• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Some GL questions

Dig

1. Do they have a title in hand?
2. Will they give me a paper plate to get home?
3. Will they let me move the truck and check it over good when I go for the inspection?
4. Am I nuts to plan on driving a truck home 400 miles?
If there is a better topic to put this in please tell me.
Thanks

Chief_919

1. No- you will have to apply for an SF-97 after you pick it up, pay extra money, and wait 3-12 weeks. Then hope your local DMV won't give you too much hassle using it to get a real title.

2. No, they don't.

3. In most places, no.

4. Most definitely. It is foolish, unsafe, and unwise to drive an unregistered vehicle you haven't had time to do an adequate inspection and preventive maintenance on down the highway.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
1 - heck no. They want $60 additional after you pick it up for the SF-97 that will allow you to get a title.
2 - they don't even give you a receipt at pickup. Bring your own
3 - some location may let you jump start but not move the truck. Others will not allow any work
4 - Maybe. Just be prepared with backup plans in case something goes south which it usually does. Do not drive it until a though inspection is done. If you are unfamiliar with the trucks, have someone haul it.

Last edited:

Dig

I hope this funnier than my post.
A guy takes his dog to the Vet., and tells him to cut Fido's tail off. The Vet asks why. The guy answers: "My mother-in-law is coming for a visit next week, and I want all chances that she might think we are happy to see her here eliminated.".

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We aren't trying to rain on your parade. Your questions are good. It is just that thoses of us that have been around a while know that GL is there to make money, not help us out. Your post just struck me funny. Sorry for the funny comment.

as you know with your M915, big trucks have big issues. And they can kill people. If you are prepared to do the inspection then driving it home is an option.

I bought a GSA suburban in Vegas, flew out and drove it home 1100 miles. I did have eyes on the ground, tools on hand and backup plans along the route.

Last edited:

Dig

I'm gonna buzz out and take a peek before I bid. On the 6x6 cargos can the front drive shaft be removed for highway travel?

Chief_919

I'm gonna buzz out and take a peek before I bid. On the 6x6 cargos can the front drive shaft be removed for highway travel?
You can, but no real point to it.

Since you have a 915, the far more sensible course of action would be to get a towbar and tow it back.

If you insist on driving it, either do a complete A service yourself or have someone do it. That means doing all the PMCS checks lusted in the -10 and -20 manuals.

tobyS

I don't know about Iowa, but Indiana will issue you a 96 hour plate if you have insurance, a vin number and a paid receipt...cost $10. I do not do the sf97, I have a police inspection, apply for a new vin number and have a second inspection, then apply for a title. 400mi is a long way in a truck doing 55 with MANY opportunities for something to go wrong. Michigan to Iowa also has lots of traffic. Truck it home on a flat bed. Personal inspection is great but you will likely not start it, hear it run or take it for a drive. If you wonder why persons who purchase them and resell have a markup on the price...it is because they are taking a risk...just as you will be bidding on one with many unknowns. PM me for information about disconnecting the drives if towing is an option. I got a site infraction for talking about it here.

jedawson1

I've recovered three trucks from GL so far; 923, 925 and 929. The shortest drive was 400 miles the longest 787miles. 400 miles is a long day at 55 or 60MPH (super singles).

I had a chase car each time to spot trouble and haul tools. I must say the time I spent inspecting the truck, topping off fluids add to the fuel cost of $1 or more per mile not counting the chase car, my next recovery will be sending a flatbed to pick it up for me.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks