• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Some pictures of the new to me 1986 M1009

iasc399ia

I started a welcome thread without pictures. Here are some pictures of the M1009. It was a South Carolina Forestry vehicle.
I added the don't tread of me stickers
I am still looking for back hatch with glass to replace the hatch now.
I have about $600 in engine work done to her with a little left to go that why the dash is out. Interior needs some work. But mechanic said the engine was good, tranny was good and the 4x4 was good. So overall im happy adding some KC daylighters to the grill today.
Let me know what you think or any recommendations I should add.
Thanks

Attachments

Last edited:

Al Harvey

Not a bad looking truck. The first thing I'd do is flip the interior over, it was put in upside down. LOL rofl

Is it still 24V? If so there are a lot of options for lighting.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Take care of the mechanicals and the cosmetics can come later.

I bet you will have a head ache after driving upside down. ;-)

iasc399ia

I'm not good with with tablet thing and can't figure out how to flip those two pictures sorry.

Its still 24 volt. What are these lighting options you speak of?:)

cucvrus

I just returned 1 of my KC POD HID lights to KC in AZ for repairs. It was 24 volt when it left here and when it came back it was 12 volt. I called and spoke with the customer service man in the repair center. He said that it does not make the light any brighter if it is 12 volt or 24 volt. It still puts out the same wattage. I said but now I have 1 24 volt and 1 12 volt on the same circuit. He said I have 2 options return the 1 - 12 volt and he would convert it to 24 volt or send the 24 volt and he would convert that to 12 volt. Well The repairs were N/C and that was a no brainer. I sent the 24 volt light back and they completely rebuilt the entire lamp. The only part that was original was the carbon fiber housing. They had new lenses , bulbs , reflectors and all. And it was a Freebie. I know they are brighter now but after the other ones were on the truck for 5 years and 80K miles it was not a fair comparison. My son sent these lights home from Iraq and they are amazing how bright they are in the back country of northern PA. Do as you want with lights. But voltage will not make the light any brighter from what I am seeing. Good Luck with your truck. Is that a Plexiglas back window?

Skinny

Wiring any accessories on the 24v side tends to balance out the loads on the CUCV since you are utilizing both batts and gens instead of just one set. Plus you can get away with smaller wiring on the 24v side (if we are talking same wattage for comparison). As far as the HID being twice as bright from 12v to 24v...doubtful. You are really just talking about the supply power circuit. Once you go through the module to the HID assembly, everything changes.

iasc399ia

I just returned 1 of my KC POD HID lights to KC in AZ for repairs. It was 24 volt when it left here and when it came back it was 12 volt. I called and spoke with the customer service man in the repair center. He said that it does not make the light any brighter if it is 12 volt or 24 volt. It still puts out the same wattage. I said but now I have 1 24 volt and 1 12 volt on the same circuit. He said I have 2 options return the 1 - 12 volt and he would convert it to 24 volt or send the 24 volt and he would convert that to 12 volt. Well The repairs were N/C and that was a no brainer. I sent the 24 volt light back and they completely rebuilt the entire lamp. The only part that was original was the carbon fiber housing. They had new lenses , bulbs , reflectors and all. And it was a Freebie. I know they are brighter now but after the other ones were on the truck for 5 years and 80K miles it was not a fair comparison. My son sent these lights home from Iraq and they are amazing how bright they are in the back country of northern PA. Do as you want with lights. But voltage will not make the light any brighter from what I am seeing. Good Luck with your truck. Is that a Plexiglas back window?
Rear hatch was bent and window broken. Yes, that's plaxiglass

cucvrus

That is defiantly a tailgate that I would be able to salvage and get back in working order. It would beat the pants off of a Chinese knockoff replacement. That has a little work that needs done but 1 weekend a few strips of steel , welder and a case of beer and that thing would be 95% back to original. I wouldn't worry about the other 5% because it ain't going to happen. The gate can be made 100% functional and fit for a lot less then replacing it. Good Luck. Let us know if you need any tips on rebuilding the gate. Send me a PM. Thank you.

iasc399ia

That is defiantly a tailgate that I would be able to salvage and get back in working order. It would beat the pants off of a Chinese knockoff replacement. That has a little work that needs done but 1 weekend a few strips of steel , welder and a case of beer and that thing would be 95% back to original. I wouldn't worry about the other 5% because it ain't going to happen. The gate can be made 100% functional and fit for a lot less then replacing it. Good Luck. Let us know if you need any tips on rebuilding the gate. Send me a PM. Thank you.
I need help on rebuilding the gate. I would love to keep the tailgate and keep it original. I'm just not a fixer upper type of guy. The back right is bent so it will not bend or latch, it is held closed with a huge tow ratchet strap I bought. The plexiglass is in there because piece of glass won't go in because of the bend.

iasc399ia

The kc hid lights are 24volt so they should just hook up to the batteries and work yes? Or am I missing something?

ssdvc

Rick, your mailbox is full.

cucvrus

The kc hid lights are 24volt so they should just hook up to the batteries and work yes? Or am I missing something?
They were 24 volt. And I just had them converted to 12 volt. It did not change the function or brightness of them at all. And I can use them the rest of my life on any vehicle I own. That makes them more valuable to me.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks