• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Some newbie questions

Nutro

I've been lurking around and reading as many posts as I can. I'm wanting to buy a Deuce in the near future and found a local guy (and member here) that has a few for sale.

I've seen a few people here suggesting to other newbs to get a 5-ton truck. Why is that?

I'm tempted to go that route instead of GL because I am clueless when it comes to these trucks, getting them started, driving them, working on 'em etc etc

I see people suggesting GSA as well, I went there and saw no auctions. Where do I find them on GSA?

I'm probably going to sell some of my rifles to help my purchase plans but if not, I'm trying to formulate a plan.

Thanks guys!

kc5mzd

Stick with a 3rd party that will let you start the truck and show you how to drive it. GL is good if you wan't to buy an extra parts truck. a M35 should be fine in Austin. Regular drivers license and regular auto insurance are usually fine.
A 5ton will require a class B drivers license because a 5 ton is over 26,000lbs. If you pull a trailer you would need a class A license. In TX you would not need a CDL and the 1,000,000 liability insurance. But you might need a diffrent insurance policy with higher limits. 3 axles are fine in TX but in some states they can be a problem.
When you register it they let you tell them the weight. A M35a2 is usually 13,000 empty and 18,000 max loaded. Reg should be less than 300.00 per year. If you only drive it to events you can register it as a military vehicle under their antique vehicle program for 10.00 per year.

kc5mzd

Make sure you get a clear title! You will have problems if you buy from a private party and use a sf97 or government title transfer. If there is no title you can't get one in Texas on a military vehicle unless you are the one that buys it from the Government and you have a sf97 in your name.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks