• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Some more questions from a rookie

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you found an XM880? Usually the very first run of a vehicle will get the X added as a prefix denoting experimantal. Other than that, probably few if any differences.

Elwenil

Hmmm, I'd be interested in seeing some pics or something of an XM880. Especially a data plate denoting it as such. I haven't heard of one but I'm sure they did exist at one time. What would that be guys, a '75 model? What was the first year of the 880 anyhow? Lol...

JTZX

If I'm not mistaken, I believe Tom is referring to the XM880's listed on the Alfa Heaven website. On there an XM880 is listed as having power steering (and are only civilian versions), while the regular M880's do not. That's the only difference I've noticed when it comes to Alfa Heaven's 880's, and that is also the only place I've ever seen them listed as "XM880". I also saw an "XM1028" listed on there once, but I don't remember what the differences were (if any) from the rest of the M1008's and M1028's. Right now on Alfa Heaven's site there are two yellow and one red XM880's and a blue XM885, all with power steering. Again, power steering is the only difference that seems to be listed on the "X" models.

tommi3520

JTZX said:
If I'm not mistaken, I believe Tom is referring to the XM880's listed on the Alfa Heaven website. On there an XM880 is listed as having power steering (and are only civilian versions), while the regular M880's do not. That's the only difference I've noticed when it comes to Alfa Heaven's 880's, and that is also the only place I've ever seen them listed as "XM880". I also saw an "XM1028" listed on there once, but I don't remember what the differences were (if any) from the rest of the M1008's and M1028's. Right now on Alfa Heaven's site there are two yellow and one red XM880's and a blue XM885, all with power steering. Again, power steering is the only difference that seems to be listed on the "X" models.
Yeah Im talking about the truck i saw on alfa heaven. But why is the yellow one $1000 cheaper than the army colored m880? do u guys know that?

JTZX

I believe the price difference is due to the fact that Tom (the owner of Alfa Heaven) takes the military versions of his trucks and gives them a fresh CARC paint job, while with the civilian versions he does not repaint them.

tommi3520

JTZX said:
I believe the price difference is due to the fact that Tom (the owner of Alfa Heaven) takes the military versions of his trucks and gives them a fresh CARC paint job, while with the civilian versions he does not repaint them.
yeah it crossed my mind, thx

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No Military designation of XM880, EVER.
The M880/M890 series were 1976 and 1977 model year trucks only. Which were produced from late 1975 through early 1978. The production through early 78 was due to the cab & chassis versions being sent from the Dodge truck plant to the companies that put the service and Ambulance bodies on.

From alpha heaven site
" XM conversion includes 36x12.5 Goodyear Humvee Tires,
Power steering, and New Floor Mat with sound deadening."

They are the most expensive M880's I have ever seen.
For that kinda money I'd sell my M880 or my M886 in a second!

Adamlee

M880's

Any of you M880 guys remember that MV article from around 1990-93 that described the basic details of the M880/890 series trucks?

I think the tone of the very brief article was something like, "low bidder trucks....puny 727 transmissions...civilian 3/4 ton axles...." you know, basically reminding any of us who bought a Dodge 880 that they were total POS's.

I loved the 77 880 I had, after swapping a PS unit on it and replacing the exhaust with duals. Worked great for my landscape business for a few years, until I needed bigger trucks.

Something about the body and hood contours of the 76-77 880's always reminded me of them looking so much like muscle-truck versions of roadrunners or GTX's....the hood and all....

....Just don't expect any sort of gas mileage, unless you do something about that NP203 and the BBD Carter 2bbl.....still, I think these are great trucks....classic 70's body styling.

Adam

tommi3520

Re: M880's

Adamlee said:
....Just don't expect any sort of gas mileage, unless you do something about that NP203 and the BBD Carter 2bbl.....

Adam
What do u suggest that i would do if i would buy a 77 m880 and what is the problem about the NP 205

tommi3520

Bob H said:
No Military designation of XM880, EVER.
The M880/M890 series were 1976 and 1977 model year trucks only. Which were produced from late 1975 through early 1978. The production through early 78 was due to the cab & chassis versions being sent from the Dodge truck plant to the companies that put the service and Ambulance bodies on.

From alpha heaven site
" XM conversion includes 36x12.5 Goodyear Humvee Tires,
Power steering, and New Floor Mat with sound deadening."

They are the most expensive M880's I have ever seen.
For that kinda money I'd sell my M880 or my M886 in a second!
Well, ive been looking for these trucks on the internet, on ebay and on www.veilingkijker.nl and so far i think these deals at alfa heaven are alright, bodys are good, inside of the car looks good and clean and the motor looks good, but i know everything can look good but dont work. But never the less i think these trucks on alfa heaven are the best of everything ive seen.

What prize would you wanna see on this truck: http://www.alfaheaven.com/Military Section/M880s/M880Pages/MD46.html and why?

sorry for all the questions. but thanks for answering them

Thomas

N1265

well its like this...

you can look at the photo gallery under " Nicks '77 " and see many pictures of my m880 restoration. as of this date I only have about $4,300. into the truck( including the price I paid for the truck when I started ) and the only thing I see of great signifance between my truck and Alfa-havens is :

1) their trucks have the engin compartment re-painted.

2) their trucks do not have the orginal type of tires.

3) my truck has the cargo cover and troop seats installed.

I am thinking for the extra $ 2,000. + you are better off doing a truck yourself.
( if you have the time and ability to do this kind of work )

However I must admit, That I thought awfull hard for about Two months about buying one of these trucks before I found one in good enough shape for me to justify doing the restoration myself...

There was one on e-bay a short time ago in great shape ( for starting a restoration ). The last time I looked at it it was going for just over $800. ( But I am sure it ended at more than that ) .

Adamlee

Toecutter

N1265 said:
Is that the " Toe Cutter " from Mad Max ?
yep....sure is! my alter-ego when I don't have enough coffee, or I have to stand in line at the DMV for 2 hours..... 8)

and just to clarify things tommi3520 -

Adamlee wrote:
....Just don't expect any sort of gas mileage, unless you do something about that NP203 and the BBD Carter 2bbl.....

Adam

What do u suggest that i would do if i would buy a 77 m880 and what is the problem about the NP 205....

the stock dodges have a New Process 203 fulltime chaindrive transfer case, iron case, that is a real mpg-hater. Also makes it more of a thought process if you feel like updating differentials to lockers or posis.

The New Process 205 is a gear-driven part-time unit that most people consider bulletproof and very desirable. Some of the newer M1008 chevys came with this transfer case, the 1028's and 1031's I believe; but most cucv's came with an aluminum-cased chain-drive part-time NP208.

get a dodge regardless of the NP 203....you can find ways around it in the long run.

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
tommi3520 said:
What prize would you wanna see on this truck: http://www.alfaheaven.com/Military Section/M880s/M880Pages/MD46.html and why?

Thomas
Picture one (upper Left)
Front Bumper twisted, those tires will rub and catch on front fenders
Next pic down
Rear Bumper twisted
Next pic over
Civilian taigate, gas cap loose?
No pintle hook

Interior pic
seat appears recovered, not correct pattern (could just be the pic)

Bottom Left pic
Apparently not a M880, but M882 maybe as there is a 24v battery tray on pass side
Bottom right pic shows bow and bend in taigate.

Looks like a $1500 truck with a quick clean & paint* & oversize tires worth $3500 tops
* not mil spec camo pattern (ref TB-43-0209)

but hey, like any other car dealer they are in business to make a profit.
It's your money to do as you see fit, just don't rush into it.

I have put lots of use and hard work on these trucks, I love the full time NP203,
a carb, intake, cam & small headers would do wonders for performance & mileage.

McGuyver

Those 12.50" wide bias ply humvee tires will likely wear quickly as well, seeing as he's running them on the stock 16.5"x6.75" wide wheels. The narrow width of the wheel will bow the tire tread up in the middle (more so than would on a radial tire) and wear there fast than the rest of the tread. You need at minimum an 8.25" wide wheel, 9.75" wide would be better.

tommi3520

I sent the guys at alfa heaven an e-mail about the m880 and he answered like this:

Im sorry sir because this is an ex-military truck it must remain with in this country.

what the ****!?!?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tom, language like that will get you purged from this website. I've removed that word but anymore extreme profanity will be dealt with accordingly.

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tommi when the truck is sold by the Gov't, the buyer must agree not to export it or knowingly transfer it to someone who has the intention of exporting it. These export restrictions do not apply to all countries though, I would think that export to Iceland is permisable. I am not aware of any such restrictions after it has changed ownership from the original buyer.
Still before you plop any money down on one, I would suggest that you contact US customs and Icelands customs, to be sure.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks