• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Some advice for front of truck

jmarch58

So I'm building a camper on the back an m923 and need some advice on what to use on the front it is the sleeping loft area and after framing it all I realized how cool it would be to have some sort of window I was thinking about just covering it in plexiglass or getting two skylights that open any thoughts would be much appreciated uploadfromtaptalk1429215980607.jpguploadfromtaptalk1429216011405.jpguploadfromtaptalk1429216032190.jpg

dmetalmiki

If I was to build over the cab, I would prefer a flat front, windowless or otherwise. For both looks and practicality. After all if you have a half way decent overhang at the rear, you would have at least 15 feet of very usable room. Just my 1/2 penne'th

Attachments

jmarch58

I was thinking of making a sort of skylight door to get out of the truck through the loft maybe even an emergency exit sort of thing

Ray70

A couple things I would consider before making your decision:
Privacy, if its a sleeping bunk, make sure you have a comfortable level of privacy.
Security, make sure it can't be easily opened by "unauthorized" personnel from the outside.
Safety, if its glass, make sure you use tempered glass. Regular window glass will be very dangerous if it gets broken!
If you plan to use it as an emergency exit make sure it will open far enough, easily. I don't think modern skylights will open more than a 6 inches or so without breaking off the arms that lift it first.
Maybe something like a tinted sunroof (manual model) from a car, the aftermarket type that just unlatches and pops up would work, as long as it can be completely removed from its frame for use as an emergency exit.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just going on old memories (they may be rusty), per DOT regulations I believe any forward facing windows must be tempered glass. YMMV

Another Ahab

Safety, if its glass, make sure you use tempered glass. Regular window glass will be very dangerous if it gets broken!
If you plan to use it as an emergency exit make sure it will open far enough, easily. I don't think modern skylights will open more than a 6 inches or so without breaking off the arms that lift it first.
Just going on old memories (they may be rusty), per DOT regulations I believe any forward facing windows must be tempered glass. YMMV
It's mostly a good idea always to go tempered (or at least laminated), anywhere you have glass with a risk of impact.

Broken glass (untempered) is just a real nasty product for fleshy kinds of beings (like us).

glass.jpg

Last edited:

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Camper Windows

Built this by hand in the 80's and used 1/4 inch plexi-glass in a wood frame to get the aircraft effect when you were standing in the back.

camper 003.jpg

The slant of the glass kept it from taking any serious rocks so that application was a little different than yours but the plexi held up for over 17 years.

I built a second one with more of a Kenworth, aerodyne look of the day so the glass is angled back and sloped slightly. It still sits at the farm in good condition after 27 years. The plexi-glass we used worked well and was easy to shape for the final fit.

It does scratch up over time but the new plastic polishes that are on the market these days are not like the 80's.

Camper building is fun!

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks