• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Some dumb questions

sammy87

I'm getting ready to look for a CUCV but after looking here and google I found there are two or more pickup versions. I'm mainly looking for the M1008 style but seen the M1028 was a pickup too. I searched google and came up with a Wiki topic read it and it didnt help much and I dont tend to trust all of what Wiki says. Is there a thread I can search for and figure out what the difference is if im gonna buy one it might as well be the heaviest I tend to over work things. And does anyone know off the top of their head the Hp and tourque ratings? Wiki gave a low 240or 250 ftlbs rating and 155hp rating I could deal with low hp but tourque should seem higher to me.

Thanks dumb new kid

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can also download TM 9-2320-289-10 which is the operator manual. It answers all of your questions and more.

K9Vic

vehicle specs page
Steel Soldiers :: Military Vehicles Supersite
found in Resources tab under steel soldiers banner at the top
So why does only the M1028A1 show years produced 1984-1987, but the M10028 and M1008 show 1984-1986. Even though I have both a 1987 M1008 and M1028 in driveway (VIN year code: H), should someone not correct this inaccuracy and the Wiki article? If there are 1987 model year CUCVs trucks, then it should be 1984-1987 as the M1028A1 shows.

sammy87

Another thing I didnt see in the resources. Do all CUCV pickups have 4.56 gears? What are the most common big failures? like Injectionpump,crank failure, injectors. i see glow plugs mentioned in the threads. just wanna drive one around save some cash to make it better like 12valve better. too bad a duramax would be too big of chore for me to throw in cause i would try my damdest to have one in it

Last edited:

91W350

They all have 4.56 except the M1009 or Blazer, those are 3.08. A 12 valve would be awesome in a CUCV and you can probably find the proper adapter to run the original transmission. Glow plug issues are probably the most common, followed closely by fuel issues. They are bad about leaking down from several sources. I think block and crank failures can be traced back to too much rpm. The main bearing webbing cracks and when it gets loose enough, you can not keep main bearings in the engine. What makes the truck so beautiful is the smooth economical diesel with a gear ratio low enough to get a lot of work done, unfortunately, that is part of the downfall for many, due to continuous high rpm running. 6.2 diesels in 1/2 ton applications and overdrive transmissions frequently made 300,000 miles with few problems. 6.2 diesels in low geared towing trucks were lucky to see 100,000 miles, normally blowing oil and seals. We know they will run a long time at 1800 to 2200, the range they were designed to run. How much rpm over that they can stand and how long they will last depends upon who you talk to.

My M1008 is low mileage, around 32,000 now, it normally does not use or leak oil. Run it hard for a few hours though and it will be dripping when you stop and will use a quart in less than 1,000 miles. We leaned on it pretty hard trying to make a scheduled appointment in Jefferson City for my M1009. We tried to sneak in between snow storms and the GL rep's doctor's appointment. I left town early enough, but left my paperwork at home and had to return for it. We drove 60-65 for seven hours and she was puking oil when we got there. 60 mph with a 32" tire is roughly 3,000 rpm.

My 2003 Cummins would rin over 3,000... 3,300 I think... my old 93 12 valve was governed at 2450... which would make a M1008 a less than 50 mph truck on the governor, with the stock transmission. Stepping up to a 36" tire would be a 56 mph truck in this application. Glen

sammy87

I like the th400 behind them but putting a cummins in i'll have a 700R4 beefed up alot. The over drive will be nice. The three speeds dont really do it for me anymore towed trailers 100 miles in a dodge crewcab m880 with a 440 and 727 it needs an over drive to compete on the interstate. Also needs a partime tcase to keep up but that beside the point.

thanks for the info

greg6459

Finding a bread or potato chip truck with a 4BT or 6BT and overdrive is the way to go...

That is true...Some of the 4BT/6BT variants came with a Turbo 400...
So there are some definite possibilities out there if a person were to do their homework...

sammy87

I was kinda thinking a 96 or 97 12valve I want the P7100 injecton pump and I want the most HP and tourque I can get off the bat then upgrade injectors and fuel. Im pretty sure 92 and prev were non intercooled. 93 was the first year for the intercooler just not sure if the pre 96-97 have the same injection pump or not. the only over drive tranny I could think of that would be in a bread truck with OD would be a 700R4 or allison automatic. I'm a GM junkie any way. I dont think a 4bt would be an option might as well put a 6bt in it. And if need be I can always put a 205 transfer case behind the 700R4 for added strength. This combination wont be light but it aught to be strong. now since i made these plans guess I aught to figure out if I want a 1008 or 1028 that limited slip in the front of the 1028 sound like it could suck. comming from an offroad back ground the locker makes steering a pain in the but up front lol. its a dam if you do and dam if you dont kinda situation to me. Another dumb question since the 1028 is suposed to have a higher payload then the 1008. Does the 1028 have a stronger spring pack in the rear i read about the brak thing in the rear that limits but what if you upgraded a 1008 to a 1028 brake limiter.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks