• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

some M931 questions

kustom

hello ,
I have done alot of reading on the site and looked at all the great work you guys have put into these MV's. Ok I got bit by the bug I would like to get my hands on one for towing my project cars or show truck. I was just wondering how far has anyone gone with one of these to say put them in a full blow custom automotive show? I have not see one in person as of yet. there is a guy who lives up the road with one looks to be restored. I understand the investment and the time that need to be put into one of these. I did see one listed in the forsale sectionthat looks to be well built. From what I gather these are good to for road use but your have to make sure all your ducks are in a row paper work wise. I have built alot of car nothing this large of a scale. Any input would be great so I have a real idea of what I am getting into . I did read the thread about what it costs to own one..

Thank you for any help or info..

Gunzy

I have an M923 that I take to car shows from time to time and it is as I got it except for the addition of a winch. People around here enjoy seeing it and ask all kinds of questions. The biggest mod I see done to M931s is to bob them and install an M105 bed on them. I can't say what else is being done to them. I have recently decided that I may pick up an M931/2/A1/A2 and just leave it stock for use to pull trailers.

kustom

is there a real reason that people are bobing them is it to avoid the extra cost on tires? I wanted it for towing and i had figured on redoing the insides for comfort for long trips. I see that they are 24 volt systems and drawbacks to going to 12 volts.

MtnSnow

Just be aware that your really looking at a 55 mph truck (the max speed that the tires are rated for). If needing an "OTR" type truck/tractor in a "MV" you should be looking at more like the 915/916 trucks.

Gunzy

Many bob them to get the GVW down as some states require class B CDL to drive them. I you are going to haul an actuall 5th wheel trailer with it you will likely need a class A CDL. I myself don't care for the bobbing as they ride even rougher than with 3 axles.

Csm Davis

hello ,
I have done alot of reading on the site and looked at all the great work you guys have put into these MV's. Ok I got bit by the bug I would like to get my hands on one for towing my project cars or show truck. I was just wondering how far has anyone gone with one of these to say put them in a full blow custom automotive show? I have not see one in person as of yet. there is a guy who lives up the road with one looks to be restored. I understand the investment and the time that need to be put into one of these. I did see one listed in the forsale sectionthat looks to be well built. From what I gather these are good to for road use but your have to make sure all your ducks are in a row paper work wise. I have built alot of car nothing this large of a scale. Any input would be great so I have a real idea of what I am getting into . I did read the thread about what it costs to own one..

Thank you for any help or info..
So are you wanting to know about doing a complete restoration? If so a good number for frame off completely redoing everything is $65,000.00 that is roughly what the military was spending to restore the M931 at Camp Shelby. I have one of them and it is really nice. This doesn't mean that all rebuilds are the same look for a low mileage but not less than 100 miles, probably means it flunked the road testing. Also if you can find one that is a RSMS rebuild they tend to be a more in depth rebuild, most depot rebuilds I have seen tend to be a body restoration not mechanical. There is at least one guy out there that painted and chromed one like a civilian truck, as I have seen pictures on here. I think the M818 is a good looking tractor and would be a cool truck to pull a car to the shows with. It is all up to you that is the greatest thing about car and truck collecting you can do whatever you want!
Go look and drive a few and figure out which model you want then come back and show us what you do to it.

dilligaf13

is there a real reason that people are bobing them is it to avoid the extra cost on tires? I wanted it for towing and i had figured on redoing the insides for comfort for long trips. I see that they are 24 volt systems and drawbacks to going to 12 volts.
If you're looking for comfort go with the M915/916 trucks they're much easier, on the driver, over long hauls than the M939 series trucks. They have more power, higher top end, more cab room, and better creature comforts. Just my 2cents

kustom

Thank you for the advice yes the M916 does look to be a better option. a little bit more upfront but more long haul friendly.. I will see if I can find one local to me to go look at and do some more reading about them .. TY for the replys

dfletcher12

I've restored mine and done a ton of custom fabrication to it. I've taken it to some local truck shows here in Las Vegas and won some trophies. I have more custom things being done to it all the time and I really enjoy it. Wish the ride was nicer and it had a/c, but those are all future projects.

kustom

Thanks for all the info.. i like the idea of having a custom work truck to haul some stuff. maybe make a bed for it so I can use it like a normal truck.. Still a ton of research to do. I'm just trying to figure something what the best route would be for hauling large precast concrete items. Thank again.

Bandit02

They're a great tractor because of the short well base but they're lame sauce for creature comfort. I use my truck for low bedding and it doesn't cut it as they're so low of the horsepower scale to be remotely competitive. If you like a slow, steady haul then get a A1/A2 with stock engines. I like to try and make the green lights so I'm sticking a CAT in mine :)

Good luck!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks