• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Some history on the use of filtered motor oil in the Deuce???

TenTires

I just dumped a few gallons of UMO that my dad gave me into my tank (with about 10 gallons of diesel) yesterday for the first time and it ran great. I really dont see that much of a point of RE-filtering UMO. It was already filtered in on engine or another and its going to get filtered again in your fuel system before it hits the injectors. This is a tractor engine, not a powerstroke. Its not THAT sensitive. Just my 2cents.

reloader64

I will filter my UMO because my catch cans are dirty. Plus, I don't know what all is in my collection bucket. If I ever get my hydraulic pump working, I will report with pictures.

Scott

GoHot229

Where do you guys buy filter socks? I can't find any.
I did a search on ebay and in my search I typed in "5 micron sock filter" and sure enough it took me right to the listings. They are roughly $6 and some change, they have a metal ring afixed to the 'pour-in' side for liping on a comtainer, and that they were reseable, but recomended cleaning promptly after usage. Used motor oil is still abundant here where I live in the Carolinas and I believe I will configure a filter system and start reclaiming it regularly and store it in 55 gallon drums.

ohnuts

My shop goes through a lot of industrial gearboxes full of syntheti oil, kerosene, motor oil, even corn oil. There must be a range or weight and thickness that you have to meet for the trucks to run. Painters have a screen that they pour through that measures the thickness by the drain time for the paint. There has to be an easier test for octaine than the BTU it generates. I see we could use someone who knows biofuels.

ohnuts

Is five micro the answer? I have purchased a couple CD's on Biodiesel from ebay one list's used motor oil as a source. To many talk about plant source, better to use what we have in the petro group first. Starting out with used motor oil should remove the acids and reactive agents and just limit to filtering and thinning out. Does the M25a2 have tank heaters for the fuel? I've been a bit bore of late Ex submariner.

I like new tech skills and learning curve, this sounds like fun. Anybody know what those generaters with Hercules motors should sell for?

ohnuts

Had an old freind in the south that he used to work for tips at a gas station as a kid. One of his jobs was to keep five quarts of skimmed oil handy to sell. The owner kept 55 gallon drums that old oil went into and they skimmed the clean lighter oil off the top. Distilling without heat, old school is the best school. Bet this will be in the bio books.

Sumoman

I am collecting drums already.

Place two spouts, one at the bottom and another 6 inches off the bottom. The bottom drains the water and crap, the other the settled oil. If filtered prior to dumping in I would think it would settle the rest out which could be used to fire a waste oil heater.

I am still going to work on the wood gasification. It works, and there is fuel everywhere on the side of the road. This way all I have to do is decrease the amount of oil fuel to enough that it is lubing the engine and 55 gallons will last 10 time as long.

beck

WMO uestions and filtering suggestions

I have done some surfing looking for WMO oil usage in the 6.2 but have not found much. It sounds like their IP doesn't tolerate the thicker materials. I've read about a lot of broken shafts. Most of the information I have found is WVO related. Those guys are running a dual tank system. The WVO is heated. There is a problem durring switching tanks unless the fuel heater is after the switch. If the diesel is not heated the pump is cold. At switching to hot WVO the IP is still cold. The large chunk of steel (the IP) soaks all the heat from the WVO making it cold and thick again. The IP can't tolerate the now thick WVO and snaps the shaft.
I am about to start blending WMO in my diesel for my avitar truck. It has a Cummins 4bt in it. I have just recently finished it far enough to drive. The tank currently has some old diesel in it. I am going to run it through before adding any of the WMO/diesel blend. My research shows they will tolerate up to 20% WMO before they start to smoke. I wish it would handle the big % that the multifuel deuce does. The Cummins will smoke with any % of synthetic oil. I'm supprised the deuce doesn't.
I have filtered WMO though a 2 stage sock filter. My first is a 5 micron. The 2nd is a 1 micron. The IP and filter setup on the Cummins is much more sensitive than the deuce. There is a company in St. Louis called King Filtration. They sell the bags for filtering. I have there phone # at work if anyone wants it. I just bought 1 micron bags from them. I bought size 3. They are too small. I am constantly standing at the bag and pouring more oil in.
I have just filtered my first 14 gal. I will have the process figured out after a few more times. I'll post some photos of my simple setup. No pumps just gravity feed. You can easily see the filter rate difference between 5w30 and 15w40. If the oil is thinned with diesel or gas it filters faster, but there is more of it to filter and the containers need to be larger. I am going to stick with filtering uncut WMO.

Lonesome715

It sound like I nee to pay attention to what you are doing. I to want my Cummins, 6.2, and Powerstroke powered trucks running on a mixter of WEO and Deisel.

ohnuts

We have a lot of big bearings that get scrapped and motor shafts. Thinking of sinking a 55 gallon drum in the ground. Place a shaft in the drum that extands up and out four feet. Fill the drum with concrete and slip two large bearings down the shaft and sleave tha bearings togeather. Mount hooks on the sleeves to hold five gallon containers or about, rig it like a xmas tree. Spin the sleeve with a belted small motor to drive the sleeve into a high rate centrifuge. Put all that in a small shed to keep the kids from getting hurt and should work. Centrifuge beats gravity anyday. Should keep the cost of socks down.

JeremyB

I have a mixture of Used tranny fluid,UMO,Diesel and a little gas.I was wondering if I could run it through a remote oil filter and then a fule filter,and have good results? Would the fule be filterd good enough to run in my Multifule without adverse effects on my filters and IP?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks