• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Some issues: Decals/Stickers & Pass Though Grommet

beehumvee

Hi all friends,

Today have been my first road legal day, and the firts thing I have felt in the road is that my brain was jumping. Is there any way to equilibrate those runflat tyres?

Eventhough i enjoyed the ride.

I have received a first aid kit, but i do not know how to install it in the battery compartiment. I have the bracket ant the strap, but I do not know how does it fit, any pic will help a lot. Thank you.

I also ordered sone stickers from military stencils. In my humvee all markings are stickers, and that is what i thought i have ordered, but no. I have ordered stencils. Does any body knows where to adquire stickers like the originals? I am refering to 24v sling tie down, no step, tyre pressure.....and so on....

Last doubt is regarding the pass throuf gommet do not know how to install.

Thank you very much for your help.

Willie

I

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

DREDnot

Drive it a while and see if they even out. These trucks sat out in the elements for years and the tires have taken a "set" with regards to flat spots you are feeling.

DSCN8226.JPG

.DSCN8225.JPG

You have to have the correct plastic first aid kit to fit in that bracket.

Ive seen the stickers on ebay in the past.

As far as that grommet...I would put the metal frame over the rubber chingadera and then bolt it up to the spot.

Dock Rocker

What are the tires doing? They may just need balancing.

You may need to add some air pressure. 40lbs seems to be a good place for most.

Also they may need replacing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it's been sitting for a long time, especially in the desert, the tires will be out of round with flat spots. About the only thing you can do it replace them, or ignore it.
Centramatics do wonders for balance issues. My front tires are badly out of round, the rears are from a trailer I bought so they are round, but one had the tread on backwards compared to the rest of my tires, so I took it off and swapped it around. Made it badly out of balance. Put on a set of centramatics and now no more shaking from the rear of my truck.

Daves86

For the stickers and plates reference TM 9-2320-280-24p-2 figure 354 and the following pages with the part numbers. If you search on the part numbers (5th column) there are a lot of vendors. I kept looking till I found an "Equipment" site that had 90% of what I wanted and just ordered from them. Keep in mind things like the identification plates have different Part Numbers (PN 123429981 is for an M998A1 while 12343044 is for AN M1038A1). Good Luck with your search. And don't forget the classifieds on this site.

beehumvee

Tobash, Thanks for your help. I have never heard about centramatics, and a quick research seems to be the best option, just a little problem: the high price. they are not cheap, aren´t they. Will blanced first (25 bucks) and lets see. thank you

Drednot, thank you for your help. I did like 100 miles in the farm in land, and I didnt feel anything, but on the first miles in road... I have the correct plastic first aid kit , but the metal part that is on the strap seems to be welded, and I cant move it, so I can´t tie it up...

Dockrocker, than you for your help. what are the tyres doing? I do not know, I can tell what I fell: when the spped is being increased, I start jumping...
I am currently running at 20-25 psi, should I get 40 psi front and rear and lets see what happens?? I am going to balnce it and lets see.

Thanks for your help Coug, lets see what happens after balancing.

Daves86, thank you as weel for your help. I have had a look on the Tm and it is hard to understand, but I am trying. jus for curios, Could you please share with us that "equipment"site that had the 90%??

thanks to all!!

beehumvee

Could anybody explain me how to install the pass through gommet? Does anybody have a pic of one installed?

Thank you

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tobash, Thanks for your help. I have never heard about centramatics, and a quick research seems to be the best option, just a little problem: the high price. they are not cheap, aren´t they. Will blanced first (25 bucks) and lets see. thank you

Drednot, thank you for your help. I did like 100 miles in the farm in land, and I didnt feel anything, but on the first miles in road... I have the correct plastic first aid kit , but the metal part that is on the strap seems to be welded, and I cant move it, so I can´t tie it up...

Dockrocker, than you for your help. what are the tyres doing? I do not know, I can tell what I fell: when the spped is being increased, I start jumping...
I am currently running at 20-25 psi, should I get 40 psi front and rear and lets see what happens?? I am going to balnce it and lets see.

Thanks for your help Coug, lets see what happens after balancing.

Daves86, thank you as weel for your help. I have had a look on the Tm and it is hard to understand, but I am trying. jus for curios, Could you please share with us that "equipment"site that had the 90%??

thanks to all!!
the "jumping feeling" is most likely the tire being out of round. Sometimes my truck feels really bad at it if the front tires are at the same spots on rotation, the rest of the time it's more of a side to side thing as the flat spots hit the ground at different times.

None of the local tire stores to me that I talked to would balance the HMMWV tires with run flats.
Max weight on their machines is 150 lbs, the HMMWV tire with run flat is about 165.

Look at it this way for the centramatics. Balancing each tire is $25. So the entire truck is $100.
If you plan to keep the truck and drive it a lot, then you'll need new sets of tires after a while. One set of centramatics is cheaper than balancing 3 sets of tires, so you come out ahead with the third set of tires you install. Sometimes tires go back out of balance as they wear as well, so they might pay for themselves even sooner than that.

When you get them balanced let us know how it feels.

As for the pass through grommet, is it a specific grommet or just any standard pass through grommet? Most grommets you start one side and work it in as you go around, with the last part kind of folded in to the middle to get it to fit, or some people cut the grommet to install, then use a little RTV or something to help it stay where it is supposed to.

DREDnot

Could anybody explain me how to install the pass through gommet? Does anybody have a pic of one installed?

Thank you
Does that metal ring sit properly on top of the rubber part?
If not, they dont go together.
Which part, the rubber or the ring, match the size of that shape in the paint?

papakb

Here's a diagram on the grommet from the SINCGARS installation manual:

HMMWV grommeting.PNG

This drawing is from the TM 11-5820-890-20-29 installation manual available for download from Radionerds.

Last edited:

Crapgame

There is a seller in GA, Vinnie Nguyen, he has the SLING, TP, NO STEP etc decal kits made and can have your Army Registration Number, Bumper Number etc custom laser cut, too.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Heavy tires, won't fit machine ? Try old school bubble balancer. That's the one sitting in the back shop not being used. Grab it up and some weights.

Old truck, old machine, CAMO

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks