• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Solid vs. Zippered

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have read just under one million posts about deuce boots and many different opinions. Since these post are sometimes dated, I would like to know what the most popular boot choice is today. I am getting ready to follow "Step x Step" on my front axle and need to make a boot choice. I do not mind taking everything apart if is it worth it to put in a solid boot. Comments please!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I always use solid boots for just that reason, it forces me to tear the front end down and I can maintenance it from there. So far the silicone boots are holding up pretty nice. I did the front end of my M35A2C before the GA rally. Did one side a night after work . Did the right side in 95 minutes and the left in 75. That was with hand packing too!

Kohburn

i would consider keeping a zipper boot in the "emergency repair parts bin" but otherwise would use the solid silicone ones.

FormerNewMVGuy

I've done quite a few, front axles, and always go with one piece silicone boots, The silicone hold up way better than the old style rubber does. And while you got it apart you can do the seals and repack the bearings, Of course this is what recovery aready said, but it is the way to go.

littlebob

I have to try the silicone, The regular one piece ones I got from OD Iron were put on about 3yrs ago and I've never left the hood with them. They look worse than the 15yr old ones I took off.

jasonjc

I have some 1 piece one's that are 3-4 years old and look fine I even tryed to poke my finger thought them and they held. These are on 2 trucks.

chemicaljohn

I would go with solid. I just put a zippered boot on the right side in Sept. and noticed the inner edge of the boot came off the axle last month. I ended up pulling everything apart to make it easier, the boot wouldn't fold inside out anymore to put on the inner clamp. After turning the knuckle by hand with the boot attached, I found that the starter end of the zipper was getting wedged between the axle and knuckle when turning, and pushing the boot out of the groove, so I cut that off after installing the clamp for like the 5th time. This zipper was much wider and thicker than the old, and I think that caused it. Like everyone is saying, it gives a reason to tear something apart that probably needs attention anyway.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Interesting point chemical john. I've ran across the boots with fine tooth zippers and coarse. The fine ones work much better. I've also found that the zipper boots with the chrome rivet won't last. I have a pair of the fine zipper boots on my M108 and they have held up fine for years. They were current surplus, not newstars.