION* Doing this adds A LOT of weight, so it will reduce your available load capacity...
Just my $0.02
Laterz,
Gator
>|--|~

gene

Thanks Gents. That gives me a starting point. Gonna check with the local shop and see what kind of weight addition we are talking about.

emr

There are a couple of types of fix a flat products that dont add weight, and some are for heavy equipment and some for road use, some are good for both, Your heavy truck tire store will tell u what they sell, some carry one deul purpose and some have a couple of types, dont just agree with the first guy u speak to. ask about the others available,there is a reason there are no solid tires out there in use on the road, more than one actually. Randy

JohnnyReb

Not too sure the truck would remain roadworthy. Tires have to be balanced and if a solid tire is unbalanced then it could sling apart. Might have a low maximum speed.
Think I would look into it some more before filling up the tires.

For instance, when you fill a tractor tire with water for weight.... don't want to go too fast on the highway.

Just my 2cents

gene

True to be sure about the ride. I intend on doing some substantial research before pulling the trigger on this. My truck only sees the black top very rarely. Most driving is very off road and at low rates of speed. the issue of balance will be critical.

Gene

comdiver

On forklifts, air tires give better traction than the filled ones and are less likely to get stuck. No way are you going to be able to air down. Check into the slime stuf that EMR talked about.

emr

Well said, about how dangerous it would be to have solid tires, U may only ocasionaly go on the street, but it would only take one time to realize just how bad that would be, With all the types of run flats and all the types of addatives to fix a flat on the road while driving, All the enginering to accomplish what a solid tire would do, if they worked at all it would already have been done....There are many reasons solid tires are only found on forklifts and the like,I run the same slime stuff in my forklift and my M38, it is the stuff that is inbetween the just high speed road stuff and the super thick big equipment stuff, it says it will imedietly clog a 1/4 inch hole immediatly. I suppose it workes, no flats on my lift in 5 years and im a carpenter contractor, and the M38 also has not had a flat, I have had slow leaks in other vehicles but not them, Randy

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
FreightTrain said:
Good God,can you imagine how Rough the ride would be?The only real protection from bumps are the tires!The springs don't give very much!
:!: AMEN!! FreightTrain, you took the words right out of my head!! :!:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thought I "MIGHT" Have SOLID TIRES, but......

Waaaaay back in March of 2010 Dianna and I got our first Deuce. She came out of a VFD and had served as a brush fire truck in a rural west Texas county where the land is covered in throne-bearing mesquite, thorned prickly-pear cactus and other things that love to puncture and deflate tires.

Every since we got the Deuce - 4 years, 8-1/2 months ago - we have NEVER had to add ANY air to ANY of the 11 tires ! ! ! I was honestly beginning to think that the VFD had foam-filled them all or something. In fact the very reason the VFD upgraded to an M35A3 was to have the CTIS onboard to counter any leaky air problems while fighting brush fires. The tires on our A2 have just NEVER LOST ANY AIR ! ... at least until recently.

Now the front right tire has a slow leak. It bleeds down from 50psi to about 42psi in the first 24-hours, and leaks even slower as the pressure drops. I'm finding no nails, screws or thorns in the tire itself, so I'm not sure what the root problem is at this point. Having searched the forums, this old thread seems to have an established subscribership that might help.

My basic question is:
Does GREEN SLIME work well in TUBED TIRES?

In the not too distant future we intend to replace all 11 tires, tubes, etc., but in the meantime I've considered just sliming 'em up instead of breaking the one leaker down for a tube patch.

Thoughts?

Thank you.

Last edited:

chigger

Many, many years ago I was at a tire shop that did work on tractors, forklifts, etc. They had a tire that was literally cut all the way from the tread to the bead. Inside was solid foam. The foam was a very dense rubber-like foam material. It definitely was not like the expanding foam insulation like you can get at Home Depot, but it is an expanding foam that cures inside a tire. I asked why the tire was cut like it was. They told me that this is the only way you can get the tire off of the rim when they have been filled with foam. They also told me that it is an incredible amount of work to cut. Most of the time, they just throw away the wheel along with the tire when it needs to be replaced.

BlakeInOK

Hey guys, this is my first post, but since I looked in to this a month ago I figured I'd chime in. I asked all the big name tire dealers around here (Edmond, OK) who they recommended for foam filling tires. They all recommended the same company so I contacted that company and told them I wanted some 395/85r20's foam filled. They actually told me no. They explained it would add "hundreds of pounds of weight", but that wasn't the real issue. They explained that foam filling tires doesn't allow the tire to disipate heat at road/highway speeds and would cause the tire to come apart. Also, as Chigger stated, once the tread is worn on the tires I would have to cut the tires off and it would be an absolute nightmare.

Just something to think about.