• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Solved: How to decouple pump from front winch on M936A2 wrecker?

Mario

I'm trying to remove the front winch on my M936A2.
How do I separate the pump from the winch?
There are 2 sets of bolts. One from the pump to the coupler and 2nd from the coupler to the winch. I've removed both and I can spin each part but can't separate them.
What am I missing?
1629042757982.png

TM 9-2320-272-23-4 says to remove it with the motor but I don't have flared plugs so I can't stop hydraulic fluid from continuously draining from disconnected lines.

Mario

On A1s per TM 9-2320-272-34P-2 , there is a sleeve and pin on the coupler part, but on A2s the coupler is solid and if there is a pin, I don't know how to get to it from the assembly I'm looking at.
1629043002035.png

charlesmann

Might just be corroded at the sleeve. If you can spray some penetrating oil on the sleeve and motor output or winch input shaft, let it sit for a couple hrs, you might be able to work it off.

Maybe try prying on the adapter at the winch side, using a 6” pry bar.

Mario

Might just be corroded at the sleeve. If you can spray some penetrating oil on the sleeve and motor output or winch input shaft, let it sit for a couple hrs, you might be able to work it off.

Maybe try prying on the adapter at the winch side, using a 6” pry bar.
As long as someone with actual experience can confirm that this will come apart, I'll get that bitch apart.

I just don't want to wedge screwdrivers and prybars and 'break' it apart, only to find out that I was supposed to remove some cover and push on a pin to release something or other.

Mario

Good deal.
Out of curiosity, are fixn to tear the winch down and replace the leaking seals?
Yes sir.
The left one (non-powered) is leaking like a sif.
1629059504251.png

The right one holds liquid well.
How do I know? I got sprayed all over when I removed a plug thinking that the left and right were connected thru the drum or something. ;-)

Also, the main reason for teardown is to free the stuck lever for the free spool. Putting diesel, letting it sit, and running it didn't free it.
Here is a crappy picture looking at the lever shaft, thru the fill hole.
1629059657641.png

charlesmann

Kinda what mine looks like. Same me, non powered side even leaks lucas oil stabe out and that stuff is like molasses.
The only thing that bothers me is, no clear tear down or reassemble instructions in the winch tm or the tck tm. The winch tm says to refer to the tck tm, which doesnt say the how toos. Unless i missed it.

Mario

Kinda what mine looks like. Same me, non powered side even leaks lucas oil stabe out and that stuff is like molasses.
The only thing that bothers me is, no clear tear down or reassemble instructions in the winch tm or the tck tm. The winch tm says to refer to the tck tm, which doesnt say the how toos. Unless i missed it.
I'll let you know what it takes to tear it apart when I do it. Hope to work on it 2nd part of this upcoming week.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks